Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

971 - Reverse Camera Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 01:56 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Question 971 - Reverse Camera Cover?

Hey fellas - was closing my rear hatch the other day and noticed this "ghost ring" around the rear camera:

Macan looks different(sorry for the lame picture) - almost like there is a dome over the whole thing:

Can anyone with another 971 take a look at their camera and see if it looks like mine(has that "ghost ring"), or is different? If yours looks different, would you include a pic?

Things like this matter before warranties expire...

Thanks!

Last edited by AcousTech; 05-21-2021 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-21-2021, 06:22 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 687 Likes on 413 Posts

Assume prior to CPO expiration you’ll have dealer got thru car and check if anything needs fixing before warranty expires. They get paid for warranty work so benefits them to find issues. Tell them to check cam, if missing part (which appears to be), they’ll replace it.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:43 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Sure, will be doing that, but having a picture to make the case would help…
Old 05-26-2021, 12:49 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Can anyone send picture of how their reverse camera looks? Would be much appreciated!
Old 05-27-2021, 11:38 AM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I took some pictures from all angles of the rear camera on my GTS Sport Turismo. I hope they're helpful for you. (Note: Sorry about the dirtiness of the car, it rained last night and I haven't had a chance to clean the car today.)

Old 05-27-2021, 12:11 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Ah ha! That is very helpful. Thank you. One related question. What model year is your GTS ST?
Old 05-27-2021, 01:45 PM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

It’s a 2020.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:20 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Assume prior to CPO expiration you’ll have dealer got thru car and check if anything needs fixing before warranty expires. They get paid for warranty work so benefits them to find issues. Tell them to check cam, if missing part (which appears to be), they’ll replace it.
Does that cost the customer to tell them to "go though the car" Or is that something they do for free when it's still under CPO
Old 05-27-2021, 06:38 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

It shouldn't cost the customer, but the dealer might not know to look for this either. So if you check your car and find it missing, and you're under original, or CPO warranty, at least in theory, it should be covered.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:57 AM
abram borukh
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AcousTech
It shouldn't cost the customer, but the dealer might not know to look for this either. So if you check your car and find it missing, and you're under original, or CPO warranty, at least in theory, it should be covered.
this is incorrect . If they inspect the car and find nothing wrong then there is a $175 fee even if you’re under warranty
Old 05-29-2021, 01:34 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Ahhh, thanks @abram borukh . I see your point. What I intended to mean was that _if_ that cover belongs there, and _if_ it is missing, and _if_ the car is covered by a CPO warranty, _then_ there should be no cost to the customer. However, even with that clarification I believe I was still wrong, because I think with the CPO there is still a deductible. So perhaps it shakes out like this:

Under original warranty: no cost
Under CPO warranty: deductible cost
Under CPO warranty - car inspection finds nothing wrong: $175

Does that make sense? Am I capturing it more accurately now?

Thanks again for the feedback/clarification!

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:39 PM
abram borukh
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AcousTech
Ahhh, thanks @abram borukh . I see your point. What I intended to mean was that _if_ that cover belongs there, and _if_ it is missing, and _if_ the car is covered by a CPO warranty, _then_ there should be no cost to the customer. However, even with that clarification I believe I was still wrong, because I think with the CPO there is still a deductible. So perhaps it shakes out like this:

Under original warranty: no cost
Under CPO warranty: deductible cost
Under CPO warranty - car inspection finds nothing wrong: $175

Does that make sense? Am I capturing it more accurately now?

Thanks again for the feedback/clarification!

Thanks.
yes this is correct . I kinda understand the fee too as it prevents people from coming in for useless issues . Also note that this fee is only when you’re under CPO . If you’re under the original warranty there is no fee if they find nothing wrong . This is what I know from experience
Old 05-29-2021, 02:03 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by abram borukh
yes this is correct . I kinda understand the fee too as it prevents people from coming in for useless issues . Also note that this fee is only when you’re under CPO . If you’re under the original warranty there is no fee if they find nothing wrong . This is what I know from experience
I feel as though you could put up a big "stink" and not pay the fee. If you feel there's something wrong, the dealers might have missed it. I've had huge fights with the dealer techs at Audi because they didn't know what they where doing and couldn't find the issue even when there was clearly an issue.

Quick Reply: 971 - Reverse Camera Cover?