Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Looking for recommendation on preowned Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Taus82
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for recommendation on preowned Panamera

I’m looking to get out of the SUV world and transition to a Panamera as my daily driver. Not my first Porsche as I have owned two 911s, currently a 996. I did my fair share of research prior to the 996 purchase and am now doing the same. I would be purchasing preowned and live in Ohio so would like AWD. In your experience, any particular year’s to look for or stay away from? Any particular watch outs? Obviously, PPI is a must. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:50 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

We bought a '13 GTS recently. You get the most powerful NA engine along with AWD. Mid 50s with CPO, had low 30k miles.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I bought a 2010 turbo last year w/ less than 30k miles on it (in excellent condition) for mid-50's and couldn't be happier. They are great cars and several good AWD models from you to choose from depending on your needs. My 996's reliability over 10 years of ownership was instrumental in my decision to move to a Panamera. So far, so good - best of luck w/ your search!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:40 AM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in the same position as the OP. I'm tired of the SUV scene. I had a Cayenne S and really liked it but it wasn't particularly enjoyable to drive.

My friend brought his 2018 Panamera 4S by the house yesterday and it is absolutely gorgeous! I don't think the older Panamera's are terrible but the new design (in my opinion) is a huge improvement.

I will be putting a ton of miles on the Panny because it'll be a daily driver and will be used to shuffle the kids around.

I think I will wait for 2017's to come down in price and try to get a clean used example for a decent discount. Hard to justify a new one when I'll be driving it >20,000 miles/year.

I also agree that the GTS variants are the ones to have (strong NA V8) with a terrific soundtrack.

Good luck to the OP...there are no bad choices here.

Last edited by AlecG; 10-31-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: error
Old 10-31-2018, 01:56 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

with so many variables in a panamera decision, you simply have to do your homework and make sure you understand the nuances of the models and available options. i wound up with a heavily optioned '13 turbo and couldn't be happier. fantastic ride, wonderful interior, and i even wound up with the burmester system, on top of everything else, so the audio is fantastic also. like all porsche purchases, buy the nicest car you can. my previous owner was meticulous and the car reflects that. i literally could not find a flaw and paid a small premium for it. would do it again in a second, as i keep my vehicles the same way, so i know i won't have to 'explain' anything when it comes time to sell. this is my 10th porsche, but my first non-typical porsche.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Taus82
Track Day

Originally Posted by skiracer
I bought a 2010 turbo last year w/ less than 30k miles on it (in excellent condition) for mid-50's and couldn't be happier. They are great cars and several good AWD models from you to choose from depending on your needs. My 996's reliability over 10 years of ownership was instrumental in my decision to move to a Panamera. So far, so good - best of luck w/ your search!
Thanks Jim. Like yourself, my experience with my 996 is exactly why I’m looking at another Porsche as my DD. Engineering and reliability has been spectacular. Like yours, I’m also looking at older ones because of the value. Hoping to hear good experiences from owners of some of the older years. That’s really what I hope to learn from my research. Appreciate your input!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Our '13 GTS replaced a '12 base model that was totaled in an accident. We bought that one as a CPO also and had no problems at all in the years we owned it.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

They are not the cheapest cars for maintenance and repairs but that aren't the worst either. If you already have experience with Porsche, you will be that much better off.

I think the two biggest things are researching the options, and making sure you have a record of all required maintenance completed or getting it done as part of the purchase.

If you do a search there are a lot of buying advice threads.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:05 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

I think it all boils down to how much you are willing to spend.
If you have 100K, you can get a pre owned 2016 or so
If you have 40K, you can get a pre owned 2010, 2011.

So depends. I would say decide on your highest price, then start looking to see what you can get for the money.
I would wait until january, there will be good deals coming up as trades for year end car sales.
If you have your money ready, you can pull the trigger quickly.

As to options, start researching what options Panamera offers. You can then see what each car offers, and if it is a good deal.

Some 2010 models had issue with cam chain tensioner bolts (recall).
So 2011 and later should be good. All major systems pretty much solid.
Regardless of PPI, I would do main maintenance on the car anyway, to ensure you actually have all maintenance done.

Things to check:
- air suspension for leaks
- upper/lower control arms for suspension clunking
- sway bar bushings for suspension squeaking
- any fluid leaks
- plug/coil change
- brake rotors/pads shape
- ext/int condition

Overall, you decide how you feel in it and if you can put up with anything that is not perfect. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:34 AM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I recently picked up a 2013 S which is last year for the NA V8 outside of the GTS. I prefer this engine format. If I had found the right GTS I would have gone that route. But the car I found was immaculate and had 24K miles and a fresh CPO cert so I grabbed it. No regrets. I love it. Has plenty of power for what this car is for me.
I have faster cars in the stable.

So since these cars are fairly rare may also come down to the car you find.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlecG
Iwill be putting a ton of miles on the Panny because it'll be a daily driver and will be used to shuffle the kids around.

I think I will wait for 2017's to come down in price and try to get a clean used example for a decent discount. Hard to justify a new one when I'll be driving it >20,000 miles/year..
i’m in a similar position - want a Panamara as my daily driver but likely targeting a preowned 2017. Can anyone give me the realistic price range for a 2017 base or 4S? Seen a lot of numbers online but would like to hear some real life purchase examples.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:51 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Taus82
Any particular watch outs? Obviously, PPI is a must.
I bought a 2013 Panamera as a daily, low mileage but I drove 15 000 km in 4 months (9 K miles). Got three stuff that broke in 4 months: sunroof console (Porsche asks 1 K + to change that piece), air conditioning compressor and now the wipers (wiper motor died after a long 1 700 km trip under constant heavy rain). Everything was working fine before I bought the car. Long live the CPO / Porsche Approved warranty.

I've got the Porsche Approved warranty now (changed the sunroof console myself before having the Porsche Approved warranty for 50 bucks instead of 1100 EUR).

Next used Panamera I'm buying, I'm buying it with the Porsche Approved warranty directly and I'll always be extending it simply because I don't have the time to fix stuff myself on the cheap (like I did with the sunroof console). Now something breaks (like the wipers motor) and I bring the car to the Porsche dealership and they fix it "for free" (I pay the Porsche Approved warranty yearly ofc but that's like 1.3 K EUR yearly).
Old 11-05-2018, 03:10 PM
iamjpad
Intermediate

I'd say get a warranty no matter what you do... I have had 2 different Techs tell me that the Panamera is the worst when it comes to expensive repairs.
I got a 2011 with only 25K miles on it. I also got a warranty with it at the time but it wasn't from Porsche but it cost like 5K for 4 years.

No joke, I drove the car for just 3 months and the Water pump practically disintegrated, luckily I was one turn from the house, it was winter time and I didn't even realize until I pulled up to the garage and saw steam from the engine bay.
Parked up and 1 hour later all the coolant was on the garage floor.
I was towed to the nearby Dealership who took forever fixing my car because they were arguing with the warranty company over hoses.
Turns out the pump had seized, the belt snapped etc, it was a real mess in there.

The warranty company refused to pay for hoses and Porsche was asking for like $700 for it.
I got so fed up with the whole thing after being told stories by the dealership for 2 weeks, I ponied up for the hoses.
9 months later, car has new issue which I think might be related to the AH08 type issues.
It's with the dealership again, and I'm only waiting to hear what they will try to charge this time.

Car looks great, a beautiful beast but has some serious issue with the length of the front and how low it is.
The front is ridiculously low, you will definitely need to be very careful when pulling into car parks.
I let the lady drive it and she dinged the front bumper while parking. It won't even clear the sidewalk like any other car.
Biggest PITA for me whenever I'm parking the car is that.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

You have to weigh the cost of the warranty vs. the cost of repairs.

Do you have $10,000 or more sitting in an account to pay for rainy day issues? If you do, I wouldn't bother with a warranty because your chances are slim that you're gong to have $5000 in repairs in 3-4 years of ownership. I personally just like the peace of mind, and I typically don't keep my cars through the warrant and get most of it back after trading it in. So far this has worked for me. Everything is a risk with cars, and its a bigger risk the most expensive the car is. I have at least been surprised on the parts availability, as well as the fact that unlike true exotics, you can actually work on a Panamera yourself for the most part. That take a lot of the potential costs of ownership down. The maintenance on the Panamera is actually less frequent than other German cars as well. Its certainly way less often and less expensive than my RS7 was believe it or not. So while the initial cost comes at a premium, I think the maintenance and repairs are not inflated over other German and high end brands.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:41 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

I had CTT and loved it. Wanted to sell to get PTT, but ended up buying PTT before selling the CTT.
Then wife wanted to keep the CTT, and it is how I arrived at having both PTT and CTT.
Transitioning from SUV to PTT, I can say, love the performance and agility especially with PDCC, sometimes wish PTT not as low, for maybe 3 seconds, and then laugh it off.
Still take CTT for many rides, but love the PTT.

Quick Reply: Looking for recommendation on preowned Panamera