Largest Tire Size on OEM Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 04:11 PM
Alberto521
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Largest Tire Size on OEM Wheel

Hello all,

Fist, I do not own a Porsche, I work at a shop, but we have seen an increase on Porsche's coming in.

I have a customer with a 2016 Porsche Panamera, AWD Turbo, and he wants to buy tires, he keeps asking "What is the biggest tire size that can fit on the factory rear wheels" (quotes to make Google search land here).

Now, from experience with other AWD vehicles, I know all four tires should be either a) The same diameter, or b) Within a % diameter variance from one another

For example, using the OEM tire sizes: Front 255/40R20 and Rear 295/35R20 I get these numbers for differences between the two:

Front is 28 inches in diameter Rear is 28.1 inches in diameter, therefore the rear is 0.4% larger in diameter. It also calculates tire revolutions for every 720 revolutions the front tire goes, the rear only goes 717 revolutions.

- So the question: What is the largest tire size that can be put on the rear wheel on a 2016 Porsche Panamera with the factory wheels?
- What are the tolerances on the Porsche AWD system? Is it a time bomb and very delicate like in a Subaru?
- Do all four tires have to be same brand / style? (For example, All four tires have to be a CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW, Cant have two Conti Exreme and two Conti TrueContact for example, or two Michellins and two Pirellis)
- How about tread depth, how close to each other do the tires have to be?

Thank you,

Quick Reply: Largest Tire Size on OEM Wheel