Panamera 2010-Current

Temporary Insanity

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 01:21 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary Insanity

I can’t believe that I’ve been considering 2012 CL63 AMG designo, thinking that it would be a more comfortable fun car to complement my 2012 Panamera Turbo S.

As I’m sure you can relate, sometimes an ad or youtube catches your attention and then you go crazy chasing down a possible lead.

Bottom line, after driving it I realized why it was basically an inferior wanna-be Porsche, with decent power but nowhere the steering feel, transmission, or handling of the Panamera. Plus, really wasn’t feeling like dealing with ABC on Mercedes having had it on my prior S55 and S600. Yes, it was cool having the designo interior and a much larger trunk. However, it’s not even close when it comes to joy of driving my Panamera, especially in Sport or Sport + mode.
I may still consider a CL550 sport pkg in the future but for now, I’m a happy camper enjoying my PTTS.

Enjoy your Panamera everyone!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a few CL63s and agree completely. The ABC system was somewhat magical but ride quality and tranny were old school. Not sure why they kept the hydraulic system so long as they essentially admitted it was unserviceable as their own CPO warranties wouldn’t cover a failure.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
I can’t believe that I’ve been considering 2012 CL63 AMG designo, thinking that it would be a more comfortable fun car to complement my 2012 Panamera Turbo S.

As I’m sure you can relate, sometimes an ad or youtube catches your attention and then you go crazy chasing down a possible lead.

Bottom line, after driving it I realized why it was basically an inferior wanna-be Porsche, with decent power but nowhere the steering feel, transmission, or handling of the Panamera. Plus, really wasn’t feeling like dealing with ABC on Mercedes having had it on my prior S55 and S600. Yes, it was cool having the designo interior and a much larger trunk. However, it’s not even close when it comes to joy of driving my Panamera, especially in Sport or Sport + mode.
I may still consider a CL550 sport pkg in the future but for now, I’m a happy camper enjoying my PTTS.

Enjoy your Panamera everyone!
Indeed. The difference you describe is not unlike the one between the Panamera and the E63S AMG. They can shoehorn that crazy engine into the AMG, but it's still an E class and doesn't measure up to the Porsche in so many other ways.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

The 2014+ models are much better with the 4matic. The 2015 gets a slightly updated nose and interior. They don't have quite the special sauce that the Panamera has, and if you've been driving around in the Turbo S, you're going to have extra special sauce. The Panamera gets more solid the harder you drive it, the Audi and AMG's a bit looser (not that they are bad cars). I much prefer the RS7 to the Mercedes offerings but man they are having some trouble with blown turbos and some other things. I loved every minute of mine when I had it, but I really wanted a Panamera to begin with.

I'm disappointed that they aren't making the CLS63 any more, and are only doing the 4 door AMG GT. I don't think it looks as good as the new CLS does personally. They are very similar but the AMG has a more pushed in nose or something, not exactly sure.

The CLS is a very nice car, but its still sort of an expect design, and a sleeper car that looks like all of the other Mercedes sedans. They are very pretty but not as sexy. I've always preferred the CLS to the E but I think that might have flip flopped with the late models. The 2018 E63 is a beast of a car, and has a beautiful interior. I also like the matte silver and white designo colors as well as that slightly odd brown designo color you never see! They really need to may an E63 coupe......because the S63 couple is just gorgeous. Right now, neither of these make me want to part with my Turbo S.

I took a long hard look at the BMW 850i xdrive with M trim (not full on M) and its a pretty nice looking car too. It looked very nice in white, as opposed to some of the other brighter colors I've see it in at cars shows. Very nice interior too.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:31 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

@Paul Rathjen I too love the S63 Coupe. If I could get away with a car that size it's probably what I'd drive.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:37 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Indeed. The difference you describe is not unlike the one between the Panamera and the E63S AMG. They can shoehorn that crazy engine into the AMG, but it's still an E class and doesn't measure up to the Porsche in so many other ways.
Agreed! I own a 2010 Panamera S (being traded in for a 2015 Panamera Turbo Executive) and a 2014 E63S, but I find the
E63S Ride harsher, the steering lacking the Panamera's precision, and the driving position less comfortable on the E63S.
The Panamera is simply more fun to drive, especially on long distances, than the E63S. Handling is very good on both cars,
and FAR better than the larger and heavier S Class Version.

Quick Reply: Temporary Insanity