Panamera 2010-Current

Phantom trunk lid opens... by itself? Frequently

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 02:20 AM
mgt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phantom trunk lid opens... by itself? Frequently

Wanted to see if anyone has experienced a random trunk opening occurrence gremlin...

My 2015 Panamera GTS started having an issue where the trunk will open at random times —
sometimes when first start the car
sometimes when I shut the driver side door
sometimes when it is just sitting in my garage (I’ll find the trunk open).

Anyone else heard of or experienced this?
Ideas?

I’ve made sure I’m not bumping the key fob or anything like that. It is the weirdest thing. I’ve also tried driving with each key of my 2 fobs (independently) and the gremlin shows no preference.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Wondering - do you have the comfort access or whatever it's called, where you use the motion of your foot to open the trunk? If so, maybe the sensors are covered with road grime which makes them trigger?
Old 02-19-2019, 06:29 PM
mgt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that idea.

I think it is the external trunk switch, I continued to have intermittent phantom trunk openings until one day when the external switch had a total failure and wouldn’t open the trunk at all. Key fobs and internal switch still can open the trunk.

The phantom openings have completely stopped — so by deduction, luck, and a process of elimination - it’s the external switch. I’ll get the switch replaced next time I need something at the dealer.

I’ll update you guys if it turns out to be something else.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:08 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mgt
I’ve made sure I’m not bumping the key fob or anything like that.
Ah ah for me it was because I was pressing on the wrong button on the key fob or just pressing without realizing it. After finding my car parked in the street twice with the trunk open I just physically desactivated the button on my key fob !
Old 02-23-2019, 10:47 PM
NightHawk1520
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgt
Wanted to see if anyone has experienced a random trunk opening occurrence gremlin...

My 2015 Panamera GTS started having an issue where the trunk will open at random times —
sometimes when first start the car
sometimes when I shut the driver side door
sometimes when it is just sitting in my garage (I’ll find the trunk open).

Anyone else heard of or experienced this?
Ideas?

I’ve made sure I’m not bumping the key fob or anything like that. It is the weirdest thing. I’ve also tried driving with each key of my 2 fobs (independently) and the gremlin shows no preference.

Thanks

I had a 2016 Panamera and I've experienced the same exact issue you are describing. At first it wouldn't happen alot, but then it got progressively worse. Come to find out the external button was malfunctioning. The reason why it got progressively worse is because it started raining more where I live. Anytime the button would get extremely wet, the trunk would open. I took it to the dealership and they were able to replace it. The issue though is that the button will malfunction again because the button is exposed to the elements. Its a very poor design by Porsche, which they corrected in the newer models. On my 2018 Panamera, the external trunk button is covered.

Quick Reply: Phantom trunk lid opens... by itself? Frequently