Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Which suspension is more comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM
14PanS
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which suspension is more comfortable?

Do Panameras with the optional air suspension ride substantially better than ones with the adjustable shocks suspension?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:28 AM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 14PanS
Do Panameras with the optional air suspension ride substantially better than ones with the adjustable shocks suspension?
I'm pretty sure the most comfortable is the air suspension (which I don't have) and with the PCCB. My dealership told me the air suspension was offering an even much sweeter ride.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:39 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

i would assume that the standard setting (non-sport) on the air suspension would be the most comfortable overall ride, but i don't see pccb having any impact at all. once you move to other suspension settings with the air system, all bets are off.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:45 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I've got PASM with air and don't really care as much about the ride as I do about having Level Control available. Level Control is a must have in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:35 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

AS helps on grainy roads surfaces like concrete for example. Less road noise. Also nice to prevent sagging in the rear when loaded. PCCB will reduce impact harshness for models with the 30 pound front rotors. Might improve the service life of the dampers as well if you’re running on rough roads.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:14 PM
14PanS
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by justabout
AS helps on grainy roads surfaces like concrete for example. Less road noise. Also nice to prevent sagging in the rear when loaded. PCCB will reduce impact harshness for models with the 30 pound front rotors. Might improve the service life of the dampers as well if you’re running on rough roads.
Thanks guys. Love my ‘14 S model but is a bit harsh on impact joints, etc. Was wondering if it was worth looking for a newer one with air suspension.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:42 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 14PanS

Thanks guys. Love my ‘14 S model but is a bit harsh on impact joints, etc. Was wondering if it was worth looking for a newer one with air suspension.
You should go test drive a used model w/ PASM and see for yourself if you need to make the switch. I will say it makes for a great and serene highway cruiser, but even if the suspension is turned to sport or sport plus (which really buttons down the handling) it's still a very quiet and controlled ride.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 PM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

PDCC allows the anti sway bars to be decoupled when the car is traveling straight. Bumps on the right stay on the right and don't upset the rest of the car.
PCCB have less mass therefore less inertia. When a bump is encountered the wheel can move up and down more easily. Quicker vertical motion means the impact can be absorbed by the suspension and not transmitted through the chassis to you. The advantage of the air suspension as far as comfort is that it allows a greater range between comfort and sport(plus). Also I don't think you can get PDCC w/o AS and I think PDCC is a pretty cool trick.

Porsche feels AS = better handling. I have seen nothing contrary and I don't envision my PPT as a 10/10 track car anyway. I have had 911s ('66 and '85) and I have driving fun in my 2010 PTT. I would go for AS to get PDCC in any Panamera if I was doing any extended driving. Or if my local had less than very smooth roads or had speed bumps /steep driveways.

The downside is more complexity = more initial cost and in the long term more maintenance. You can always avoid the long term maintenance by paying more depreciation more frequently.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 68 Posts

I picked up a CPO 2016 GTS which included PASM and the ride is pretty amazing. I have issues with herniated disk and I am incredibly pleased with the AS ride quality after several 600 mile trips. Put it in sport or sport plus and you can really feel it tighten up and get ready for cornering. Seats make a difference too and these seat are so much more comfortable than the e46 M3 it replaced. Can’t wait to track it too!
Old 01-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

What I have noticed about the air ride in all modes, you feel a bit more of the minor imperfections in the road than some other cars and suspensions that I've driven which could be good or bad depending on your perspective on connection to the road. I would say though that in comfort mode, the car really deals with large changes in the surface, speed bumps, large cracks, dips etc better than most systems which gives you this smooth gliding stability. The faster you are going, and the more harsh the surfaces the air ride with all of the suspension options really deals with it perfectly.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 PM
NJRon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
What I have noticed about the air ride in all modes, you feel a bit more of the minor imperfections in the road than some other cars and suspensions that I've driven which could be good or bad depending on your perspective on connection to the road. I would say though that in comfort mode, the car really deals with large changes in the surface, speed bumps, large cracks, dips etc better than most systems which gives you this smooth gliding stability. The faster you are going, and the more harsh the surfaces the air ride with all of the suspension options really deals with it perfectly.
+1
Old 02-24-2019, 08:03 PM
ScreaM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just tried an E-Hybrid with air suspension and 4S without, the difference is pretty significant. Both are on 21" wheels. The E-Hybrid rides very smoothly on imperfect roads. 4S rides pretty well too but you definitely feel more bumps and cracks on the road.

Quick Reply: Which suspension is more comfortable?