Notices

Black Paint Maintenance

Old 07-08-2019, 10:18 PM
DrShafty
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Paint Maintenance

My 2013 PTT is black on black, the dealer reshot the front clip and I had it clay bar'd and ceramic coated. Then went over the body with a Porsche OEM touch up paint and a fine detail pen... Looks fantastic now.

The issue as everyone who has ever had a black car knows, is that it only takes a few hours for dust to start showing on the finish.

I have a detail guy come once a week, but for in between, I'm leaning towards a 'waterless' detail spray, like Chemical Guys.

I don't see any recent threads on this sort of product, anyone have thoughts? good, bad, run away?

thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Outlaw
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan of waterless sprays. I’m no expert, but You have to lift dirt or dust off before any rubbing, otherwise it scratches.

The only thing that worked for me in the past 10 black cars is PPF *** just doesn’t stick to it as much and you can just literally rinse it off with a powerful spray wax.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 AM
dudecs
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should browse some of the auto detailing forums... plenty of good information there. If it is just light dust and dirt, a quick spray detailer works. I have two dark color cars and it has held up well. Use an appropriate amount sprayed on a microfiber and turn the towel frequently. Buff and dry completely to avoid streaks, especially if you are working in the sun.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Paul Rathjen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a good ceramic coating, get their brand specific detailing spray. If they don't have one Chemical Guys have some for ceramic, although I like to use their V7.

Waterspots shouldn't stick to a good ceramic. They should wipe off with a touch of detail spray for lubricant. I dust with a clean microfiber, then detail wipe with spray using a separate clean microfiber about every other day. Keeping black clean means keeping it clean...…..no way around it.

Wash your microfibers after one use, and do not dry them as it created static electricity that will transfer to the car and collect dust. Get some Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze to touch up scratch you find eventually while youre wiping it down. If you use an ultra light cut, and next to no pressure you can get swirls out of ceramic without removing it, just be gentle. You should also get your own bottle of whatever brand of ceramic you used, so you can touch it up if you have to do more aggressive paint correction ion a panel - you can just do that panel over.

I drive my car year around through snowy winters. I find washing the car cathartic. If you don't, you shouldn't own a black car!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: