Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Brand New 2018 Panamera got hit. Panicking and need help for diminished value claim.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Bowen Liu
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brand New 2018 Panamera got hit. Panicking and need help for diminished value claim.

Hi fellow Porsche lovers,

I'm sorry that my first post on this forum is about this instead of sharing the joy of owning and driving a Panamera. But this forum seems to me the best out there for any Porsche-related stuff. Right now I'm heartbroken and devastated, almost more than every break-up I've ever had.

My fiancee and I bought a Panamera as she lost her car in a crash on Xmas eve last year. I tried my best to help her get over the loss. We absolutely love the car. And have only 500 miles on the car for the two weeks that we have it.

On Feb 15, when we were eating on the parking lot, a dumbass truck driver tried to use the open space next to us (just parking spots, not an actual road) to take a turn. His wheel caught our front fender and ripped it off. It still physically ache me to think about it. As shown in the attachments, the front fender was ripped off and the left head light was broken.

The other person's insurance (Progressive, same as our insurance) has admitted liability and the car is at a Porsche certified shop waiting to be repaired. Right now I'm nearly at a total loss as there's just so much for me to consider and do. Life goes from one extreme to another.

Our car was registered in VA and the accident happened in PA. Does anyone know any good appraiser or diminished value attorney that can help me given the circumstances? Would talking through an attorney be helpful as their voice may carry more weight or shall I begin with just an appraiser?

Any advice is deeply appreciated.Thank you for your time in advance.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Since progressive is both the at fault insurance and your company, they might be willing to work with you and you can save the costLawyer here. I would hold off on either an appraiser or lawyer.

Progressive will likely have their own independent company who will come up with a DV value. Most likely, they will stick to that independent number. If they tell you they can’t change it as “it’s their policy” , and your not happy with figure than time to get either an appraiser or lawyer or both. Since progress of us both the at fault insurance and around they might be willing to work with you and you can save the cost of both.

I estimate you DV loss at 4-5 k IMO.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Bowen Liu
Track Day

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Since progressive is both the at fault insurance and your company, they might be willing to work with you and you can save the costLawyer here. I would hold off on either an appraiser or lawyer.

Progressive will likely have their own independent company who will come up with a DV value. Most likely, they will stick to that independent number. If they tell you they can’t change it as “it’s their policy” , and your not happy with figure than time to get either an appraiser or lawyer or both. Since progress of us both the at fault insurance and around they might be willing to work with you and you can save the cost of both.

I estimate you DV loss at 4-5 k IMO.
Thanks Outlaw for your reply. I mentioned to the adjuster that I would file a DV claim and they said that I would have to provide proof that I have loss of value. It sounds like the burden of proof is on me. So shall I contact my own insurance agent. Will they really help me get more money from their own company? It seems like right now I have to at least pay for an appraiser.

Again, thanks for your reply.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, every insurance company seems to do a different these days. But yes now you would now need to get a qualified DV assessment. I actually think this is a better way to approach these claims, as the insurance companies that employ separate diminished value amounts are really unwilling to change any numbers without litigation.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:17 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh no, put some tape on there, save that PDLS light!
That is the worst thing that i can envision, someone violating my car by hitting it. Sorry to hear that.
As to diminished value, it is all relative. Some will look at the report (on vehicle history), and wont have a problem. Others will not even look at a car with any accident. All different for everyone.
If you had this, I would ensure it is repaired using oem parts at a Porsche shop (not some indy wannabe). Take pictures of before/after, from far and very close up. Keep all reports/documentation, so if you choose to sell, you have everything you can to show potential buyer that it is not a big deal. Lack of documentation will put doubt into folks' minds. Hope you fare well in repair.
About insurance adjusters, they dont always have a good grasp on value assessment, they do have their tables to go by, which do not necessarily give a proper value to the damage and repair costs. Some damage can show up well after accident as well. Again, wish you luck.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:27 AM
DIMINISHEDVALUE
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is so much that you need to know when presenting a diminished value claim. First, Progressive doesn't care that you are also their policyholder. Second, the first people you speak to at Progressive have one job, to make you go away. They might send a check for a ridiculously low amount or, more typically, attempt to convince you that your car was properly repaired so there is no loss in value. It's a back and forth process where you'll need guidance from an experienced appraiser. You'd be surprised at the obscure and ridiculous reasons insurers will give you to get out of their obligation to fairly compensate you. As we tell every potential client who calls us, you'll need two things - a good diminished value appraisal and persistence. Best of luck.
PS: Sell the car afterward because if it gets hit again you'll have virtually no chance to collect on a second DV claim outside of litigation.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Bowen Liu
Track Day

Originally Posted by ciaka
Oh no, put some tape on there, save that PDLS light!
That is the worst thing that i can envision, someone violating my car by hitting it. Sorry to hear that.
As to diminished value, it is all relative. Some will look at the report (on vehicle history), and wont have a problem. Others will not even look at a car with any accident. All different for everyone.
If you had this, I would ensure it is repaired using oem parts at a Porsche shop (not some indy wannabe). Take pictures of before/after, from far and very close up. Keep all reports/documentation, so if you choose to sell, you have everything you can to show potential buyer that it is not a big deal. Lack of documentation will put doubt into folks' minds. Hope you fare well in repair.
About insurance adjusters, they dont always have a good grasp on value assessment, they do have their tables to go by, which do not necessarily give a proper value to the damage and repair costs. Some damage can show up well after accident as well. Again, wish you luck.
Thanks for the kind words. My heart still sinks and breaks every time I see this. It's in a Porsche certified repair shop called Cavallo now. And all the parts will definitely be OEM. So hopefully it will be all good as new again.

BTW, do you know what gives off that special new car smell? I'm addicted to it and am also afraid that it'd be gone when I get the car back.

The car is registered under my fiancee's name. She said she would never sell it. But we still want to get DV in case she changes her mind. Good advice on keeping all the documents tho. Really appreciate it. I have not slept for a long time due to this. Literally living in agony now. I'm still in search of good appraiser.

Thanks again
Old 02-20-2019, 10:46 AM
Bowen Liu
Track Day

Thanks for the reply. We will get an appraisal. It seems like you have some experience with the industry. Care to share more? Like how to pick a good appraiser? And what is a good way to counter their low ball offer, standing firm or asking to speak to the supervisor?

As for selling the car, my fiancee wouldn't do it and she's very okay with it as long as it's repaired back to its new condition. She wants to drive it until it can't be driven anymore.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Bowen Liu
Track Day

Originally Posted by DIMINISHEDVALUE
There is so much that you need to know when presenting a diminished value claim. First, Progressive doesn't care that you are also their policyholder. Second, the first people you speak to at Progressive have one job, to make you go away. They might send a check for a ridiculously low amount or, more typically, attempt to convince you that your car was properly repaired so there is no loss in value. It's a back and forth process where you'll need guidance from an experienced appraiser. You'd be surprised at the obscure and ridiculous reasons insurers will give you to get out of their obligation to fairly compensate you. As we tell every potential client who calls us, you'll need two things - a good diminished value appraisal and persistence. Best of luck.
PS: Sell the car afterward because if it gets hit again you'll have virtually no chance to collect on a second DV claim outside of litigation.
Thanks for the reply. We will get an appraisal. It seems like you have some experience with the industry. Care to share more? Like how to pick a good appraiser? And what is a good way to counter their low ball offer, standing firm or asking to speak to the supervisor?

As for selling the car, my fiancee wouldn't do it and she's very okay with it as long as it's repaired back to its new condition. She wants to drive it until it can't be driven anymore.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:07 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

What a bummer - that truck driver is a real idiot for pulling such a stunt. At least is wasn't a hit and run. The fact that your car was sitting still may actually help since the accident didn't happen at speed which may had had a far greater affect on damage and resale value. As mentioned by others, your best bet is to simply document the entire episode and keep those records as it sounds like your fiancee won't give up the car. I've had much greater damage done to cars in the past and they have all been satisfactorily repaired so I'd remain very confident that the shop can fix it and that Progressive will pay for it. Do yourself a big favor and don't rush the job to get the car back, let them take their sweet time and drive a free rental in the meantime. Best of luck - sure glad nobody was injured.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM
DIMINISHEDVALUE
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Diminished Value Claim Procedure

Originally Posted by Bowen Liu

I contacted you PM but for everyone else reading this thread, here is our advice to all clients.

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR BEST RESULTS
Set up a Folder on your desktop where you will save all correspondences with the insurance company and anyone else involved with your Diminished Value claim.
Make all of your correspondences to the insurance adjuster, supervisor, etc. in writing. Even after telephone conversations, send a follow-up email confirming what was said. SAVE A COPY.
In most cases the first insurance adjuster or file handler will not be authorized to offer more than a token settlement or nothing at all. By following the suggestions below, your chances of receiving a fair settlement for diminished value are much greater.
Should you encounter difficulties with the insurance adjuster you may do the following:
  • Ask the adjuster to contact me for any clarifications he or she may need. DO THIS IN WRITING! SAVE A COPY.
  • Contact their claims supervisor to escalate your claim to the managerial level. Also advise them that they can feel free to contact me. DO THIS IN WRITING! SAVE A COPY.
  • Contact the insurance department in your state to make a formal complaint for unfair claim practices.
  • If you still do not receive satisfaction you may wish to contact an attorney. Be advised, you are suing the owner of the car that hit you, not the insurance company.
  • PLEASE CALL ME IF THE INSURANCE REPRESENTATIVE ATTEMPTS TO DENY OR LOW-BALL YOUR CLAIM.INSURANCE COMPANIES ROUTINELY ATTEMPT TO MISDIRECT AND MISLEAD YOU SO BE SMART AND FOLLOW THESE SUGGESTIONS.
If the insurance company does not reimburse you for the cost of the appraisal or expert witness fees, if needed, you may deduct a portion of the costs from your federal income taxes as professional services. Consult with your tax-preparer.

Last edited by DIMINISHEDVALUE; 02-20-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Bowen Liu
Track Day

Originally Posted by skiracer
What a bummer - that truck driver is a real idiot for pulling such a stunt. At least is wasn't a hit and run. The fact that your car was sitting still may actually help since the accident didn't happen at speed which may had had a far greater affect on damage and resale value. As mentioned by others, your best bet is to simply document the entire episode and keep those records as it sounds like your fiancee won't give up the car. I've had much greater damage done to cars in the past and they have all been satisfactorily repaired so I'd remain very confident that the shop can fix it and that Progressive will pay for it. Do yourself a big favor and don't rush the job to get the car back, let them take their sweet time and drive a free rental in the meantime. Best of luck - sure glad nobody was injured.
Thank you sir for your reply and kind words. I'm such a soft bastard. I've barely slept after this whole thing. Now seeing what you said nearly brought me to tears. I guess this is the price of growing up. I totaled my fiancee's car on Xmas Eve. I helped her shop and pay for this car to make up for my mistakes. We actually just got engaged. She's happy as long as she's with me. She doesn't mind driving a cheap rental at all to my astonishment. I never knew I could love a car so much. Sorry for rambling. I guess I just can't help it.

The witness told me that the truck was driving at 2 miles/hr. So slow that she was surprised that he didn't see anything.

I definitely will document everything and try my best to get DV. Sorry to hear that you got bigger damage done to your car. Did you try to pursue diminished value?

I certainly won't rush anything. Thanks again for your kind words.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sorry to hear your new PAN get bang. I feel your pain. No big deal, you are OK. 12/2016, We had a new 2016PAN4, and did not even have a license plate. My wife's car got a rear end at traffic light. She was OK, a dent on the bumper not as bad as your. We have AAA. Our AAA took care all the way, $4k for the damage. We decided to keep the $ in our pocket - as of today we still see the dent on the rear bumper. Unfortunately, there was no DV due to accident. As time goes by you will not even know you have an accident in the front. Luckily, you have Porsche, no big deal to get repair. I am here in Tesla land, think about tesla X or S gets bang. The car can be in the shop for a long time to get parts from Elon Musk. LOL ...
You will not even notice the damage when you get your car back from Porsche Body shop.

Hope you feel better ...
Old 02-21-2019, 02:20 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

most of it looks cosmetic, but it also looks like he may have hit the wheel, I'd be real concerned about suspension/steering rack damage - make sure everything is done properly..

I know I'd be crying if that happened to my car..
Old 02-21-2019, 02:45 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I will be crying for few minutes. After I have few glasses of oregon pinot noir I will be relax and happy nothing happens to my body. That is the most important thing LOL ...
Drove my 2016 CPO pan hybrid from Bellevue to home bay area 12/29, passed by oregon and forgot to pack a few famous pinot noir from Oregon, LOL ...

Quick Reply: Brand New 2018 Panamera got hit. Panicking and need help for diminished value claim.