Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera GTS or Taycan....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 01:01 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Panamera GTS or Taycan....

Looking for a fun 4 door sedan that can fit the family. I have always liked the Panamera GTS variants and now the new body style is looking even better.

Of course the Taycan looks are pretty stunning and more futuristic looking. I have driven one and did love it, but wonder if the lack of real noise would wear off after a while. Keep in mind this will be my only sports car so I won’t be able to compliment them with a 911, at least yet.

I love the Taycan but part of me thinks as a new adapter I’ll lose a ton of depreciation (I know expected with any of these cars) but always nice to minimize this as much as possible. I also wonder if it’s the new toy, shiny and new fad that will wear off once they have been out for a while.

I won’t be tracking either car, but want something the family can fit in and still put a smile on my face on the backroads.

I’ve seen some nice deals on 2019 dealer demo GTS out there. Close to 20-30k off msrp. Hatchback space is also a nice to have but not a deal breaker.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-27-2019, 07:24 AM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

As an early adopter, there are two things that are big positives or pros for the purchase of the Taycan. The most obvious is that you would save literally hundreds of dollars a year on fuel costs, depending on your driving habits and driving distances, compared to the cost of charging your car at home or at a charging station. I have a family member who went from a RDX to an i3, dubious taste I know, and she cannot remember the last time she had to put fuel in her car because she always recharges her car at night. Her fuel costs went to almost nothing and her electricity bill barely rose. The other benefit to purchasing the Taycan is the fact that most states allow EVs to travel in the HOV lanes 24-hours a day with only one passenger. The drawback to being an early adopter is obviously the costs involved. You will be paying the higher cost of entry for being the first to own one of these beautiful cars as opposed to picking up a lightly used 2019 GTS dealer demo that would probably be offered with a CPO warranty. In comparing the costs, a new Taycan Turbo with the same options as a GTS can definitely run thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars more, which could offset the fuel and maintenance you'd spend over the entire ownership of a pre-owned car. Lastly, I would look at the options and your utility needs. If you plan on charging the car at your house, you'll be fine but if you don't, where are you planning on doing it? Even though the charging happens relatively quickly, it still requires some planning with an opportunity cost of something else that you could be doing. Whichever way you decide to go, you cannot go wrong with either car as both are great in their own right as both should satisfy your taste for speed and sportiness. It is just up to you to decide that perfect balance of how much is everything worth to you? Good luck!
Old 12-27-2019, 10:33 AM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

The Panamera is bigger for the family and is plenty of fun to drive. The Taycan is smaller for the family and probably more fun to drive. The Panamera is great for long road trips. The Taycan not so much but will do just fine in town. The Panamera has pretty fast depreciation. The Taycan is still a question. You can get a Panamera today. Taycan?

ETA- we have a Panamera ST. Can get 2 kids, 2 dogs and luggage for a week with a roof box. Taycan would not be able to do this until the Cross Turismo/ST comes out.

Family road trip. 4 people and 2 dogs

The following 2 users liked this post by GoBlue!:
AlexCeres (01-20-2020), Patriot (01-18-2020)
Old 12-29-2019, 01:47 PM
jtorrebl
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

The taycan rear seats are very hard to get in and out of. With the front seat in a fairly normal position your feet have a very hard time to get in and out. It’s very tight. The rear trunk of the taycan is also tiny compared to the Panamera. I have a 2017 Panamera 4S currently and am awaiting a 2020 GTS next month. I sat in the taycan a coupe of weeks ago
Old 12-29-2019, 08:50 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 267 Likes on 174 Posts

I too was interested in the taycan but once they removed the suicide rear door (regulations) it was a non starter. The taycan is MUCH smaller for rear passengers, so the two vehicles are definitely not equivalent for family use. Get a gts sport Turismo and you won't look back.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:54 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Which one do you want? Do you want an electric car or an IC-engined one? Do you want to be a guinea pig on a big technology change?

If it were me, I would choose the Panamera, because I prefer IC engines for the current level of electric vehicle technology maturity.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:06 AM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

It's significantly smaller and the lack of a hatch removes a lot of utility in that even if it fits inside you're still limited to what you can get through the trunk opening. In my mind for family use and getting stuff done the Taycan is not a better choice. You don't need any of us to tell you that depreciation is going to be a cliff either way and while the Taycan is an unknown I'd expect it to be more as it's a first model year and tech is quickly obviated by the next thing. Fun factor is hard to pin down in an objective way and there are a lot of angles when you compare an EV to a gas burner but you do have to account for what may lead to regret. I've traded utility for fun and in the day to day and it annoys me after a while. As much as I wish it were otherwise a get stuff done car in my use spends most of it's time getting stuff done and it needs to work to an adequate level at it's primary purpose. Crossovers are popular with good reason, in the day to day it's nice to lift the hatch and throw the big box in the back, have space for everyone, etc. That's where the Panamera comes in, it does a whole lot of what a crossover does but it's actually a pleasure to drive; a fun car that doesn't fall apart in the grind.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:03 AM
jtorrebl
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Got this 2020 GTS last night. The taycan is too small for me. The rear seats are very hard to get in and out of. The rear trunk space killed it for me. Too small compared to 2017 Panamera 4S I had. I used my car like an suv to move stuff all the time.
The following 4 users liked this post by jtorrebl:
GoBlue! (01-18-2020), mc-pgts (01-18-2020), Patriot (01-18-2020), RunnerBrandon (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 08:02 AM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jtorrebl
Got this 2020 GTS last night.
Great looking car! I love the Chalk of your GTS as opposed to the white on the exterior of the Macan in the background.

Last edited by ACowabunga; 01-18-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Panamera GTS or Taycan....