Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Need Help: Custom Build of 2021 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid (first Porsche!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 02:03 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Need Help: Custom Build of 2021 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid (first Porsche!)

Hi all: I placed a custom build order to buy a 2021 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid and would appreciate your feedback on some of the customization. My first Porsche ever and I'm so excited! I have learned so much from your posts already and thank you in advance. My last day for changes is May 4 (June build and August delivery). First what I am pretty set on: Premium Package, head-up display, 21” SportDesign wheels in jet black (with red calipers), clear taillights, black tailpipes, and high gloss black window trim, door handles, and model designation. Next, what I really can’t decide and need your help:

1) Ext. color – Chalk, Jet Black, or Black? (with the jet black wheels)
a. I’ve always loved black on black (had it on my F-Type, Mustang, and 550i) and would love it on a 971 but I also do love the unique chalk!
2) Int. full leather color – Black, Black/Bordeaux Red, or Marsala (open to any other suggestion too)
a. Really torn on this one! Always have had black and it’s the safe choice, but really tempted to pick something that takes the interior to the next level. My only real hesitancy with Bordeaux red is if it’s “too much” red? That's probably b/c I'm just used to black but would appreciate any insight (if you went through something like this, did you love it and get used to it or regret it)? Also, any concern on resale value? My SA insists red would be more in demand, is that true?
3) For the 21” SportDesign wheels – any reason to get high gloss instead of jet black (which should be easier to maintain)?

4) Any option that is really worth it but I am missing? From cosmetic to performance-related, etc.? FYI, I’m in SoCal in case you consider weather or anything else.

Thank you all so much! Photos of my current build from Configurator:

EDIT: it will have black/all-glass roof; dealer tells me the configurator has a glitch which is why it shows the roof in chalk.

Last edited by SS22; 04-29-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:30 AM
Propofoln
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I think your on the right track. My last Panamera was chalk with chalk interior. Chalk looks great and is SUPER easy to take care of. It doesn’t show dirt at all. Black will get dirty instantly and show Swirl marks. The chalk is such an easy color to live with. I would go with the red interior on it also. It takes the luxury level up a notch and looks great. I had the garnet red interior in a previous Macan Turbo for 3 years and never tired of it. Still looked good after 50k miles. If you listen to music and like High quality music, I highly recommend the Burmester in the Panamera. It sounds fantastic. Amazing really. Best option IMO you can get. I’ve had the insulated glass too and wouldn’t order, as it doesn’t make that big of difference and messes with the radar detector. I like the black accents and lettering, so think you are on the right track there
The following users liked this post:
SS22 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 12:22 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Since you live in a fairly warm and sunny place I would definitely get the thermal glass. It both insulates against heat and the sun and it really minimizes outside noise.
SS22 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 12:41 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

You've definitely reassured me. Thank you! The Burmester definitely sounds nice but is it worth the extra $6k (really 6.5k w/ tax)? Consider that I will be listening to music with Spotify premium through BT, have been used to the Harmon Kardon surround system in my 550i, and while I love music and good sound, it's not super critical to me. I was thinking the extra $1.6k on Bose would hit the sweet spot and offer very good sound, even if not the best. But open to be convinced the Burmester is really worth an extra 6.5k!
Old 04-29-2021, 12:54 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm planning on tinting the glass so not as concerned about the sun/heat. As for noise, would it have any effect on minimizing the car's own exhaust noise? I would hate to minimize the Panamera's beautiful sound!
Old 04-29-2021, 01:10 PM
Propofoln
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
You've definitely reassured me. Thank you! The Burmester definitely sounds nice but is it worth the extra $6k (really 6.5k w/ tax)? Consider that I will be listening to music with Spotify premium through BT, have been used to the Harmon Kardon surround system in my 550i, and while I love music and good sound, it's not super critical to me. I was thinking the extra $1.6k on Bose would hit the sweet spot and offer very good sound, even if not the best. But open to be convinced the Burmester is really worth an extra 6.5k!
yes. The Burmester is the best sounding sound system I’ve had in any vehicle, and I always splurge for top system. It’s truly amazing. Plug the iPhone in and play 320 Spotify, and I also use Tidal with the lossless streaming (listening now actually). I’m on my second Panamera (Turbo S), and my Previous Panamera Turbo had insulated glass and my Current one doesn’t. I can’t tell that much difference with noise at all. The Panamera is naturally a quiet vehicle inside. I tinted it, so that helps when heat. I hated what the insulated glass did to my installed Radenso radar. I had to mount the two GPS antennas next to the rear view mirror which looked ugly AF, because that’s the only place GPS signal would get through. My new Turbo S had the antennas mounted under dash as it has no reception issues since there isn’t the insulated glass.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:33 PM
FC356
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

The Chalk exterior with the red interior is just fantastic looking.The red is very understated and rich. I bought my ST in Volcano with black as a CPO and enjoy it. but if I had a choice to spec I may have done the Red or Truffle with the Volcano.

The maintenance/reward with Black is just not appealing to me.

I know you will enjoy no matter how you spec the colors.
SS22 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:49 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Propofoln
yes. The Burmester is the best sounding sound system I’ve had in any vehicle, and I always splurge for top system. It’s truly amazing. Plug the iPhone in and play 320 Spotify, and I also use Tidal with the lossless streaming (listening now actually). I’m on my second Panamera (Turbo S), and my Previous Panamera Turbo had insulated glass and my Current one doesn’t. I can’t tell that much difference with noise at all. The Panamera is naturally a quiet vehicle inside. I tinted it, so that helps when heat. I hated what the insulated glass did to my installed Radenso radar. I had to mount the two GPS antennas next to the rear view mirror which looked ugly AF, because that’s the only place GPS signal would get through. My new Turbo S had the antennas mounted under dash as it has no reception issues since there isn’t the insulated glass.
Alright, I’m seriously considering this. By the way, glad you said 320, made me look up my Spotify settings and realized it was on “auto” — changed that real fast to highest 320 quality!
Propofoln (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:49 PM
trinerd
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll echo a lot of what the others have said so far. My PTST is chalk with saddle brown interior and I'd definitely recommend chalk. It looks really different depending on the light, is really easy to take care of and keep looking clean (especially if you're lazy like me and don't religiously wash your car), and looks great with a lot of different interior colors. My neighbor has a chalk Cayenne GTS Coupe with red interior and it looks amazing

I also have Burmester and thermally/noise insulated glass and would recommend both. I'm no audiophile or anything but the Burmester sounds wonderful whether I'm listening to the radio or via my iPhone and here in Arizona the glass makes a clear difference in keeping the car a little cooler in the summer. The exhaust note is definitely muted in the cabin with the insulated glass windows up but you'll have a similar issue with the regular glass, just maybe not as pronounced. Personally I like the insulated glass for the heat and long road trips and just crack the sunroof or open the windows to listen to the exhaust.

That's a nice build you have there, let us know what you decide on and be sure to post some pictures when it arrives!
SS22 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:52 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FC356
The Chalk exterior with the red interior is just fantastic looking.The red is very understated and rich. I bought my ST in Volcano with black as a CPO and enjoy it. but if I had a choice to spec I may have done the Red or Truffle with the Volcano.

The maintenance/reward with Black is just not appealing to me.

I know you will enjoy no matter how you spec the colors.
Glad you’re enjoying your car. Thanks for the reassurance! I think I’m gonna go for it with the Black/Bordeaux red interior!

Last edited by SS22; 04-29-2021 at 06:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SS22:
FC356 (04-30-2021), Propofoln (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 06:16 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trinerd
I'll echo a lot of what the others have said so far. My PTST is chalk with saddle brown interior and I'd definitely recommend chalk. It looks really different depending on the light, is really easy to take care of and keep looking clean (especially if you're lazy like me and don't religiously wash your car), and looks great with a lot of different interior colors. My neighbor has a chalk Cayenne GTS Coupe with red interior and it looks amazing

I also have Burmester and thermally/noise insulated glass and would recommend both. I'm no audiophile or anything but the Burmester sounds wonderful whether I'm listening to the radio or via my iPhone and here in Arizona the glass makes a clear difference in keeping the car a little cooler in the summer. The exhaust note is definitely muted in the cabin with the insulated glass windows up but you'll have a similar issue with the regular glass, just maybe not as pronounced. Personally I like the insulated glass for the heat and long road trips and just crack the sunroof or open the windows to listen to the exhaust.

That's a nice build you have there, let us know what you decide on and be sure to post some pictures when it arrives!
I think I see your PTST in your avatar -- looks awesome! I think you guys sold me on the chalk; looks great and easy maintenance is a plus.

I can see the thermal glass being handy in Arizona or even the desert here in CA. I'm in OC and have pretty mild weather so I think the tint will be enough for me. Good to know that it does mute the exhaust note a bit.

On Burmester, it sounds like a no brainer if it was even 1-2k extra, but I'm still struggling to justify 6k+ more than Bose. Maybe I need to go to the dealership and test Bose v. Burmester!

And thank you, will def. post photos when it arrives (cannot wait)!!
Old 04-29-2021, 10:44 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi all: I placed a custom build order to buy a 2021 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid and would appreciate your feedback on some of the customization. My first Porsche ever and I'm so excited! I have learned so much from your posts already and thank you in advance. My last day for changes is May 4 (June build and August delivery). First what I am pretty set on: Premium Package, head-up display, 21” SportDesign wheels in jet black (with red calipers), clear taillights, black tailpipes, and high gloss black window trim, door handles, and model designation. Next, what I really can’t decide and need your help:

1) Ext. color – Chalk, Jet Black, or Black? (with the jet black wheels)
a. I’ve always loved black on black (had it on my F-Type, Mustang, and 550i) and would love it on a 971 but I also do love the unique chalk!
2) Int. full leather color – Black, Black/Bordeaux Red, or Marsala (open to any other suggestion too)
a. Really torn on this one! Always have had black and it’s the safe choice, but really tempted to pick something that takes the interior to the next level. My only real hesitancy with Bordeaux red is if it’s “too much” red? That's probably b/c I'm just used to black but would appreciate any insight (if you went through something like this, did you love it and get used to it or regret it)? Also, any concern on resale value? My SA insists red would be more in demand, is that true?
3) For the 21” SportDesign wheels – any reason to get high gloss instead of jet black (which should be easier to maintain)?

4) Any option that is really worth it but I am missing? From cosmetic to performance-related, etc.? FYI, I’m in SoCal in case you consider weather or anything else.

Thank you all so much! Photos of my current build from Configurator:

EDIT: it will have black/all-glass roof; dealer tells me the configurator has a glitch which is why it shows the roof in chalk.
That is a great build. I would add Carbon trim and a carbon steering wheel. That will really sharpen up the interior. The Bordeaux interior looks amazing. I've seen them in a few cars and it is my favorite interior on the Panamera.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:47 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Also I wouldn't get those wheels. They look small because of the chrome ring around the edge. Plus the spokes looks bit dated. Get the Exclusive Design wheels in Jet Black. That one is more modern looking and seems bigger even through both are 21"
Old 04-29-2021, 11:27 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
That is a great build. I would add Carbon trim and a carbon steering wheel. That will really sharpen up the interior. The Bordeaux interior looks amazing. I've seen them in a few cars and it is my favorite interior on the Panamera.
Thank you! Good idea, I was thinking of how to spice up the steering wheel actually. The GT option doesn’t add much but I’m with you on the carbon fiber look.

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Also I wouldn't get those wheels. They look small because of the chrome ring around the edge. Plus the spokes looks bit dated. Get the Exclusive Design wheels in Jet Black. That one is more modern looking and seems bigger even through both are 21"
Funny you said this because I wish I could get the wheels in ALL black and do away with the chrome edge. I agree the 21” exclusive design does seem bigger than the 21” sport design but my issue is all that chrome in it (comparison photo below). There’s no other 21” black option that I’m missing is there?

Old 04-30-2021, 01:46 AM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm planning on tinting the glass so not as concerned about the sun/heat. As for noise, would it have any effect on minimizing the car's own exhaust noise? I would hate to minimize the Panamera's beautiful sound!
i have thermal glass and sport exhaust on my 2021. With windows closed, you can still hear engine note. You hear more when windows rolled down of course. Tinting porsche windows is not a good idea as the film will be scratched easily due to the way porsche doors are designed. Thermal glass works pretty well under direct sunlight, highly recommend it. For burmaster, you need good sound source like lossless music files or streaming app, eg Tidal, otherwise l, it amplifies the flaws in poorer audio sources.

Quick Reply: Need Help: Custom Build of 2021 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid (first Porsche!)