Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

12' Base model Panny wierd battery reading

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:18 PM
darkhart
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12' Base model Panny wierd battery reading

Over the last month I've noticed that every now and then I would get the "battery consumers shutting off so in so" warning on the multifunction display and then it would go off generally shortly thereafter and I would notice no difference in operation of the vehicle and everything still functioned as normal. Well about a week ago I noticed that while in the car driving the audio from the radio would go in and out as though I had a bad Bluetooth connection or a weak radio station but it didn't last long and it would function normally, well Sunday the audio went completely out and it doesn't matter what source I try neither radio, cd, Bluetooth, usb or aux has any output. The radio screen itself functions just as it should just no audio output and I also noticed that on the multifunction display sometimes it will show the radio source on it and sometimes it wouldn't so knowing that it's all on the fiber optic loop I'm now thinking ok the Bose amp has gone bad, I was thinking this right up until I noticed that on the multifunction display the battery voltage was reading 9.4 volts so I quickly rushed back home and parked thinking that my car was about to go dead. During the drive home I noticed that the voltage fluctuated between 6.4-11.2 volts and it really didn't matter at what rpm the car was at so now I'm thinking the alternator was crapping out and decided to check it manually with a dmm once I got home. With the car idling in the drive the multifunction display read 8.4 volts but at the battery I was getting a reading of 14.7volts so to be sure I drove to a buddy's house that does minor mechanic work to see what kind of reading he would get with his equipment and sure enough with the car idling he also got a reading of 14.7 volts so now I know that the alternator is fine but I don't know why the car's display would show voltages so far off and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the audio going out because just like in my Mercedes if I got the "battery consumers" warning the radio would shut completely off display and all, now I also must say that even with the display showing such low voltages I don't have any lights dimming or any other noticeable things you would expect from a bad alternator or battery and the battery itself is fairly new cause I replaced it back in Sept right after I got the car.
So has anyone else seen anything similar to this?? Also again it's a 12' Base model v6

Quick Reply: 12' Base model Panny wierd battery reading