Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera Vs Panamera 4 for California.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:09 PM
IEdreamer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera Vs Panamera 4 for California.

I am looking at used Panameras, have been coming across quite a bit of Panamera 4 examples, some of which look really nice. Live in Southern California, so bad weather is not a concern at all, and I would prefer eear wheel drive driving dynamics. Is it a dealbreaker to get a four in warm weather? Does it make a difference in warm weather? Does it ruin the drive? (relatively speaking, of course). How much weight does it add? Thank you.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:21 AM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Having driven a few sporty AWD vehicles with 300+ HP the last 11 years in SoCal, I knew that no matter where I ended up, I would want to continue to own vehicles that provided power to all four wheels. Maybe bad weather may not be a major concern in the IE but when there is even a slight bit of water on the roadway, it is nice to have the additional traction & drive to control the car. As you know, without the rain to wash away the yearly build-up of oil and road debris, the roads can become really slick during the initial downpour (as SoCal drivers are not used to driving in the rain too, lol). I am not just talking about driving at speed when the road is wet AWD also can assist you while accelerating from a start or slow speeds over painted surfaces. Then there's the added comfort in knowing that all the wheels will have power in a turn (highway interchange or city street) where roadway grit and sand can be present as well. All in all, I always viewed AWD as a positive ROI or "net gain" because it was never that much more as an option to purchase (I know, subjective) vs. 2WD.

Cons of AWD: Slight loss in fuel mileage (apples v. apples - driver dependent) and Higher maintenance (due to additional parts)

Dealbreakers
1. Is it a dealbreaker to get a four in warm weather? There could be a slightly higher selling price due to the AWD option as well as any additional options already on the car. If comparing only the AWD vs. 2WD option, then you would have to take into account my two major CONS because gas prices in CA are crazy high for 91 octane and if you felt justified in spending whatever amount of money the seller was asking.
2. Does it make a difference in warm weather? I believe that AWD could make a difference on a daily basis in warm weather but realistically, it's probably more situationally based.
3. Does it ruin the drive? (relatively speaking, of course). I truly enjoyed driving the last decade of driving AWD vehicles with my last car being an Audi S5. It was a rather fun GT car on the highway and around town where I did not feel that the "drive" was ever ruined.
4. How much weight does it add? Some weight will be added but then the Panamera 4 still gets up to speed quickly enough as well as being able to pass the much slower vehicle on the highway quite easily.

I hope this answers your questions but I know these are just my opinions as there will be others with possibly differing beliefs than mine. At the end of the day, it comes down to you and what you're willing to spend. You obviously felt that the Panamera 4 was a car worth considering, now it's just a matter of deciding between the other options (internally & externally) on your list. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 10:43 AM
IEdreamer
AutoX

Default Thank you!

Wow thank you for the GREAT write up. Rennlist is Populated by geniuses!
Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 AM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 133 Posts

Porsche AWD system is very rear-wheel biased so driving dynamics while not truly RWD feel still works out pretty well. This is a large sedan so I really wonder if RWD is going to give you that big of a driving dynamics in any case. Best to drive both and see what you notice. I have never driven a RWD Panamera and could not even consider one in MN for daily driving duties so I cannot offer a driving opinion, just the thoughts above.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:47 AM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in S. Cal and I always opt for AWD in any of my cars when it is available. With the power that these cars produce, the power can't be fully utilized without the help of AWD. It also a piece of mind to always have traction available just like the above poster commeneted.

A great example (even though it is not a Porsche) would be to drive the current M5 versus the previous generation F10 M5. The previous generation M5 (which I owned) cannot get traction at any level especially out of turns and in wet/ sandy situations. Now if you drive the current one with AWD, it is heads better versus the old just cause you can finally put all the power and traction to the ground.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:43 PM
DevLep
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fkim011
...With the power that these cars produce, the power can't be fully utilized without the help of AWD...

Agreed
Old 11-22-2019, 02:18 PM
IEdreamer
AutoX

Thank you so much, guys. I wonder if it would make a difference with the 310 hp V6, though? In regards to getting power to the ground. I will definitely consider the four if I can get a good deal!
Old 11-22-2019, 03:49 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I have owned several AWD cars and a lot more RWD cars. I live in Northern CA where it rains a lot more than down in LA area. I much prefer RWD. There is a compromise to the steering feel and the weight added with AWD no matter how good it is. I've owned Audi's and an Evo. My Panamera is a rwd S model which is a 400hp V8. It hooks pretty good in my experience. Has 295 rear tires. I had a 971 model V6 base for more than a month and that car was also RWD and had 315 rear tires. You couldn't really spin those tires if you tried. Once you get into the GTS and Turbo that's where the AWD can help with traction - at the expense of more weight, complexity and some impact to steering feel. I'm sure it's a minor impact compared to other brands - but it's there. I'll take RWD every time personally.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:37 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I have driven a 970.2 base 4, a 970.2 GTS and a 970.2 S all back to back. The RWD S has a little sharper turn in and a little less low speed understeer than the GTS. The base 4 was in between the S and GTS. The S felt light the lightest weight nose of the three. There really is not a lot of difference between the base 4 and the S in terms of nose weight and overall balance. I can say I did like the character of the na 3.6 liter V6 in the base a little more than the turbo v6 in the S. The S was much quicker but the motor was very quiet and stayed in the background, The 3.6 liter needed to be reved and whipped to make the car go, and it had a nice little snarl when being pushed. It was more fun than I was expecting. A base 4 makes a fantastic car for short money.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:04 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

If I could have got a rear wheel drive S I would have done it; less weight is never a bad thing and snow isn't much of an issue in the Pacific Northwest and I can drive something else anyways. You do feel the all wheel drive here and there, that said it really is an excellent all wheel drive system that for the most part doesn't intrude much and feels rear wheel the vast majority of the time. I probably should have prefaced that by saying my experience is with the 971 and t's possible someone with more skills or a better calibrated butt might notice it more, mine is only the viewpoint from an ordinary driver. To be honest in SoCal I'd probably just be shopping the options and get the best possible match. I don't think you gain much with all wheel drive when weather is removed as a factor and I don't think you lose much having it in terms of driving feel the majority of the time. On the other hand finding the options you want can be tough and requires some patience unless your must have list is very short.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:17 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

ya well said krabman - it's a very personal taste and driver dependent situation. I come to the party with the experience of 2 decades of autox and HPDE and class road racing experience - so I have a lot more opinions than many on here, but not all that's for sure. That said I'm not expecting a sports car from the Pamera - it's just my cruiser sedan. And I wouldn't kick a 4S out of bed mind you. But I do appreciate my RWD version maybe more than some here would. YMMV as in all things! Drive a few - see what you like. I also hated the base car - just didn't have nearly enough power for me.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:48 PM
FNTSTK 4
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Amen!🙂
Old 11-23-2019, 09:51 PM
jivor
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a RWD base, 330hp, and at a hair under 4100lbs., I think the car has great dynamics. I live in Florida, and I drive through heavy rain and standing water all the time; the RWD is fine, as Porsche has calibrated the suspension and torque management with the PDK to behave very well.

I think 4WD works better in snow and ice where traction is more of an issue, therefore likely of limited use in most of California. High horsepower/torque setups, like the Turbo, also benefit from the added power distribution.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:43 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 576 Posts

Get a 4S and thank me later
Old 11-24-2019, 03:30 AM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

I love my 4S but wish it was rear wheel drive. And had a V8. And a manual trans. And a naked supermodel dispenser.

Quick Reply: Panamera Vs Panamera 4 for California.