Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Exhaust (Inside) Rattle/Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust (Inside) Rattle/Noise

Does anyone else’s Panamera 4S with the sport exhaust system make this noise? Is this normal?

The video is from the day they drove my 2018 4S out of the dealership when I took delivery. The vibration, Rattle, or whatever it should be called isn’t from the tailpipes themselves being loose, it sounds like it is coming from inside the tailpipes somewhere. It is really loud when I start the car in the morning until the car warms up after 30 seconds or so. But, it is also occurring but not as loud when driving - I just can’t hear it personally when driving the vehicle but if you are in the back listening for it you can hear on gear shifts at low speed.

Going to have Porsche look at this. Other than rattles and noises, my car has been awesome.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:59 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not like that, but can be a bit "raspy" when cold and sports exhaust on.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

I like “raspy” but this isn’t raspy, lol. That video and sound occurs when I start the car in “normal” mode so the sports exhaust, if I am correct is off by default. It’s also an all weather thing, occurs regardless of outside temp, as I luckily live in Tampa and the weather has been anything but winter like or cold most of the days.

Last edited by Lawtyger; 01-18-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM
dudecs
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Is it a metallic rattle? Could be due to adjacent heat shields touching each other? I had an issue that I located with the heat shields near one of the mufflers. Had to remove the under-body covers to see and fix the problem (gently bend the heat shield apart). Good luck.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by dudecs
Is it a metallic rattle? Could be due to adjacent heat shields touching each other? I had an issue that I located with the heat shields near one of the mufflers. Had to remove the under-body covers to see and fix the problem (gently bend the heat shield apart). Good luck.
yes, I would say it is definitely metallic. I made an appointment for this Wednesday to get this looked at as well as a couple other things.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Check the license plate mounting. I strongly suspect the plate is buzzing against the bumper cover.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by small car lover
Check the license plate mounting. I strongly suspect the plate is buzzing against the bumper cover.
that’s the first thing I and the salesman thought when the car was pulling out in the video. Checked and definitely not it (wish it was, easy quick fix if it was).
Old 01-27-2019, 09:45 AM
AS1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the dealer able to fix it? I have the same noise on mine as well
Old 01-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by AS1
Was the dealer able to fix it? I have the same noise on mine as well
Yes, the dealer replaced the left muffler and having gotten the car back Thursday it seems the noise is gone thankfully.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:28 PM
jtorrebl
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawtyger

Yes, the dealer replaced the left muffler and having gotten the car back Thursday it seems the noise is gone thankfully.
good to know I’ve had that same noise since day one on cold start up. I should bring it up to the dealer
Old 10-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine does the exact same thing and it’s annoying beyond belief. I’ve had my car to the dealer twice and they’re finally replacing the mufflers. Definitely a bad manufacturing defect. The first time I brought it in, they said it was “pebbles” in the muffler. Yeah, that’s it.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:51 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Pebbles. Like that still isn't going to need to be fixed under warranty? lol
Old 10-10-2022, 09:47 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Damnit I have this exact same issue on an 18 4s ST I just picked up. Can hear it from both sides on cold start and I can hear it in lower range as I hit around 2.5-3k, more so when sport exhaust is on. I’m out of warranty at this point so no way someone is replacing these for me - is it safe to say it’s the PSE flaps? Could be anything of course but when idling and cruising without any throttle at 10mph or 70mph there isn’t any noise, it’s only on cold start or throttle. In 0 mode I hear it less but it’s there, in S I sound like a chainsaw, and it’s not flattering. When I cold start in the train parking lot people look at me like wtf are you doing 😂
Old 10-14-2022, 06:53 PM
BigChief480

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What a crazy time to have someone else post this! My 2018 turbo ST is at the dealer right now for this noise. I have the factory sport exhaust also. They told me they have previously replaced the center section, which includes the flaps themselves I understand. Now they tell me something has failed in the rear section that is creating what is essentially a loud start every time (equal to the Mercedes “emotion start”). They have ordered and are replacing the entire rear section including the mufflers this week. I’ll ask them for photos of the exact failure or at least details, but I’m not sure if they’ll give it to me.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:02 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yikes, yea it’s sort of an embarrassing noise hah, but I’m out of warranty now - are you in warranty and they’re covering the tab?

separately - is this 100% gone after start up or do you hear it when you shift sometimes especially before it’s up to operating temperature

Last edited by JRoz; 10-14-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust (Inside) Rattle/Noise