Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Transmission check 2011 Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:13 AM
marktrav
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission check 2011 Panamera?

I’m in the process of acquiring a 2011 Panamera 4 (V6). It’s in excellent shape with 90K miles. CarFax shows an accident reported a year or so ago, but no airbag deployment. Cosmetic repair was done, and it was re-certified by Porsche dealership as being good to go. (That’s what the Carfax says, anyway.)

I drove the car yesterday, and it seemed solid as a rock. Everything worked perfectly in normal driving and gear shifts were smooth and rapid. However, when putting it in reverse, it seemed to be a little sloppy compared to my 996 (2002 Tip). I was backing into the space that was positioned uphill, and it seemed like the reverse needed a bit of gas to take up the slack and begin moving.

I’m not used to the dual-clutch automatic. My 996 Tip will hold reverse like a rock and is linear in movement with throttle application.

Are there any “drivability techniques” I can try while driving around or switching between forward and reverse to check that everything is hunky-dory?

No one can do a pre-purchase until Feb 11th in my area. I’ve looked over the whole car (I’ve got 300K+ miles and maintenance on my various 911s) and everything looks impeccable otherwise. Drives perfectly. No untoward noises.

(And it’s got air-conditioned seats! WooHoo!)

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2019, 01:07 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

In my experience, carfax does not show up many things. You will have to pay for a detailed report, that should give you details from where originally purchased, each registration, each incident (reported one), etc.
I would not buy a Panamera without PPI. I would only do PPI at a shop that routinely services Panameras. Why? because only shops like that will know what the trouble spots are, and can get to them for inspection quickly.
Do PPI only when you are serious about buying the car, but always be willing to walk away from it if something is found you do not like. Then, consider the spent money well spent on saving you the hassle of buying a defective car.
Good luck to you my friend. Great cars to have.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Groundgrubs
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW
i have been thinking about posting this or heading to the dealership. My Panamera S V8 does exactly the same thing. I don’t want to take it in yet, as I want to get an extended warranty in the event it’s a big issue. NO other drivability issues. Trans runs perfect in all modes including Sport+.

Would love to hear from others.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:44 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 236 Posts

The PDK, in my experience is not smooth when maneuvering at low speeds on a slope. I had to reverse uphill out of a parking spot. It was not a smooth exit. So your description is not surprising to me. (2014 PGTS)
Old 02-27-2019, 12:16 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I would 100% buy an aftermarket warranty PPI or not. These cars are reliable, but repairs are not cheap. If you have the tools and time, they are not really any worse than any other car to work on and many DIY videos exist for some of the major maintenance and wear items. I got a warranty specifically for PDK issues (Rare), electronic issues which can be expensive (Rare), and Air suspension/ active handling system failures (common) which are expensive to fix. Good independent shops are WAY cheaper than dealers, and I've actually found more love and experience by small shops for Porsche than Audi, BMW, and Mercedes believe it or not. I have not idea why.

I would not call the PDK smooth to begin with. Its very tight, and somewhat noisy. What I love about it, is it really feels, drives like a manual. The shifts, the rev matching, downshifts etc, it feels and sounds like you're using a clutch, the car is just doing it for you. Because of this, just like an actually manual, trying to drive super smooth from a stop, on hills, and for lazy driving can seem slightly clunky. It does not feel like the silky smooth ZF in an Audi RS7 or the transmission types used in an AMG. However, what you do get is very specific ---- the harder you drive the car, and the more aggressive you want to get, the better the PDK gets. The hard you go, the faster you go, the more aggressive you drive, the better it feels. It actually gets smoother, tighter and faster shifting. This is anecdotal, I have no scientific proof. I'm just going by my experience driving the car for almost a year. I actually really like the sports car feel of the Turbo S with the PDK and all of the active handling systems. The car is just glued to the road, in much more direct and visceral way than the Audi, and the more aggressive you get the better the car feels.

The Audi was much more silky smooth with a ridiculous amount of low end torque which made it just perfect for daily driving with the ability to really get up and go. What the RS7 lacks is poise as you drive more aggressively. The RS7 always feels on the edge of losing it, and it doesn't do as well of a job, putting the power to the ground particularly after you're already moving and in cornering. The launch well.....the RS7 certainly has that down.

Quick Reply: Transmission check 2011 Panamera?