Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera-167/)
-   -   How many miles until new rotors/pads? (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera/1102928-how-many-miles-until-new-rotors-pads.html)

GBG 10-10-2018 05:43 PM

How many miles until new rotors/pads?

I'm approaching 60k in my 2013 GTS. Dealership is telling me 3-5k more miles and I need new rotors and new pads-- sound right? I was hoping just pads or nothing at all needed for some time... normal driving, no tracking.

Thanks!

Pointbye 10-10-2018 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by GBG (Post 15351501)
I'm approaching 60k in my 2013 GTS. Dealership is telling me 3-5k more miles and I need new rotors and new pads-- sound right? I was hoping just pads or nothing at all needed for some time... normal driving, no tracking.

Thanks!

How long do you expect a performance sedan’s brakes to last? This isn’t an Accord.

ciaka 10-10-2018 08:25 PM

60k miles imo is past due. more like 40k or so. but depends on driver too.

DMoore 10-10-2018 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pointbye (Post 15351767)

How long do you expect a performance sedan’s brakes to last? This isn’t an Accord.

There are far worse cars out there than Porsches in this regard. I'd had two Panameras, a 2010 4S and 2013 GTS, prior to an Audi RS7. About 35K miles on each car when traded in. Neither Porsche had even needed pads. The Audi had been through a full set of rotors and pads - and the second rotors were getting close to needing replacement when I traded in the car on my current Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo. So - at least compared to the RS7 - Panamera rotors and pads last nearly forever!!

DMoore
'18 Panamera Turbo ST
'18 Carrera GTS

GBG 10-12-2018 08:29 PM

Thanks guys 👍

pmichaelis 10-12-2018 08:51 PM

I have 54,000 miles and original pads, have been told I will need new rotors when pads are changed but no date given.

lexhair 10-13-2018 11:39 AM

I honestly thought the days of changing pads and leaving the rotors were over about 15 years ago for European marques.

Paul Rathjen 10-13-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by lexhair (Post 15357688)
I honestly thought the days of changing pads and leaving the rotors were over about 15 years ago for European marques.

I don't know why that would be the case, other than the same old trick of getting owners to pay for rotors when you don't need them. If you're hard on the brakes they are going to wear out faster. I'm sure changing pads and not rotors is viable for some cars still. Audi RS7 brakes wear out way faster and cost way more than the Panamera from my experience.

ciaka 10-14-2018 01:50 AM

Rotors will be in good shape as pads wear and need replacement.
Issue is if you want to machine panamera turbo rotors, they are two piece, means machining will be hard as two piece rotors create vibration that may cause uneven machining.
Some shops wont want to do. I just did this to my front rotors, with good result, but still feel slight vibration when braking. Added new ceramic pads.
So in near future I will be putting on new rotors and another set of new pads to make sure my car is 100%.
With ceramic rotors, pads will wear out and rotors will be almost new. So only pad change is needed, but you then fall into the scenario of whether or not to machine rotors before putting new pads on them. I would machine, as only perfect smooth surface will give you good feel.

Paul Rathjen 10-14-2018 09:08 AM

Going through a bedding process after installing pads is important and makes a huge difference. I did this to a friends Audi as they were to scared, after the brakes started squeaking post new dealer install. Dealers don’t bed the brakes typically.

Bedding helps match new pads with new or old rotors which reduces noise, inconsistency in feel, and surging.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443

GBG 10-15-2018 05:32 PM

It's hard for me to know if I really new need new rotors or if my dealer just sees it as "best practices" (and to grab a few extra bucks in labor and throw a bone to his parts pals). I can get a "second opinion" from a indy mechanic, but then it becomes a "who do ya trust". From this thread, it sounds like 60k is about the time that new rotors are needed. I definitely need new pads. So, I'll probably suck it up and do both. Does $4500 all-in sound about right (rotors, pads, other misc related parts, labor)? That's the quote I got from dealer. Thanks!

Paul Rathjen 10-16-2018 12:25 AM

Seems like a lot of labor. The parts are about $2500

NJS_04_996 10-16-2018 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by GBG (Post 15362760)
It's hard for me to know if I really new need new rotors or if my dealer just sees it as "best practices" (and to grab a few extra bucks in labor and throw a bone to his parts pals). I can get a "second opinion" from a indy mechanic, but then it becomes a "who do ya trust". From this thread, it sounds like 60k is about the time that new rotors are needed. I definitely need new pads. So, I'll probably suck it up and do both. Does $4500 all-in sound about right (rotors, pads, other misc related parts, labor)? That's the quote I got from dealer. Thanks!

Regarding the rotors, one thing you can check yourself is if they are scored- run your finger over them (when they're cool of course!) If they're rough , yeah they probably need replacement. But if there are all still smooth, it's probably 50/50 whether their thickness has gone below specs. Your Porsche dealer should have the rotor thickness listed this in their report.