Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Real OEM brake discs cheaper than at the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:26 AM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Real OEM brake discs cheaper than at the dealership?

Hey all,

on another (non english) Panamera forum I frequent a few users insists that it's not possible to find brake discs as good the one sold at Porsche dealerships for insane bucks (not talking about PCCB here but good old regular brake discs). They kinda insist that if you don't pay $$$ at a Porsche dealership for new brake discs you'll get discs that are a safety hazard and "get what you pay for".

Who makes the brake discs found on a Panamera? Is it possible to find OEM version of these at a price cheaper than what a Porsche dealership would bill?

I don't doubt there are cheap crappy discs: what I want to know is if I can buy brake discs with exactly the same refs and specs that those a Porsche dealership would sell me, but at a cheaper price.

My car (Panamera 4 Platinum Edition from 2013, one of the last 970.1) is CPO / Porsche Approved but I don't need to renew the Porsche warranty before two years. Meanwhile I'd like to change my discs and, if possible, I'd like to not do that a Porsche dealership.

Any infos / explanation on that subject is most welcome !
Old 12-11-2018, 09:19 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A timely question as I'll probably be needing pads and rotors in the next year. Did you try google? I came across a couple dealers that sell Porsche oem parts (Sunset, Hoffman) . They list the front rotors for about $240 for example. And I don't know about insisting that they have to be oem or nothing else. I hear Zimmermann makes pretty good rotors, which I imagine a few here can attest too.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Check with your dealer first. I had my battery replaced at the dealer (in for other stuff) with a non-OEM battery ("acceptable to Porsche" as he phrased it) as recommended by the service advisor. He told me he could put the OEM battery in for 40% more with a wink and a nod.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 PM
martinced
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
A timely question as I'll probably be needing pads and rotors in the next year. Did you try google? I came across a couple dealers that sell Porsche oem parts (Sunset, Hoffman) . They list the front rotors for about $240 for example. And I don't know about insisting that they have to be oem or nothing else. I hear Zimmermann makes pretty good rotors, which I imagine a few here can attest too.
It all seems a very complicated topic. From a huge lot of googling I came up with this: for many Porsche (including for sure the 911 model 964) the manufacturer is Brembo. However Brembo doesn't sell these exact same disc brakes to anyone but automotive brands. But then... It some cases other cars from the same VW group use the exact same part: so if you order at Audi, you pay a cheaper price than if you order exactly the same part but at a Porsche dealership. To make things even weirder: apparently in the US it is legal to advertize as "OEM" parts that are compatible but not really OEM. While in Europe you cannot sell something as OEM if it's not the real OEM part.

And ofc to make things even crazier you can buy full "upgrade kits" (like for people going to the racetrack), including from Brembo for example, which are compatible with the car and which may or may not be cheaper than the stock disc brakes+pads when bought at Porsche.

But my car is under Porsche Approved / CPO in the US (?) warranty for two years and I plan to continue the warranty, so I don't want to modify anything on the car that'd make the car not eligible for the warranty should **** hit the fan

I guess the parts you can get in the US listed as OEM (the Sunset of Hoffman) you mentioned would work well but I also think those same parts couldn't be legally listed as "OEM" in Europe.

So basically: I'm still confused and have no idea what I'm gonna put next. But I know at Porsche that'd set me back something like 1500 EUR for something that I could do or have done by someone for about 500 EUR : )
Old 12-24-2018, 11:36 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are brake pads/rotors part of the warranty? If not, replacing them with any pad/rotor at or not at a Porsche dealer should not affect the current and new warranty. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks...or euros as that appears to be your case.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:02 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

There are OEM, and non OEM replacements available for the First Gen Panamera, I am not sure about the Gen 2.

You're going to save a ton on parts buying online than dealers cost probably in the hundreds of dollars. You're also going to save a magnitude of hundreds of dollars having an independent shop install them or doing it yourself. I think Pelican and a couple other online parts dealers have OEM, and aftermarket replacements that people have reported do just fine. As long as you're not trying to break the last Ring record, you probably can get by with the non OEM!
Old 01-01-2019, 05:42 PM
martinced
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
Are brake pads/rotors part of the warranty? If not, replacing them with any pad/rotor at or not at a Porsche dealer should not affect the current and new warranty. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks...or euros as that appears to be your case.
No, not regular wear / and not regular maintenance. Not pads, not discs, not tires, etc. The "Porsche Approved" warranty (which is called "CPO" in the US !? Or maybe CPO is something else) is a worldwide warranty though : I subscribed it in Germany although my car is from Belgium and already had the PA work at a Spanish dealership because my wipers stopped functionning (the told me is was very rare: but then I did drive 1 700 km under very heavy rain and one hour before reaching my destination, while it was still raining, the wipers suddenly blocked right in front of me !). Apparently if I ship that car to the US (or China or whatever), it keeps working too it's really worldwide. Several Porsche dealership told me that. I took the warranty + assistance at a Porsche Zentrum (Porsche Center) in Germany because they know their business and, well, was a lot cheaper too (2 650 EUR for both warranty + assistance for two years vs, for example, close to 4 000 EUR at some french dealerships for exactly the same thing).

The reason I asked the question is: I wouldn't mind paying OEM discs and having them mounted somewhere to save some EUR but... I don't know if I'm willing to put non OEM discs on.

I'll first ask anyway at the Porsche Center where I took the warranty if in two years they'll accept to renew the warranty for two years with non OEM discs: if they say no than I know I'll go OEM for sure (go two issues in the first two months I had the Panamera than a third one, the wipers, two months later).

Thanks for the answers and see you soon on rennlist !

Quick Reply: Real OEM brake discs cheaper than at the dealership?