Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Changing carbon ceramic brakes to steel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 02:26 AM
magnus81
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing carbon ceramic brakes to steel?

Hi.
I have found a Panamera Turbo 2010 with all the specs that I want, but it has ceramic brakes.
I have nothing against ceramic brakes but if they chip and has to be exchanged I dont want to spend $20k on a $30k-car...

Has anyone actually changed the discs and pads to regular steel discs without changing the calipers?
Or are there other after market ceramic brakes with a lower price tag that will be bolt on without modification?
Old 05-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Addbuyer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have ceramic breaks and had similar concerns about their replacement cost / renewal. They are awesome, no issues in the three years I’ve had the car other than a snapped bleed nipple on both rear callipers which resulted in their replacement at a cost of £850 and that was done under warranty by Porsche. I was told they should easily out last the life of the car unless I was very unlucky. Just repair as and when.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:35 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

These folks say they can repair chipped ceramic rotors. I have not had the need to try the service. My rotors still look brand new after 38k miles.

http://www.fusionbrakes.com/carbon-c...ioning-program
Old 05-21-2020, 09:11 AM
Jinesh Naik
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumping this back up. I'm also looking at a car with PCCB and it has 70k miles. Got concerns with having to replace rotors at 10K plus.
If the rotors are in good shape, still worth considering?
Old 05-21-2020, 11:54 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinesh Naik
bumping this back up. I'm also looking at a car with PCCB and it has 70k miles. Got concerns with having to replace rotors at 10K plus.
If the rotors are in good shape, still worth considering?
The rotors can be replaced with steels if you need to do it, but they should last easily over 100k miles. Switching to steels is no different to cost of replacing steel rotors and pads. Only the large rotor and caliper size will mean you have to buy pretty large steel rotors. I do find that fusion company linked above very interesting though.

Personally I have never had to touch my PCCBs but I have never had very high miles.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:48 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Here's a YouTube video of how to measure the ceramic disks. I would do this, and assess the remaining life.

Depending upon use and care, the disks can go over 200K.
The following users liked this post:
Iticip (12-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Changing carbon ceramic brakes to steel?