Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2014 E-Hybrid - Thoughts on purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 2014 E-Hybrid - Thoughts on purchase?

Hey all,

First post in the Panamera forum. Sold my Cayenne Turbo a week ago, and looking for something more efficient, but still fun. I love my P85 for just about every reason (and would absolutely buy another Tesla instead of a Porsche - I know, blasphemy) except for the ability to get gas and quickly be on my way (and in case TSLA goes BK). Living in the Bay Area, I can feasibly make it from one end to the other on one charge in the Tesla (say from Los Altos to Napa/Sonoma), but just barely. This would be the wife's car, and would make short 5-6 mile juants around town and then 200-mile drives on occasion. Kid friendly for my 4/2 year olds. So should this be a candidate? Not having the 5th seat is kind of a bummer, but for us probably not a deal-breaker.

Anyway, thoughts? Pricing for a well-optioned 120K-ish MSRP is probably going to be around $40K, which I'd say is about $5-10K more than a similar model year M5... and a 2015+ Tesla...

Thanks!

Last edited by dhc905; 08-08-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:03 PM
dhc905
Banned

Bump and funny got the urgent recall notice today for my (sold) Cayenne Turbo and Panameras through 2016...not heartwarming at all.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Seems like this car would suit your needs very well given your use case - go for it!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:31 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check my reply on this thread. Your usage is similar to mine.
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...rformance.html

PS. Not sure if we are talking to you coz of your love of the enemy !

I doubt Tesla will go bankrupt, what is more likely is for Tesla to make batteries for other manufacturers.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:11 PM
dhc905
Banned

Originally Posted by K777
Check my reply on this thread. Your usage is similar to mine.
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...rformance.html

PS. Not sure if we are talking to you coz of your love of the enemy !

I doubt Tesla will go bankrupt, what is more likely is for Tesla to make batteries for other manufacturers.

Haha, I do love my Tesla, but see it's shortcomings. With the Taycan coming out in a couple of weeks, I'm wondering how people are going to perceive the hybrid solution longer term...just yesterday I heard two very negative headlines on hybrids (GM and VW are cutting their hybrid programs to focus on all-electric & I visited the Proterra electric bus factory and was told that the hybrid bus solution captured significant market share at the outset, but has since waned as municipalities don't see the type of maintenance savings they had hoped for).

I did drive my friends Prius C (that's a s&*tbox if I've ever driven one) and it gets 40mpg on the highway, so if I could average the same in a SEHybrid, that would be a huge win in my book. **EDIT noticed you UK-ers have to be soooooo difficult - 42 UK MPG = 35 US MPG ***
Old 08-15-2019, 04:53 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
Haha, I do love my Tesla, but see it's shortcomings. With the Taycan coming out in a couple of weeks, I'm wondering how people are going to perceive the hybrid solution longer term...just yesterday I heard two very negative headlines on hybrids (GM and VW are cutting their hybrid programs to focus on all-electric & I visited the Proterra electric bus factory and was told that the hybrid bus solution captured significant market share at the outset, but has since waned as municipalities don't see the type of maintenance savings they had hoped for).

I did drive my friends Prius C (that's a s&*tbox if I've ever driven one) and it gets 40mpg on the highway, so if I could average the same in a SEHybrid, that would be a huge win in my book. **EDIT noticed you UK-ers have to be soooooo difficult - 42 UK MPG = 35 US MPG ***
To be truthful the UK just isn't set up for Tesla yet, or other brands IMHO. Theres just not enough charging points.
Have a look at Telsa's own website and charging points. For example manchester is the 2nd or 3rd largest city yet has a couple on the outskirts last time I looked. Leeds is prob 5th largest city where I am from, and as far as I know the only Tesla brand charge points are at a hotel where I go to the gym. There used to be the occasional Tesla roll up, now theres often 4 at a time. But two points, so potentially you could be waiting for someone to charge fully, and then wait for yours to charge. Its not for me its too inconvenient. It will happen, but needs more charge points.

As for the Taycon, both myself and my business partner have the 4 E hybrid and would have considered the Taycon had it remotely resembled the concept, but not now.

Whilst I can happily achieve 40+ on average, and I am no slouch, the best part of the hybrid, is the engine and the accompanying noise. The initial and still the primary reason I bought the Panamera Hybrid as appose to a 911 or BMW M6 was due to the massive company car tax saving. In the UK company car tax is calculated on CO2 emmisions and list price of the car. My car was £107k, yet I pay around the same as one of my staff who has a £40K X4 2.0d company car. Its really a no brainer..

Quick Reply: 2014 E-Hybrid - Thoughts on purchase?