Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Reliability of the 971 panamera E-hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020 | 12:47 AM
Li Sunny
2nd Gear

Cool Reliability of the 971 panamera E-hybrid

Hi everyone, my 971 Panamera Ehybrid is almost 3 years old and the June of 2022 is the time when the warranty is not longer valid. I am not very familiar about hybrid cars, since this is my first one. Do you guys think that the Panamera E hybrid is a reliable long time keeper? Did anyone of you have had issue with the 971 Panamera E hybrid engine or electrical system, since the engine is continuously turning on and off? I really appreciate your opinion and answer, Thank you.

Old 12-23-2020 | 02:59 AM
gougoul
Advanced

I doubt they're super reliable.

Battery pack etc has a longer warranty. so that shoudn't be a worry. If I were you, I would buy the warranty extension if allowed ...
It ain't that expensive.
Old 12-24-2020 | 12:51 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Read the extremely long Panamera 4 E-Hybrid thread to see what kinds of problems owners have reported.
As for engines turning on and off a lot, companies like Porsche (Panamera) and Toyota (Prius) and GM (Volt) have experience with nearly a decade of building and improving PHEV drive trains. I would not hesitate to keep an E-Hybrid for the length of battery warranty if I liked it enough, but I personally would probably opt for a Porsche drive-train extended warranty past the factory warranty (or CPO warranty). I am perhaps one of the rare E-Hybrid owners who actually enjoys driving in all-electric mode around town and who tries to get the maximum all-electric miles possible when driving locally; as such, I'm done with the small 14-kwH battery pack of the 2018-2020 E-Hybrids and am looking closely at the 17.9-kWh battery pack in the new 2021 models. My wife just got a RAV4 Prime with the 18-kWh battery pack, and she's driving about 95% of the time locally in all-electric mode with a good 35 miles of all-electric range even in sub-freezing temps. A Porsche PHEV won't get 35 miles in sub-freezing weather with an 18-kWh pack, but it should routinely get 30 miles in warm weather and probably 25 miles in sub-freezing weather -- which is a huge improvement over the 14-kWh pack (23-24 miles and 18 miles, respectively, are my summer vs. winter averages of all-electric range in my 2018 Pan4 E-Hybrid). [I'll add that the RAV4 Prime has a pretty-darn-good drive train in terms of seemlessly going back and forth between all-electric and ICE (like my Pan4 E-Hybrid), and the RAV4 Prime actually stays in all-electric mode more and longer in sub-freezing temps than does my Pan4 E-H; the RAV4 Prime furthermore seems less touchy than the Pan4 E-H in that it tends to stay more in all-electric mode longer when accelerating hard than the Pan4 E-H does (i.e., the Pan4 tends to turn on the ICE more quickly than does the RAV4 when kept in all-electric mode). Toyota has really hit a home run with its RAV4 Prime -- by far the best Toyota ever made with an ICE in it, from what I can see.]

Last edited by cometguy; 12-24-2020 at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
regancc (12-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Reliability of the 971 panamera E-hybrid