Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Winter wheel/tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 03:50 PM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraownr
ACowabunga, what shop did you use for powder coating your new 20" wheels? I live near Annapolis and got my 2018 Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo six weeks ago. It came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires on what I believe are the same 21" Exclusive Design wheels (jet black metallic) that you have. Like you, I want to go to Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, as the Pirellis are not rated very highly, but need 20" wheels to get the proper sizes with the Michelins. The additional sidewall height will be welcome too. Did you ask Get Porsche Parts if they would provide the MPS A/S 4 instead of the Michelin Alpins they are advertising in their winter wheel/tire package?

Thanks for your help.
Hi Cobraownr,

This is what I did / who I used:

1. I ordered the silver 20" winter wheel set and Black Valve Stems from GetPorscheParts.com but because of COVID I couldn't pick them up from Silver Spring Porsche but they shipped them, via UPS, for FREE. The UPS guy delivered them to my driveway and all I had to do was take wheels off the pallet. The pallet has come in handy now that the 21" wheels need a place to rest.
2. I ordered the black Porsche center caps from eBay and they fit perfectly.
3. I ordered the exact 20" tire sizes (275/40 & 315/35) that the Michelin Alpin winter tires were and what would come OEM on 20" wheels from America's Tire / Discount Tire.
4. I then just delivered the A/S 4 tires and winter wheel set to Wheel Onsite Wheel Repair, 22800 Executive Drive, Suite #170, Sterling, VA. (Note: The Terminal Dr. address listed on the website is their business office)
5. I was able to fit a four of wheels and/or tires in one trip (two trips needed for drop off and pickup) by putting the rear wheels in the middle of the car sort of offset and one leaning on the other while stacking the front tires on each other in the rear. After the wheels were done, you have your choice of placing one front wheel in the front seat or bringing along a blanket or a cushion to place between the two stacked wheels and securing them.
6. I've been enjoying driving on the 20" wheels so much, I really doubt if I'm going back to the 21" set in the spring and now looking to get rid of the never used 20" Alpins.
7. The only thing to note is that the width of the rear winter wheel is 10.5" compared to 11.5" of a regular wheel. It has not affected the fit of the rear tire and the bonus is that it will allow the placement of snow chains should you need to mount them. The rear wheel still allows me to drive as aggressively as I want to without drawing the attention of the local authorities. #justsaying.

I hope this answers all your questions. If you have any more, just let me know.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Cobraownr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks so much for all of the details about your wheel/tire swap, ACowabunga. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. With our DMV area getting relatively little snow (thankfully) except in the very occasional "Snowmageddon," and my ability to avoid driving in really adverse circumstances since I am retired, a good all season tire like the Michelin Pilot 4 All Season would seem to suit me just fine. I have a set of Blizak Snow & Ice tires for my 2015 Volkswagen Golf R Launch Edition that the Sport Turismo will be replacing. After five years with the Golf R I never felt I needed the Snow & Ice tires for the driving that I actually do. Thanks again.
1988 959 Komfort #167; Silver Metallic/3-tone grey (sold)
1977 930 Silver/Green (sold)
Old 12-30-2020, 06:07 PM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

After driving through a few of the usual areas that accumulate water after rain falls with the new A/S 4s, I have much more confidence in these new tires than the original Pirellis P7s that were prone to hydroplaning in the same conditions. Yes, the Alpins are way overkill for this area but what I really wanted were the 20" OEM rims and the TPMS sensors so that I didn't have to remove them from my original rims. With the way I did it, I just wanted to be able to mount my original 21" wheels onto the car without swapping anything back and forth or just sell the wheels with that mindset.

BTW, congrats on the on your Turbo S. I am sure you're going to love it. Hopefully we'll run into each other on a few regional dine and drives in 2021. There aren't many of us driving the Panameras at the events.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:08 AM
sgarrick
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default P7 and rain/water is truly embarrassing.

First time I drove in the rain, at decent speed, I was a little nervous. The Pirelli P7s are truly a huge disappointment.

Enjoy the more surefooted dynamics!

Originally Posted by ACowabunga
After driving through a few of the usual areas that accumulate water after rain falls with the new A/S 4s, I have much more confidence in these new tires than the original Pirellis P7s that were prone to hydroplaning in the same conditions. Yes, the Alpins are way overkill for this area but what I really wanted were the 20" OEM rims and the TPMS sensors so that I didn't have to remove them from my original rims. With the way I did it, I just wanted to be able to mount my original 21" wheels onto the car without swapping anything back and forth or just sell the wheels with that mindset.

BTW, congrats on the on your Turbo S. I am sure you're going to love it. Hopefully we'll run into each other on a few regional dine and drives in 2021. There aren't many of us driving the Panameras at the events.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:39 PM
Vintage12
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOutside

These are the powder coated wheels I purchased .
Very nice. Are those 971 compatible 64/62 offset? I need to find a Winter setup and like the idea of powder coated 19" wheels in black - will suit the Volcano Grey nicely. Tried my 21" half worn P7 M&S setup but way to slippery in the snow.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:27 AM
bjterp00
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got 20" Porsche OEM winter wheels / tires on my new '21 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid, with the Michelin Alpin tires. I have 21" wheels as my summer setup, though I've not seen them on the car yet as it was delivered in December and the dealer had already put the winters on for me. So, here in Europe, 20" Alpins are definitely available.

Here are the tire specs:
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec
F: 275/40R20 106V XL M+S N0
R: 315/35R20 100V XL M+S N0

The roads here in Switzerland are great, so I don't have to worry about short sidewalls. In NJ, I had an Audi S7, and ran 19" winters, though I never had issues with NJ potholes and my 20" summers -- I guess I just got good at dodging them, and was always careful in April after getting the summers back on before street repairs where done.

Hard to compare across cars, but I've had no issues with 20" Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series IIs on my 911. They handle pretty well with spirited driving ... I've not really driven it in any meaningful amount of snow. I was also happy with the 19" Continental ContiWinterContact TS830's on my S7; they lasted quite a while with little wear, and handled fine for lightly spirited driving in the winter. They were definitely beasts on weekend runs into the mountains to ski. The Swiss keep the roads amazingly clean, but running in a few inches of snow or slush was never an issue. All that said, I've been impressed with the Alpins on the Panamera, and would probably choose them as the best -- handle well, pretty quiet (which is important when running in full electric mode), and - so far - fine in light snow / slush.

You can see below the 20" setup I have on my Panamera ... the winter wheels / tire package is part number 971 044 600 D.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:36 AM
bjterp00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrOutside
I found a set of power coated 19" wheels on eBay for $1200 and then ordered the Pilot Alpin PA4 tires (Tire Rack only had the rears, but I found the fronts at online tires.com). I just need to find some TPMS sensors for the new wheels. I'll post some pics once everything gets here. Appreciate all the help!
Whoops ... sorry my post on 20" tires was late ... now see that you already went with 19" ones ... awesome wheel choice!
Old 01-01-2021, 12:17 PM
Vintage12
Advanced

Nice setup. Did they increase the front disc / rotor size on the 4S EH? Hardly looks like there would be room to spec 19" wheels. I'm just fitting out a regular 4 EH but would be nice to know a Winter set would be compatible down the road with the 4S or even Turbo Hybrid. Maybe I should consider 20".
Old 01-01-2021, 01:45 PM
bjterp00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vintage12
Nice setup. Did they increase the front disc / rotor size on the 4S EH? Hardly looks like there would be room to spec 19" wheels. I'm just fitting out a regular 4 EH but would be nice to know a Winter set would be compatible down the road with the 4S or even Turbo Hybrid. Maybe I should consider 20".
Yes, the 4S E-Hybrid has 410 mm front rotors, vs 390 mm on the 4 E-Hybrid. The online configurator has 19" wheels as standard on the 4 with options for 20" and 21" ... the 4S starts with 20" wheels, and does not have a 19" option. So, if you want 4S optionality, definitely go with 20".
The following users liked this post:
Vintage12 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 02:45 PM
Vintage12
Advanced

Originally Posted by bjterp00
Yes, the 4S E-Hybrid has 410 mm front rotors, vs 390 mm on the 4 E-Hybrid. The online configurator has 19" wheels as standard on the 4 with options for 20" and 21" ... the 4S starts with 20" wheels, and does not have a 19" option. So, if you want 4S optionality, definitely go with 20".
Ah. Very helpful, think I will future proof myself a little bit and target some gloss or satin black 20" wheels dressed in Winter Alpins. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
bjterp00 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:06 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm late to this thread, but I thought I'd offer this link. It is great for matching the diameter of your regular tires to the diameter of a substitute tire. It also helps you see the proper wheel width.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Old 01-13-2021, 11:18 AM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

So I finally got my winter tires mounted and wheels installed yesterday. Temp was around 25 this morning and no ‘acorning’ as I pulled out of driveway. No issues with clearance on using 19” wheels on a 4S. Happy with the choice I made.

Last edited by MrOutside; 01-13-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:49 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

@MrOutside wheels and tires look great!
Old 01-13-2021, 01:25 PM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Ditto what Lexhair said. Your wheels definitely help add to the black accents that you already have on your car from the front splinter and all the way around. I am glad that you're happy MrOutside as this wheel and tire setup should serve you well this winter in NJ.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks everyone!!! Car should drive like a snowmobile now! Lol 😂

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire questions