Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Wanting to get a 2011 panamera s with 80k.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:40 AM
dnasty
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to get a 2011 panamera s with 80k.

Hello all, I've been lurking the forums for a while before posting. I've been shopping the panamera for a while and gained a lot of info from these posts but I just figured I'd make this post as I don't see many high mileage panameras discussed. I'm new to porsche completely and have owned mainly mercedes up until now but wanted to try something new. It was going to either be the panamera s or the mercedes cls550. I just like the way the panamera drives much better although the cls may be a bit quicker. Also the styling (especially interior) is really impressive on the panamera.... I've never been interested in a tan interior or a brown car until I saw the panamera. That being said I do have my concerns, mainly maintenance costs and the longevity of the car. If it is comparable to a mercedes cls 550 then I am not worried but I feel as if porsche maintence is going to be much more and a greater potential for things I don't know to go wrong. I've already read about the engine issue and the camshaft bolts but by now should all these cars have had this issue addressed from the recall? I am not exactly sure what things to look for when testing a porsche. Most of the panameras i've seen so far have driven like champs but had slight vibration in the seat at in park (which I may be over sensetive to but never experienced in high mileage benzes i've owned) also I am not sure what noises to be concerned with or looking for. Are these cars prone to vacuum leaks? Also in sport does the pdk always make a whine noise under heavy acceleration then letting off, this has been present on all the ones i've tested so far. I understand porsche's are much higher revving cars then the others but the whine is a bit unsettling.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:50 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are shopping Porsche, you can check recall status on Porsche's website. For other factory issues, you may have to contact a local Porsche dealer service department with the VIN. They can verify its history.

With a tan or light color interior dash, be aware that there may be obvious reflection on the windshield. That bothers some people and mitigated with polarized sunglasses. I have a dark brown interior and dash which does not present a problem. Some light color interiors may have a darker color dash.

For high mileage cars, you will have to review the service history and perhaps a PPI. Aside from regular engine oil & filter change and brakes for maintenance, recommended service for spark plug (40K miles), PDK fluid change (60K), air filter (80K).

You've probably already know potential for Air Suspension issues? It may not be wide spread and also not typically optioned on a "S". The other is suspension creak in cold weather.

With regards to PDK whine under heavy acceleration, I assume this is under WOT (pedal to the floor) when during the up-shift? I have experienced this, as well. Realize that the PDK is a dual-clutch transmission with friction discs versus a hydraulic transmission. See this PDK technical description. Shifting in Sport and Sport+ results in shifts at or near red-line

Can't comment on maintenance cost versus MB.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:58 PM
AJ9
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the vibrations in Park/Neutral. The dealer ignored me the first time I complained about this (as it was under extended warranty) then i emphasised the issue and it was inspected while the one of the service center employees was with me in the car. He finally recommended that the engine mounts to be replaced, without mentioning the need to replace the transmission mounts.
Both were changed and the vibration is no more!

So make sure to replace the engine mounts and trans mounts. the vibration is minimal however it is irritating and quite noticeable
Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Unless you're going with the Panny turbo, my opinion would be a CLS550 4 matic. For the price you'll be paying, the Benz has more to offer. Ive cross shopped these two cars a lot.

The PDK is a not a silky smooth transmission . It shifts and sounds like a manual. It shifts more smoothly using the paddles, utilizing it as a manual. Its slightly clunky, whinny, and doesn't take off great in 2nd gear - a little to much lagging. On the plus side, the harder you drive the car, the smoother, tighter, faster it gets. If you're purchasing high mileage, make sure they change out the PDK and diff fluids (if you're getting AWD) as part of the purchase. Fresh fluids for both can smooth out the systems a bit.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 PM
smithsor
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

I just bought a 2011 Panamera base with 63K on it. I had ppi done and revealed brake work needed, bad battery and transmission mounts seeping which didn't stop me. There is a small vibration at idle which may be the mounts and not worried as I like to do most of my own repairs. Luckliy my car has Sport Chrono + w/PASM and the v6 is plenty for me. Must do a ppi which cost me $250. Also my car is Carrara white with Luxor beige interior including dash. Yes, there is reflection in the sun but it's so beautiful with the chrono+ clock I don't care. My engine has a definite clicking sound with the hood open and a service manaager explained this is the fuel injectors which are very robust on Porsche engines. I love the car. It's my first Porsche, wanted a 997 but my four young grandsons love Porsche so this is a true win-win. Even my wife likes it which is win-win-win. Get a ppi. Don't fall in love w/o one.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by smithsor
Yes, there is reflection in the sun (snip) .
a pair of polarized sunglasses will take care of that ( or in my case clipons as I wear glasses) ( my car has a similar interior)

Quick Reply: Wanting to get a 2011 panamera s with 80k.