Panamera 2010-Current

2018 4S PDK Overheat

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 12:37 AM
MTM2012
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 4S PDK Overheat

Had the red PDK overheat message come on the other day while driving home on the highway from work. Car shifted in N and I had to coast to the side of the road as the car wouldn’t go back into gear. Had not been driving any harder than normal, so unsure what may have caused this. Shifted back into drive once stopped on roadside with no issues since. Dealer found no issues and reported that maybe it actually overheated. They then reported that “fault could be caused by heavy used launch control.” I told them I used the launch control 1-2 times several months ago. A little pissed about the insinuation that I caused the issue as well as them accepting that a Porsche can be driven too hard during a highway commute. Anyone else have issues with PDK overheating. Seems to be shifting well but did have one instance of hard shift from 1st to 3rd (skipped 2nd) during regular take off.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:57 AM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

seems like the typical BS song and dance that dealerships give when a problem like that arises. how good is your relationship with your salesperson (assuming they work there still)?

im not a mechanic by any means, but something could be off with the cooling system, or the sensors could've given a false message which caused your car to go into neutral when nothing is actually wrong. either way, this is bad news as the PDK ive experienced with my 7 speed in a cayman has worked flawlessly for quite a while. the pdk is supposed to be rock-solid and hearing this makes me worried. id just keep bothering them about it until you get some free stuff out of it tbh
Old 02-05-2019, 11:28 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

have there been any leaks? If you can, raise entire car onto ramps/stands (after warming up for about 4 minutes idling), make sure it is level, get under there and open the PDK fill plug (not the drain plug). It is located between the exhaust pipes. Once opened, stick your finger into the hole. If you feel oil just at the entrance of hole, level is ok.
If you do not feel any oil, level is low. Or pay some $ for a shop to check for you.

Quick Reply: 2018 4S PDK Overheat