Front driveshaft replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:38 PM
PDX958
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front driveshaft replacement?

Hi,

I'm currently a Cayenne owner, but have my eye on a 2014 Panamera Turbo with about 41k miles.

Don't have access to the service records for the early life of the car, but the Carfax indicates the front driveshaft was replaced at 14k miles, which seems odd.

Would this be an indication of other issues? Should I be worried about the health of the transmission itself? Couldnt find much on the forum about driveshaft issues so wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:27 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

No accidents, just a service history? I mean **** happens - this isn't a common issue. Whats the price? I'd expect that to be around $70,000. You could check out the body panels for resprays and under the nose for broken body panel clips.

Check to make sure the carbon brakes and pads are in good condition. You just as well get a PPI for a purchase this large. There are aftermarket warranty options available too.

Make sure any recalls are done by checking the vin, but I'm not aware that the 2014 models 970.1 have the same issues of the early 970 other than I'd wager they still have some issues at higher miles with the air suspension and control arm bushings (which isn't uncommon for any car).

I'd make sure that the service history shows brake, diff and pdk fluids have been change, and if you can't find out specifically when, get it done as part of the purchase of the car for free or for a reduce charge (maybe free labor).
Old 04-26-2019, 12:54 PM
PDX958
Track Day

Thanks, that's all great info. Price is $63k which is a little lower than normal. Another reason my suspicions are heightened.

The second owner purchased it from and had it serviced at an aftermarket dealer, so each scheduled service seems to be light on scope relative to factory recommendation. No indications of fluid changes other than oil. I believe plugs should've also been replaced by now but haven't. Rear pads were replaced but not fronts, also odd since I would think the fronts would go first.

Good suggestion on rolling the catchup maintenenace into the deal. Adds an extra variable to play with in addition to my trade in value.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:11 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

That is a very low price. That is just a little more than I paid for my 2012 with 38,000 miles which was below market at the time with the options 8 months ago. That is way low even now for a 2014 PTTS. 2011-2013 PTTS are still in the $60k's with low miles. I would MAKE sure it doesn't have an accident history. You know the saying, if its too good to be true...… If I found a 2014 PTTS with those miles at that price I'd consider trading mine in.

Make sure its a real S. I've also seen Turbos with badging that aren't an S. It should say S on the gauge cluster and 100% of 2014+ PTTS have the carbon brakes (yellow calipers).
Old 04-29-2019, 12:57 PM
PDX958
Track Day

I wasnt very clear above - it's just a TT, not TTS. But thanks again for all the pointers.

Ended up pulling the trigger on it this weekend after it checked out pretty clean. Some suspension creaking when cold, but that sounds like a fairly common issue and easy enough to address. Also some small cosmetic details I'll work on over time. Got a 4yr/60k exclusionary warranty as backup for the big stuff.

Turned out the vehicle was on consignment, and that price was simply what the seller was asking (plus the dealer's cut). I wasnt going to argue And ended up getting some extra cut off before it was all said and done.

I'm sad to let the Cayenne go, but won't be too hard to forget given how much of a joy this thing is to drive.

Added a quick pick, will post more when get a little more time with it.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Front driveshaft replacement?