Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Thule Aeroblade + Hyper XL on Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Xiaoming hoho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thule Aeroblade + Hyper XL on Panamera?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting the Thule aeroblade + Hyper XL box for my skis in the next season on my 2013 Panamera 4.

Have anyone with experience with cargo boxes on panamera? Do they impair the aerodynamic significantly? I usually drive at 90 or 100 on interstate so kinda worried about that...

Roof top ski mounts are in my substitute list too. Just trying to find a solution to get four people and four skis on the car. Any suggestion would be appreciated..
Old 04-19-2019, 09:28 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Do you have the OEM bars that fit on the roof mounts? I use that system and a Yakima pod to keep my gear secure and free from road grime. It's not that bad noise-wise but I do notice a difference when it's off the car and I think mileage may take a slight hit (I have the largest pod Yakima makes- holds 12 pr of skis +). No worries at speed - confirmed at significantly higher than you posted, and I attribute most of it to the OEM bars. If your skis are as nice as your car, I would not use an exposed ski rack.

Last edited by skiracer; 04-19-2019 at 11:37 PM. Reason: didn't read
Old 04-20-2019, 09:10 PM
Xiaoming hoho
Track Day

Hi Jim,

I don't have anything mounted on it yet, just doing some pre-purchase check here. I think I will go with the OEM bars then with your comments.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

That will open up lots of options for you since it's a universal bar - a pod will also allow you to stash other gear, hidden from view and under lock and key. Here are a couple of pics w/ my monster pod.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:51 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pod, now to get it color matched to your car!
Old 04-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Xiaoming hoho
Track Day

Jim, your car looks nice! Is it very troublesome to take off the pod? I only use automated carwash since I live in apartment and tight schedule. If not, I will probably buy them in this month and do an update on this thread!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xiaoming hoho
Jim, your car looks nice! Is it very troublesome to take off the pod? I only use automated carwash since I live in apartment and tight schedule. If not, I will probably buy them in this month and do an update on this thread!
I have a pulley mounted on the ceiling in my garage and I remove/install it by myself in about 15 mins or so. I keep the pod mounted on the bars and raise the entire assembly - if you're only looking to transport 4 pr of skis you won't need a box nearly as large as mine and it should be even easier. Hopefully your car wash is touchless so your paint doesn't get screwed up by swirl marks. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Thule Aeroblade + Hyper XL on Panamera?