Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

(865) Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:31 PM
orangeblood18
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default (865) Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass

I have a 2016 Panamera Turbo S that has the (865) thermally & noise insulated glass. It has tint on the window as well. Does anyone know for sure if the (865) thermally & noise insulated glass came from the factory with the tint integrated into the glass? Another words, no film applied on top of the glass. The glass does have the film applied on the inside of the glass. I can see and feel the lip of the film. I have a scratch on the inside of the passenger's side front window. I took the car by the dealer and they said warranty would not cover the scratched glass/tint due to aftermarket tint applied. They said the (865) thermally & noise insulated glass has tight tolerances and applying tint on top of it makes the glass really tight against the felt and/or plastic piece that keeps the dirt out and if a dirt particle does wedge itself between the glass and felt/plastic piece, it will cause the glass/tint scratch. Just want to be sure that this sounds right and if anyone has had this problem? Thank you for your help.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:55 AM
nischalr
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

From what I understand, the thermally insulated glass has a light reflective tint layer sandwiched in between the two layers of glass. Scratching aftermarket tint is a known issue on the Panamera's with or without the thermally insulated glass due to the tight tolerance as you described and the lack of felt on the inner lining of the glass/door interface. This may be exacerbated on the thermal glass optioned cars due to the possibly thicker overall profile of the double layer glass sandwich.

Many have had tint done with the installation of moleskin/felt on the inner aspect of the door panel to reduce scratching but this requires a very capable installer or the removal of the door panels by a qualified mechanic first.

I have seen kits from www.tintprotector.com used in the past with good success.

I have had two Panamera's and so far no issues with scratching despite having thermal glass on both of them without having the moleskin/felt installed. I attribute my luck to the fact I never was one to open the windows too often, and the short duration of my ownership.

long term, I think, replacing the tint every few years might be the solution if you want to avoid the moleskin/ felt option.

Hopefully others will chime in, but I feel confident that what the dealer is telling you is correct.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:23 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

My car has the thermally insulated glass and when I bought the car it was already tinted. However, the PO didn't install the moleskin/felt strip and all window tinting was scratched - especially the front windows that got the most use. Under my ownership, I had the old tint removed, felt installed and new tint applied. It's been several years now and no issues. This is very well documented - felt is relatively simple but you'll need a competent shop that can disassemble the door panels to do it right. Best of luck w/ yours
Old 05-13-2020, 06:08 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

The door panels are super easy to remove.
Undo half a dozen screws and they lift off (they are on hooks, not plastic rivets like most door cards).
There is a video around of some moron doing it in about 20 seconds - I’d advise a little more care....
The following users liked this post:
Mr Tee (05-19-2022)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:31 AM
borisma
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 21' cayenne has the thermally and noise insulated glass. I don't have smartphone compartment option. Did not find any issue with it.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:41 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the noise insulated glass make a noticeable difference on the sound level in the car?
Old 02-18-2021, 11:11 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

@orangeblood18 Is that Guards Red? Car looks fantastic. I generally don't care for the chrome trim around the door windows but it looks great with the machined lip finish on the wheels.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:20 AM
borisma
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to say as I did not compare with normal glass. The noise I heard is mainly from tire. But acceptable in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Fred2 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 06:46 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
@orangeblood18 Is that Guards Red? Car looks fantastic. I generally don't care for the chrome trim around the door windows but it looks great with the machined lip finish on the wheels.
+1, red isn't typically my first choice in color for cars...but I've been digging this car in red, a lot! Looks great

Old 05-19-2022, 03:57 AM
Spyderrman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the good insight. By chance, do you know if felt was added to the 2nd Gen Panny's (i.e. 2017 and later) to fix / moderate this issue?

Thanks

Quick Reply: (865) Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass