Panamera 2010-Current

What are your Launch Control mode usage habits

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 04:07 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts
Default What are your Launch Control mode usage habits

Trying to get a sense of how often folks on here use their launch control mode for their Panamera.
I have it on my car, waited to use until I get all my fluids checked and verified things are all up to snuff.
So in all, since April when I got my car, i used launch control twice.

Do you run yours often? How often? Whats the consensus for use here?
In my view, any time you run anything hard, it will tend to break on you sooner than later. So just wonder if I am overly cautious, or in line with others.
Thanks.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:35 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I make sure I have my insurance agent's current phone number ready to go.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:09 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

I have yet to use it on mine and I won't until like you I've changed all my fluids, even then I may not use it, well, maybe once - just have to experience it :-)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaka
Trying to get a sense of how often folks on here use their launch control mode for their Panamera.
I have it on my car, waited to use until I get all my fluids checked and verified things are all up to snuff.
So in all, since April when I got my car, i used launch control twice.

Do you run yours often? How often? Whats the consensus for use here?
In my view, any time you run anything hard, it will tend to break on you sooner than later. So just wonder if I am overly cautious, or in line with others.
Thanks.
I've used it twice. Once alone and once with my son. It is a very jarring experience. When I went down to the LA PEC as part of my purchase agreement, I did it multiple times on their car!! Don't really see a real world use for it???
Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 PM
ciaka
Racer

That was my driver reason for delay, making sure I know the car and that its serviced before I try. Was great too.

Originally Posted by DogWood
I have yet to use it on mine and I won't until like you I've changed all my fluids, even then I may not use it, well, maybe once - just have to experience it :-)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 4S doesn't have "launch control" but after reading a limited edition manual describing the mechanics in detail I came to the conclusion that I could duplicate launch control without having it. After the breakin was completed and everything was in order, my son and I went onto a NJ shore road that was level, straight, well paved, well over a mile long and uninterrupted by side roads. My son was driving as he has driven at the Pocono Raceway, at speed, this was the process. Placed the car in 1st gear, stood on the brake vigorously, raised the rpm to about 2500 and slide his foot off the brake. The acceleration was phenomenal, plastering both our heads against the headrests and taking off like a frightened rocket. We had a GoPro mounted and measured a 0 to 60 in 4.3 sec and topped out at 140 mph before we called it quits. Afterward, some calculations indicated that the engine, which is underrated by Porsche, was pulling about 440 hp as opposed to the advertised 400 hp. We have not duplicated that run since it's my bought and paid for car !
Old 09-22-2018, 05:38 AM
Addbuyer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had my car for a just over a year and never tried it. Same with the E63 and C63 before that. Very rarely use sport or sport+, just enjoy the car for what it can do as an every day drive in the knowledge that IT CAN
Old 09-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Why are people so afraid to use the launch control? HAHA! Its a blast.

There is a youtube of a guy using it on a 970 Turbo I believe 50 or 100 times in a row, and the car didn't skip a beat. He actually started getting motion sickness. I think as far and launch control and tranny wear Porsche is at the top of their game, and they don't discourage you using it.

To be honest, no its not useful for day to day driving, but on that occasion when you have a certain car pull up to you, you can use it to wax them, right up to the speed limit, no tire chirp, no spinning, and no drama other than you gonads dropping. I'm not even sure a cop could care since there is no loss of control or tire screeching as long as you are only going to whatever the speed limit is!

Sport Plus suspension is fantastic but if youre not in manual mode the shifting is for sure a little too aggressive for non track driving.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:49 PM
dwwalker14335
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I have tested it a few times with my Dragy app to see what it does versus just mashing the pedal. It is literally about .5 seconds faster to 60 MPH. And, compared to other cars, this launch control is one of the easiest to do and most effective. On the street it would not prove to be much use but if you are at any event like a speed run or like, it helps a ton. Or, I suppose, you want to impress anyone with the power of the Panny, just find a side road and have them hold on!
Old 09-22-2018, 06:57 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Like this.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:37 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

love the no hand launch!

no question Porsche built these to do it, however you are adding extra wear and tear each time, how much and how it will effect it over the long run?

don't plan on keeping the car for more than 25k-50k miles? go for it. want to have it around for 100k? might not want to do that too often.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 PM
dwwalker14335
Advanced

For those who have never tried the launch control, here is what it looks like in a PTTS.

Last edited by dwwalker14335; 09-24-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:12 PM
ciaka
Racer

Did couple times yesterday with kids. They loved each time.
So my total done so far is 4 since owning car.
No plans for more.
Was surprised how well wheel spin is managed by th he software in the car.
Wow. Was def. Worth it.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 PM
dwwalker14335
Advanced

Originally Posted by ciaka
Did couple times yesterday with kids. They loved each time.
So my total done so far is 4 since owning car.
No plans for more.
Was surprised how well wheel spin is managed by th he software in the car.
Wow. Was def. Worth it.
It is definitely a jarring experience but it could be a much harder hit. There is definitely some torque control going on to not hit the drivetrain too hard. The 60 foot is about 1.7x which is right in line with some normal rear wheel cars but the real advantage is getting up so high in the RPMs to get the immediate power delivery after you get rolling. It is one of the long list of things that ultimately sold me on the Panamera.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:30 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I have a 2014 GTS. Try moving your foot from brake to the gas very rapidly. The acceration seems more abrupt than launch control and it squeals the rear tires a bit. Seems the computer knows you need flank speed and drops to first gear without hesitation and the engine response is instaneous. I discovered this accidentally when making a left hand turn out of a parking lot Into a small gap in traffic. My adrenaline was pumping after that.

Quick Reply: What are your Launch Control mode usage habits