Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

used pana vs ferrari ff

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 02:13 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

nah no wagons for me since empty nest. room and cargo not big consideration.
rs7 is too expensive for what it is. big heavy motor hanging out front is downside to sporty driving. rs5 is similar but about 50k less exp so can accept that.
ff sell at about 125 to 150k. i would want a used pana to be well under 100k. rs5sb below that. can afford all 3 but like to get value for my $. ff is a dream car so willing to spend more on it. again, i dont see how manintenance cost is a factor if its covered for 7 yrs and a cpo warranty for 2. im willing to listen
Old 05-04-2019, 02:45 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Is sounds like you really want the FF and you can afford to acquire it as an empty nester. Life is too short - get the Ferrari and don't look back.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
nah no wagons for me since empty nest. room and cargo not big consideration.
rs7 is too expensive for what it is. big heavy motor hanging out front is downside to sporty driving. rs5 is similar but about 50k less exp so can accept that.
ff sell at about 125 to 150k. i would want a used pana to be well under 100k. rs5sb below that. can afford all 3 but like to get value for my $. ff is a dream car so willing to spend more on it. again, i dont see how manintenance cost is a factor if its covered for 7 yrs and a cpo warranty for 2. im willing to listen
I'm still not following. You consider an RS7 too expensive, but are looking at an FF? What am I missing? Room and cargo not a big consideration, but you're looking at larger cars? Now I'm really confused! You appear to be emphasizing sporty driving, and now don't particularly want front engines, but then are prioritizing sedans?

The CPO on the FF doesn't cover everything that could possibly go wrong, and I would imagine doesn't cover all or any of the maintenance on an FF which is substantially and exponentially on a different planet than all the other cars you've mentioned. I'm not trying to convince you NOT to get it. I simply stated, and will state again, the FF would be my daily driver if money was no object. No one would talk you out if one (but you've asked for comparative feedback) I'm just having a hard time navigating your reasoning between I\t and any of these other cars. You want what you want, and you should get what you want. No one buys a Ferrari for practicality. Not EVER.

Sporty cars with back seats, mid or rear engine, cargo space not a priority hrmmmm…...Porsche forums.....hrmmmmmmmm which car would I recommend.....

" looking for a premium cpo daily driver that can get through ny winter, do occasional easy track day, and fit 3 passengers. will be in market next year so lots time to search...."

I mean dude WTF are you doing in the Panamera section of the forum!!!!

911, 911, 911, 911, 911, 911, 911

Other cars with back seats, and cargo space not a priority, and Ferrari levels of money available......

GTR
RS5 (non sportback)
Bentley Continental GT, supersport, or other mega optioned model.
Lexus LC 500, and upcoming LC-F
BMW M8
Camaro ZL1
Challenger Hellcat Redeye
2020 Mustang GT500

How about a used GTR and an RS5 sportback?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:09 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

my cars are now giulia, elise, fiat 500. alfa lease ends next yr so need replacement. would like 4 doors and need awd. ff is only 2 door i would consider bc of its amazing and soon to be extinct v12. rs7 is out bc i like pana better at same price. ferrari cpo doesnt cover all repair but its does cover the vast majority for 2 yrs. not sure if you are aware but ferraris from 2014 (or so) have ALL maintenance covered just like bmw used to offer. obviously not wear and tear items like tires, brakes, and windshield wipers though. btw, ive had 911 (gt3) and gtr in past and rs5sb is the 3rd choice along w pana/ff.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

my cars are now giulia, elise, fiat 500. alfa lease ends next yr so need replacement. would like 4 doors and need awd. ff is only 2 door i would consider bc of its amazing and soon to be extinct v12. rs7 is out bc i like pana better at same price. ferrari cpo doesnt cover all repair but its does cover the vast majority for 2 yrs. not sure if you are aware but ferraris from 2014 (or so) have ALL maintenance covered just like bmw used to offer. obviously not wear and tear items like tires, brakes, and windshield wipers though. btw, ive had 911 (gt3) and gtr in past and rs5sb is the 3rd choice along w pana/ff.
4 doors and need awd - larger

Panamera
X5 M
Jeep Trackhawk
Stelvio QV.....
Macan Turbo
M5
AM Rapide

4 doors and need awd - smaller

RS5 SB
FF
Evora
Maserati GT
GTR
BMW M2
AM Vanquish
Bentley GT

You have a lot of options!
Old 05-04-2019, 03:50 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

good list but aston, evora, maserati, m2 all rwd.
and no suvs any more. had enough of them while kids growing up but stelvio would be interesting.
one other thing. the rs5sb comes in an fantastic green that i love. would probably have to wrap the pana or ff in that color i like it so much.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait until you try and sell an FF. It’s a very niche car with very few buyers and there are a lot for sale all the time.

Have you checked insurance cost over 3 years?
Old 05-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

good list but aston, evora, maserati, m2 all rwd.
and no suvs any more. had enough of them while kids growing up but stelvio would be interesting.
one other thing. the rs5sb comes in an fantastic green that i love. would probably have to wrap the pana or ff in that color i like it so much.
Problem solved

Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2019, 07:03 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

wow thats quite the green! not too easy to find one of those used id bet. but looking for a more subdued green anyway. maybe porsche irish green or forest green? easier probably to just wrap it
Old 05-05-2019, 08:41 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

You can drive the FF as your daily driver but it depends on what your daily drive is like. Parking is a hassle, not just because it is a Ferrari but primarily because the front clip is quite large. Visibility is not great. The push button gear selector is awkward and I always seem to fumble with it while parking my Ferrari. The FF is well shaken down as a model but Ferrari dealers do not do anything quickly and do not expect a loaner car. 11 MPG is something to celebrate. The electronics and infotainment are nothing to brag about.

On the plus side, the prepaid maintenance is a nice perk. You will feel really good whenever you drive it.

Take your time finding the right car and pay attention to the option package. You could put $100k in options on one of those models and it really does not impact the resale price so you could end up finding a car that was $350k new that is yours for $160k based on the current market
Old 05-05-2019, 09:23 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

great info thanks. my dd is 10 min from my home driveway to my office driveway. many potholes but other than that, couldnt get much easier. how do you compare driving it to new gen panamera?
Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 PM
jnolan
Pro

great info thanks. my dd is 10 min from my home driveway to my office driveway. many potholes but other than that, couldnt get much easier. how do you compare driving it to new gen panamera?
I have a 2018 Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo hybrid and it is the most technically advanced car I have ever owned. It drives effortlessly and the power is insane for a 5,500 lb car. With rear axle steering you really do not feel like you are driving a car that is as long as the Panamera is. The interior is a big step up for Porsche, it oozes luxury. I had the car debadged, even the hybrid badge, and the result is really understated.

The Ferrari sounds better and has the distinctive Ferrari interior smell. It gets more attention but that is not always a good thing. I would not mind getting a GTC4 Lusso with the upgraded electronics package.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:24 PM
jnolan
Pro

the sound comment deserves expanding on. A Ferrari v12 is a thing of audible beauty. The Porsche V8 in the turbo is also a wonderful sounding engine. The 918 Spyder had the 4.8 liter version of this engine and I believe the Turbo S is also a flat plane crankshaft engine. Ferrari’s v8, the 3.9 liter engine in everything from the California T to the 488 and the GTC4 Lusso in v8 config is also a flat plane crankshaft but that motor sound whup-whup-whup until you get it up to about 4k rpm and then it sings. The only other car I know of with a flat plane crankshaft v8 is the Shelby Mustang and that cars sounds fantastic and very different than regular v8 mustangs. I’m sure the Shelby Raptor is another example but it is in the same badge family. Maserati v8 engines are based on the same engine platform at Ferrari but use a cross plane crankshaft, which is why I disagree with the idea that Maserati is Ferrari at a lower price point. There are a lot of important distinctions between Ferrari and Maserati and that is on purpose.

Bottom line, the Pana Turbo S engine has a great sound. My E63S Estate (I like the wagon version of this car more than the sedan and it is super rare) has a more aggressive bark to it. When I start that car people stop and look, it really growls, but the Panamera v8 sounds more exotic while avoiding the weird whup-whup-whup of the Ferrari v8.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:15 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

to me, sound is all about the high pitch high rpm scream like in f1. not into the deep base of v8 like amg or vette. having said that, I would probably look into a pana 4s which is the v6 so I know sound wont be a high point. not sure how the audi v6 sounds
Old 05-06-2019, 05:02 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 484 Posts

God, the thought of DD a problematic car like that makes me lose sleep, never mind knowing its not if but when is it going to F*## me

Quick Reply: used pana vs ferrari ff