Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Oil Pressure Suddenly Stopping DANGER=?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:34 PM
4sPanamera
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil Pressure Suddenly Stopping DANGER=?

I have a panamera and some times driving on the freeway it gives a warning saying fault in the oil pressure and I check the guage and the oil pressure says 0, no pressure.Last night I stopped the car on the freeway to start the engine again imagining the engine spinning without oil and after starting it was fine .I dont know if this problem is a technical glitch where the sensor does not have input or if there realy is no oil pressure.Why does the panamera sometime say no oil pressure anyone have experience with this problem?car has 32k miles or 54000 km, please help
Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

When your car is telling you that you have no oil pressure (sensor problem or not) my advice is to get off the internet and get over to a dealer, preferably towed. If you have an e-hybrid, no oil pressure is normal but in every other situation, it is not okay.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:41 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

If it tells you no pressure, then sometimes pressure OK, then sometimes no pressure, bet the sensor is going.

Originally Posted by 4sPanamera
I have a panamera and some times driving on the freeway it gives a warning saying fault in the oil pressure and I check the guage and the oil pressure says 0, no pressure.Last night I stopped the car on the freeway to start the engine again imagining the engine spinning without oil and after starting it was fine .I dont know if this problem is a technical glitch where the sensor does not have input or if there realy is no oil pressure.Why does the panamera sometime say no oil pressure anyone have experience with this problem?car has 32k miles or 54000 km, please help
Old 03-15-2019, 06:14 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the engine (ice) is running (any car) and it indicates no oil pressure. STOP and recover/tow it. It could be the oil pump.

If you have a hybrid and only on electric mode, yes there's no oil pressure - the engine is off, and so is the oil pump, so no oil pressure - that is normal in a hybrid.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:55 PM
4sPanamera
Intermediate

The car is a 8 cylinder gas.There is oil presure because this oil warning light has happened 3 or 4 times on the freeway and if there was no oil I think the engine would have died by now.I usuallystop the car and restart and then it is fine,one time the warning went away and things went back to normal after a few seconds. Also today when the car was started cold there was a temperature coolant sensor and coolant level warning.But the car was ice cold that is 2 systems that are not right the oil system and coolant temperature warning with intermitent problems.Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Did I miss where you manually checked oil level??
Old 03-15-2019, 04:57 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The car is a 8 cylinder gas.There is oil presure because this oil warning light has happened 3 or 4 times on the freeway and if there was no oil I think the engine would have died by now.I usuallystop the car and restart and then it is fine,one time the warning went away and things went back to normal after a few seconds. Also today when the car was started cold there was a temperature coolant sensor and coolant level warning.But the car was ice cold that is 2 systems that are not right the oil system and coolant temperature warning with intermitent problems.Any ideas?
you need to head into the dealer.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:55 PM
4sPanamera
Intermediate

I am going to try to change the oil to a more Porsche approved type of oil to see if that fixes the problem.The oil was changed at a oil change store and I think maybe the oil they use is cheap or not right for a panamera
Old 03-29-2019, 08:39 AM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this problem on '12 Turbo S. Took it in, they replaced some sensor and when it happened again they ended up replacing the oil pump. Not a small job, turbo's had to be taken out.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 PM
4sPanamera
Intermediate

Basically what I heard from the repair shop, independent not dealer.They said that first to change the oil and the oil pressure sensor and that is what we have done.Then after if the problem continues there is some valve that goes bad sorry do not have the name now and then last if nothing else works the oil pump.After changing the oil and pressure sensor the problem has not returned but it has only been 20 kms or about 12 miles.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Nishimoto
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Basically what I heard from the repair shop, independent not dealer.They said that first to change the oil and the oil pressure sensor and that is what we have done.Then after if the problem continues there is some valve that goes bad sorry do not have the name now and then last if nothing else works the oil pump.After changing the oil and pressure sensor the problem has not returned but it has only been 20 kms or about 12 miles.
Good afternoon-

Did you ever accomplish resolution with the FAULT: Oil Pressure Monitoring?
Old 11-18-2019, 11:22 AM
RDR142
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had this same issue a handful of times while driving. first instance on interstate i immediately knocked car into neutral to reduce rpm's and headed for side of interstate to stop. before i could get pulled over, light went off and back to normal oil pressure. in my experience, once a car has no oil pressure, motor does not live or seizes shortly after. luckily this didn't happen but needless to say i was beyond panicked

would be interested to know if you have had any more issues since changing sensor
Old 12-04-2019, 04:20 AM
Aleks
2nd Gear

Hey, did you have the problem fixed, I have the same Issue with my Porsche Panamera, light comes on for low oil pressure? What’s the best way to go about it?
Old 12-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Nishimoto
3rd Gear

Default Oil Pressure Monitoring System

Originally Posted by Aleks
Hey, did you have the problem fixed, I have the same Issue with my Porsche Panamera, light comes on for low oil pressure? What’s the best way to go about it?
Hey Alex-

It only happened when we dropped her into Sport Plus on the GTS. Recently had the oil changed, and our battery replaced(complete reset of the cpu system) I have not seen the alert since- I do not believe the system ever lost oil pressure, but a malfunction in the sensor-
Old 10-07-2020, 10:52 PM
Johnnie69
1st Gear

Default Oil pressure gauge reads 0 - 2012 Panamera 4

Where I got the first fault I was close enough to home I parked in the garage. Next morning I went to start to determine if it cleared itself, Headlights and dash lights went nuts flashing. I put the battery on a trickle charger - once it was charged up everything was fine oil pressure reading was good so I had the battery replaced at the tune of 600 bucks. No I month later or pressure is zero again. Put the trickle charger on again but this time no change. Goes into the shop Friday, But I’m wondering if there is a place on the engine to independently test oil pressure with a gauge?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Suddenly Stopping DANGER=?