Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Buying a Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 02:57 PM
Kieran Gobey
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Buying a Panamera

I've been lurking in the fringes of the PCA, (and POC for that matter) for (25?) years and I have numerous friends in the club and on Rennlist, I've been a track junkie, autocrosser and competition racer in NASA, MCSCC and SCCA for years. But I've never owned a Porsche of any sort.

Now that I can get a used Panamera for great money, I am seriously considering getting a 2012 Panamera (base) model. It looks fabulous, it's reviews are almost as good as the online reviews of the Cayenne (and those of the Volvo XC90 )... In reading Rennlist about the Panamera there seems to be an apparent lack of systemic and common issues outside of some engine issues in high mileage cars and some basic electrical issues. Is this a truism, or my lack of familiarity?

If I am to sound remotely like a cognoscenti, what should I keep in mind and what should I look for? I would like to be taken seriously when I waltz into the dealership or walk up to a private owner later this year. I've always seen Porsche's as the car I will graduate to, and I think I am ready to graduate, I think a Panamera is the right path for me.

Kieran
TIA
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 03:29 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

From what I've seen and experienced, they seem to be pretty robust cars. Early cars had a few recall issues on the engine that you should look into - search will give you the details - this may only be on the V8 cars too. Suspension bushing wear quicker than you would expect. But otherwise no major red flags for these cars. Make sure PDK service was done at 60K if the one you look at has passed that mileage mark.
Kieran Gobey (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 04:23 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

c4racer nailed it, engine issues with earlier cars where limited to the S/4S V8

only one other thing I can think of is the thermostat housing, earlier cars had glued in pipes which could fail, don't remember which year it was changed to bolts
Kieran Gobey (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 07:36 PM
FNTSTK 4
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree not much out there regarding systemic issues, which I also researched before purchasing base 2011 4. So far in one year of ownership, knock on wood, my maintenance costs have been zero outside of tires and upcoming oil change next week. It had full maintenance history from the dealership when I bought it at 60k miles and only things noteworthy over its life span were high press fuel pump, and bushings. Recalls were all performed.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieran Gobey
I've been lurking in the fringes of the PCA, (and POC for that matter) for (25?) years and I have numerous friends in the club and on Rennlist, I've been a track junkie, autocrosser and competition racer in NASA, MCSCC and SCCA for years. But I've never owned a Porsche of any sort.

Now that I can get a used Panamera for great money, I am seriously considering getting a 2012 Panamera (base) model. It looks fabulous, it's reviews are almost as good as the online reviews of the Cayenne (and those of the Volvo XC90 )... In reading Rennlist about the Panamera there seems to be an apparent lack of systemic and common issues outside of some engine issues in high mileage cars and some basic electrical issues. Is this a truism, or my lack of familiarity?

If I am to sound remotely like a cognoscenti, what should I keep in mind and what should I look for? I would like to be taken seriously when I waltz into the dealership or walk up to a private owner later this year. I've always seen Porsche's as the car I will graduate to, and I think I am ready to graduate, I think a Panamera is the right path for me.

Kieran
TIA
Which vehicles have you owned in the past? German vehicles, especially performance-oriented models, are more expensive to own and operate than a Honda Accord, for example.

Air suspensions are more complex than steel suspensions, as a general statement. This is true whether made by Porsche, Mercedes or anyone else. More complexity means less reliability, compared with a steel suspension. Not a reason to avoid an air suspension, but something to factor into your cost of ownership.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:36 AM
Addbuyer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You ask “what should I keep in mind”......... I would say, keep in mind I am going to buy one of these”
test drive one and you will be convinced that it’s your next motor.

ive had many motors (including an XC90 ) and nothing comes even close to the Panamera as an all round package, in fact I can’t even think of any of my previous motors bettering my Panamera in any area other than the 4x4s I’ve owned for off roading and obviously that doesn’t count. not even the C63 or E63 beats my Pany in the performance stakes and certainly not in the maintenance costs!

Quick Reply: Buying a Panamera