Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Does Porsche use the cheapest glass possible......scratch fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Does Porsche use the cheapest glass possible......scratch fix?

I've been less than impressed with the windshield. In less than 9 months, any tiny rock not matter how small chips the glass, and I am very careful where I drive. There are more pits in it than any low mile car I've ever had. Last night, the wiper blade rubber pieces came off during the rain, on a 6 minute trip from work to home, and scratched the ever living #@$ out of the window. Now I'm beyond pissed.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I replace my windshield almost every year, but I live in CO and drive regularly in the mountains where sand & gravel are employed during snow storms. I don't find the P-car glass any worse than others - it's far better than the near vertical windshield on my H2! How old were your wiper blades? I think mine were original until I replaced them 2 years ago.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:47 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a very small pit on the windshield of my 2018, still under 4000 miles. The tiny rock that hit didn't come at me like a missile, so I was surprised at the pit. I figured it was just one of those things...but maybe the glass is really soft or something.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

My car came w/ the insulated glass option, but when my windshield was replaced last year they installed normal glass which seemed to get pitted even worse. I'm putting in the insulated option in a couple of weeks and hoping it's a bit more robust.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

What kind of replacement costs are you guys seeing?
Old 05-22-2019, 01:57 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

If you guys are replacing windshields nearly every year you ought to consider a windshield film. I have used this product for over a year now and have been impressed. I have no affiliation other than a customer for both my P cars.

http://www.braygroup.com/windshieldskin
Old 05-22-2019, 02:59 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

If you do it from the stealership with the OEM windshield, the window alone is $1100.

I had a quarter size rock come at me from a semi that started a hairline crack in the windshield.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:39 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

I have a $100 deductible for glass replacement, and my glass guy gives me a $100 gift certificate for the business, so it really doesn't cost me anything. Rates have yet to rise and I've been told by my agent that glass replacement claims won't increase my rates. I also had the rear hatch glass replaced last year due to a crack and I think that was a $2k piece of glass, also covered w/o any issues.

I will definitely look into the protective film - thanks for the tip, small car lover!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:47 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default W/S film

I have the film on all my cars. Usual cost is between $80 to $100, but saves having to replace it. I carry "0" deductible, but still don't want to replace.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SBTT
I have the film on all my cars. Usual cost is between $80 to $100, but saves having to replace it. I carry "0" deductible, but still don't want to replace.
Which product are you using? The cost of the Bray I have been using is much higher, around $500 for 2 layers or $700 for 4 layers. The optical quality is flawless however. I have about 14 months including a full winter season on the first layer on the Panny. The first layer is just starting to show some degradation. I'll drive it through the summer and decide this fall if I want to push it through the winter. I'll probably get 12k miles per layer.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:00 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by small car lover
Which product are you using? The cost of the Bray I have been using is much higher, around $500 for 2 layers or $700 for 4 layers. The optical quality is flawless however. I have about 14 months including a full winter season on the first layer on the Panny. The first layer is just starting to show some degradation. I'll drive it through the summer and decide this fall if I want to push it through the winter. I'll probably get 12k miles per layer.
I'm going to look into options, but at $700 I think I'll just put in a fresh new windshield every year for essentially free. However, if I could put a protective film on for $100 or so and keep my windshield for 2 winters it may be worth it. It's not always the star cracks that cause me to replace; sometimes it just gets so pitted w/ sand blasting that it's hard to see out of at night causing a safety issue. I'm hoping the film will reduce the sand blasting effect.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

I put on new wipers, then gorilla taped a tony piece of 12000 grit sandpaper to the wiper and tuned them on for 20 minutes using detail spray as a lube. It helped quite a bit, but its still there. Very irritating that it only took 4 minutes to scratch it. The design of the factory wiper is not good. Assuming they were factory that is. New Bosch I put on have no metal pieces to get off track at the very ends..... ARGGGGGGGG
Old 05-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not that the glass is cheap, it's German specs. They use softer glass in Germany, which pits more, but it has less chance of cracking. Though not quite sure of that particular benefit if you have to replace the windshield every so often because it becomes dangerous to drive in certain lighting conditions.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:37 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

I have ordered ceramic coating for my cars and I checked on application for windshields and it's a strong GO! After getting a new thermally insulated windshield installed yesterday, I intend to give it several coats of ceramic in an attempt at better protection. It is SO nice having a fresh piece of glass to look out of - no more sparkles! Let's hope the ceramic protects as well or better than film.

Quick Reply: Does Porsche use the cheapest glass possible......scratch fix?