Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Skip/Prev Track Control Solution FOUND for CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 05:26 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 92 Posts

I've been bothered by this since I've had my Panny. Very poor design IMO not putting that button on the steering wheel .There are way too many things on this car car that require you taking eyes off the road. Mine will be here later today and am excited to try it.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:12 PM
petelp
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Truble10
I've been bothered by this since I've had my Panny. Very poor design IMO not putting that button on the steering wheel .There are way too many things on this car car that require you taking eyes off the road. Mine will be here later today and am excited to try it.

Cool. I hope you let us know how it goes.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:34 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by petelp
I know, absolutely. But as indicated in my post on this, the Map apps that wish to use that capability need to have code written to support it. And I have yet to see any map apps, other than Apple's, for which that has been done, despite the fact that the capability was introduced in iOS 13.4 several months ago. But we can hope.
DOH! I'd forgotten all about this aspect. I don't really use that dashboard page so hadn't noticed that Waze and Google have yet to do this.
The following users liked this post:
petelp (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Alex K.
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by petelp
Quite true. And I used to do that before before I got the controller we're talking about. It was definitely helpful, but for me personally it was not nearly as convenient as the controller.
Can you send a pictures of your steering wheel? Is that you don't have next/previous track buttons? (to be honest i can hardly believe that) or they are just not supported by carplay device? I have installed aftermarket wireless carplay to my car (Infinii G37X) and it works like a charm, including steering wheel control. It's not the same with my GFs carplay stereo as the steering wheel buttons don't work out of the box and she needs a controller like this: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1

Old 07-27-2020, 06:39 PM
petelp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alex K.
Can you send a pictures of your steering wheel? Is that you don't have next/previous track buttons? (to be honest i can hardly believe that) or they are just not supported by carplay device? I have installed aftermarket wireless carplay to my car (Infinii G37X) and it works like a charm, including steering wheel control. It's not the same with my GFs carplay stereo as the steering wheel buttons don't work out of the box and she needs a controller like this: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1
In the 971 Panny we don't have dedicated next track/prev track buttons on the steering wheel.
We do have a customizable button (with a diamond icon) which can be assigned to either next track OR previous track functionality or several other things. But we can't have access to both next track and previous track buttons at the same time from the steering wheel.

I have the diamond button programmed for "prev track" (or skip back), and that has been working with complete reliability with CarPlay for me. I do both (skip forward and skip back) frequently, and that's why I got the bluetooth controller.

Pete

Steering Wheel from an online shot

Last edited by petelp; 07-27-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:14 PM
PanHopeful
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

petelp, how exactly did you affix the remote over the lighter? It looks like you have some sort plastic that the remote is affixed to, but can’t really tell. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2020, 01:14 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 92 Posts

I have the diamond button programmed for "prev track" (or skip back), and that has been working with complete reliability with CarPlay for me. I do both (skip forward and skip back) frequently, and that's why I got the bluetooth controller.

Pete

I programmed my diamond button to 'skip track' but it does not work with Carplay. Did you do anything special to enable? Is it your bluetooth controller that allows this function?

After buying the
Satechi Bluetooth Media Button Satechi Bluetooth Media Button
, I'm pleased. I was inexpensive, easy to pair and works just as expected. Still wish I had 'skip' and 'back' on steering wheel but this will work for me.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:41 PM
petelp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Truble10

Pete

I programmed my diamond button to 'skip track' but it does not work with Carplay. Did you do anything special to enable? Is it your bluetooth controller that allows this function?

After buying the Satechi Bluetooth Media Button, I'm pleased. I was inexpensive, easy to pair and works just as expected. Still wish I had 'skip' and 'back' on steering wheel but this will work for me.
Glad to hear that the Bluetooth controller is working well for you.

Regarding the diamond button working (or not) with CarPlay when programed for the skip function:
  • One possible issue is the car's memorized settings associated with your key fob. If you've got memory functions on the door with memory buttons "1", "2' and "Key" (the key button on the door has a key icon, ie a picture of a key), you should send the diamond key setting to the key fob immediately after customizing it for the skip function. Otherwise your previous settings (stored on your key fob) might be replacing your new settings when using the key fob to unlock the door
    1. Set up the diamond key again, then
    2. On the door panel showing the 1, 2, and key-icon buttons, press the SET button
    3. On the same door panel (within 10 seconds), press the key-icon button
    4. Stop the car. Get out of the car. Lock the car with the key, wait, then open the car with the key
  • It's always worked for me in my 2018 Panny 971, however it did NOT work for me when I tried it with a 2017 Panny 971 on my test drive before purchasing. Perhaps I have newer software in my 2018. You should see if the dealer can do a software update. Also is it possible that you have a very old iPhone and never update the ios software? if so update your iOS software.
  • I've only programmed it for skip BACK, not skip FORWARD. You only mentioned using it for skip forward. It seems unlikely that that's the difference, but it is a slight possibility. So just to be thorough, you might try skip back for the diamond, to see if that's the difference between us. That's assuming nothing else you've tried works.
And I absolutely agree that Porsche should have a permanent dedicated pair of prev/next track buttons on its steering wheel. It's way more important to me than many of the things they do offer on the steering wheel.

Pete

Last edited by petelp; 07-28-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:53 PM
petelp
Advanced

Originally Posted by PanHopeful
petelp, how exactly did you affix the remote over the lighter? It looks like you have some sort plastic that the remote is affixed to, but can’t really tell. Thanks!
The Satechi controller comes with a foam pad, which is the same size as the button, with adhesive on both sides. Just peel off one side of the protective film, stick the pad on the back of the button, peel off the other side of protective film, and firmly place the button and pad on the lighter hole. Its big enough to get a good a good grip all around the hole.

Pete

Last edited by petelp; 07-28-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Skip/Prev Track Control Solution FOUND for CarPlay