Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Auto Start / Stop A/S/S Removed after latest PCM Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 06:49 PM
Peter Victoria
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Start / Stop A/S/S Removed after latest PCM Update

I took my 2017 Panamera 971 ( v8 Twin Turbo Diesel 421hp ) in recently for some recall work, got the car back and found the A/S/S (auto start/ Stop) feature was gone from my PCM. Noticed that the car auto turned off in Sport and Sport + Modes also.
Contacted OPC and asked why it had gone,
Apparently all diesel Porsches in this range have to have A/S/S removed because of Emissions Control.
Apparently a Bulletin / Document direct from Porsche GB that will be sent to me regarding same.
I'm struggling to understand this..
Has anyone experienced this yet?
is this BS?
is there a work around.
Love to know your thoughts

video here:
Old 02-26-2020, 01:15 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I have read about this. Sounds like a good case for class action....
Old 02-26-2020, 05:15 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

I'd be PO'ed beyond repair, start/stop is a hard fail for me. I hope you see a resolution!
Old 02-28-2020, 03:32 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Wow! That sucks. Following...
Old 02-29-2020, 01:33 PM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Victoria
I took my 2017 Panamera 971 ( v8 Twin Turbo Diesel 421hp ) in recently for some recall work, got the car back and found the A/S/S (auto start/ Stop) feature was gone from my PCM. Noticed that the car auto turned off in Sport and Sport + Modes also.
Apparently all diesel Porsches in this range have to have A/S/S removed because of Emissions Control.
Apparently a Bulletin / Document direct from Porsche GB that will be sent to me regarding same.
is this BS?
is there a work around.

video here:
https://youtu.be/O1Ux9cgkSv8
1. No,
2. Probably not
3. Doubt it given the tight grip Porsche likes to have over software switches.

I'm not surprised as diesel emission certifications seem to be based on skin of the teeth test results where there is a very thin line between being certified as meeting the regulations and not. That said this would certainly seem to be driven by local regulation. So that would make the next question whether this was the last vestige of EU regulation, or if it is the first application of UK regulations post Brexit.

I do know as the owner of two large Volvo Marine Diesels, and previous owner of both Cat and Cummins marine diesels, the manufacturers in the US tend to keep tight control on the newer engines to ensure their certifications stay within the guidelines. In Volvo's case, the only work non Volvo Certified techs can undertake is lubrication and filters, and simple external mechanical repairs like belts and hoses. The engines are "sealed". Now the Volvo IPS Pod drives attached to the engines can have anything done to them by a qualified technician.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:38 AM
Rod Robertson
4th Gear

Yes I had the same update, the dreaded ABKO campaign. Also too the exhaust controls as well as the sport function away. Pretty upset and looking for anyone with knowledge on how to cheat the change
Old 05-20-2020, 03:03 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

I'd be looking into a class action law suit if I were you. Not kidding.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:02 AM
Tominek
Track Day

Unhappy

is this BS?
is there a work around.

video here:

2018 Panamera 971 ( v8 Twin Turbo Diesel 421hp ) ....I have the same problem .
I switch on AC MAX before each transition to deactivate start stop ....disaster.

I bought a car with the option to deactivate this system .... now I do not have this option. I wouldn't buy a car like that if I knew I couldn't turn off the start-stop system.

Last edited by Tominek; 06-15-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add text
Old 07-22-2020, 10:40 PM
imgleb
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to disable the start stop feature on my car. Every time i start my car it turns it back on. Very annoying. I bought a Turbo to drive the car, not be annoyed by the auto stop
Old 11-01-2020, 02:32 PM
charlie.roberts
2nd Gear

is this BS?
is there a work around.

video here:

Hey, has anyone managed to find out if this is reversible?

had my Pan approx 1 month now and it’s already driving me mad not being able to switch it off

thanks
Old 11-01-2020, 08:59 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

You can't permanently disable it, but on the 971 you can program the diamond symbol on the right side of the steering wheel to easily turn it off.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:56 AM
charlie.roberts
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by knowspin
You can't permanently disable it, but on the 971 you can program the diamond symbol on the right side of the steering wheel to easily turn it off.
thanks
Old 11-02-2020, 05:39 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I forgot to add, unfortunately you have to do this every time you start the car.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:50 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

You can also make it part of your Individual driving mode. You have to select it every time you start the car - same as the diamond button - but if you have Sport Chrono the little dial on the wheel makes it easy.

Quick Reply: Auto Start / Stop A/S/S Removed after latest PCM Update