Panamera 2010-Current

2019 Panamera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 AM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Panamera GTS

How’s it going fellas? Anyone see the new 2019 Panamera GTS that was revealed? Seems to be a nice car. It retains the 8 cylinder engine along with a sports exhaust, sports chrono, an Alcantara interior and other GTS body features. I’m considering adding a Panamera to the stable as a sportier 4 door car alongside my R8 and wife’s S560 4matic. What do you guys think?

Old 02-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Unique car for sure.

I just cant get behind a Car that is so detuned from factory. Forces you to enter the tune and warranty world at a very high price point.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:17 AM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Search the web ("dark side panamera gts excellence magazine"), there is a good article on the 2019 Panamera GTS. It is a great handling sedan. It shares components from the Turbo, with a de-tuned V8 from the Turbo and the PDK transmission from the 4S. If you want maximum horsepower, look at the Turbo. Otherwise, the GTS is a great sports sedan.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Go for it! going to be a real drivers car.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I don’t understand the car. It’s a fair amount more than a 4S but with only a very slight power increase. The GTS has always been about the overall package though. I just wish it was compelling in the power increase over a 4S. The V8 is nice but I wonder about the feel of the weight of that engine etc.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I don’t understand the car. It’s a fair amount more than a 4S but with only a very slight power increase. The GTS has always been about the overall package though. I just wish it was compelling in the power increase over a 4S. The V8 is nice but I wonder about the feel of the weight of that engine etc.
Originally Posted by DogWood
Go for it! going to be a real drivers car.
Originally Posted by dudecs
Search the web ("dark side panamera gts excellence magazine"), there is a good article on the 2019 Panamera GTS. It is a great handling sedan. It shares components from the Turbo, with a de-tuned V8 from the Turbo and the PDK transmission from the 4S. If you want maximum horsepower, look at the Turbo. Otherwise, the GTS is a great sports sedan.
Originally Posted by Outlaw
Unique car for sure.

I just cant get behind a Car that is so detuned from factory. Forces you to enter the tune and warranty world at a very high price point.
The car does look good I’ll give it that. However, I too am concerned about the very detuned engine. It only has about 453 horsepower for such a large car. I’ve never owned a sports car with less than 500 hp before. I’ve had some AMG and M vehicles in the past and all of those cars had turbo engines that came with plenty of power stock. Would one of these cars be tuneable? Will the clutch handle any power upgrades? I love Porsche but to be honest, I’ve never owned one. I was close to piling the trigger on a 991.1 GT3 but went with the 2018 R8 RWS over it for better livability in my opinion. So this car fills in the slot for my small “supercar” like wants.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:47 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

This is personal preference, but I needed a 4 door sedan, and got an M5 Competition fully loaded with ceramic brakes and top notch Merino leather interior - 617 hp stock. Likely cheaper than a GTS Pana. I didn't even consider Panamera. Sub-optimal in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:52 PM
TAG ceo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that it's the same engine as in the turbo and once a tune becomes available this should be a 650hp car. The 4.0TT in the bentley and urus is essentially the same motor and they deliver 620hp/640hp stock.

Not sure how you felt that the R8 RWS was a more livable option than a 991TTS. The 991 rides better, has all wheel drive, has some storage (rear seats), gets better gas mileage and will smoke it in a race. The only thing the r8 does better is sound and possibly looks which is pretty subjective.

All that being said I think you would be very happy with the panamera it truly is a jack of all trades. It's not the fastest, it's not the most luxurious and it's not the most practical - but it is pretty high on all of those which a lot of cars are not
Old 02-28-2019, 04:04 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Originally Posted by TAG ceo
My guess is that it's the same engine as in the turbo and once a tune becomes available this should be a 650hp car. The 4.0TT in the bentley and urus is essentially the same motor and they deliver 620hp/640hp stock.

Not sure how you felt that the R8 RWS was a more livable option than a 991TTS. The 991 rides better, has all wheel drive, has some storage (rear seats), gets better gas mileage and will smoke it in a race. The only thing the r8 does better is sound and possibly looks which is pretty subjective.

All that being said I think you would be very happy with the panamera it truly is a jack of all trades. It's not the fastest, it's not the most luxurious and it's not the most practical - but it is pretty high on all of those which a lot of cars are not
Originally Posted by br911
This is personal preference, but I needed a 4 door sedan, and got an M5 Competition fully loaded with ceramic brakes and top notch Merino leather interior - 617 hp stock. Likely cheaper than a GTS Pana. I didn't even consider Panamera. Sub-optimal in my opinion.
I just got rid of my 16’ X6M a few months ago. I was offered an excellent deal for the M5 but I didn’t want to get one because it has the same motor as the X6M did. That to me is a bit boring. It sounds the same and has a lot of the same features as my other BMW did. Also I never said I chose the R8 over the 911 Turbo. I chose it over the 991.1 GT3 for a few personal reasons. I don’t track my cars so I didn’t feel the GT3 would be a better option for me. Plus I like the looks over the Porsche. I did love the GT3 though don’t get me wrong. At that time it was one of my favorite cars. I’m a huge enthusiast who appreciates all fine high performing cars. The R8 was acquired from a friend who is a manager at an Audi dealer. Just couldn’t pass up on the deal.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:56 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

A simple tune will turn the car into a budget Turbo.. Similar to the 991.2 911 GTS.

The V8 in question is key. It's a very sneaky, low key car.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:56 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

from your comments you'd probably be happier with a turbo vs the GTS
Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I think the GTS will make a great addition to your stable, and a Turbo will make an even better addition! The 2019 GTS may not sound the same as the previous generation because of Turbo vs. NA motor which was a big differentiator (if that engine sound is important to you).
Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 PM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered a 2019 GTS. I did quite a bit of research and came to conclusion that the GTS is more sporty/performance orientated even though it has less HP than the Turbo. In addition, I added all the performance options (18-way Sport seats, Rear Axle Steering, PDCC inc. PTV+, & PCCBs) so the price point came very close to a nicely equipped Turbo. Unfortunately, because I selected some custom leather interior options its delayed the delivery until early July. I'll have to wait until then to see if i made the right decision... I'll be sure to post details after I take delivery.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:11 PM
DevLep
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've considered ordering one as well, and I've done a lot of research. It just doesn't seem to be anywhere near as special as the 970 GTS was. And when I ordered my 2016 GTS the base price was 113k and now it's 128k?.. meh
Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dudecs
If you want maximum horsepower, look at the Turbo.
Look at the Turbo E-hybrid. I’m still in the honeymoon phase with mine but this car has been transformative for me. I can choose between blistering acceleration or a school run at “99 mpg” or +/-35mpg in hybrid mode. The handling is surgical and it is hard to believe you are actually driving a 5,500 lb car. I had a bit of remorse about going with the e-hybrid and the extra weight when I ordered the car, thinking then that maybe I should have just gone with the Turbo S, but that feeling of remorse evaporated in my first week with the car.

Quick Reply: 2019 Panamera GTS