Panamera 2010-Current

If you had $180,000 to buy any new car

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:18 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by small car lover
You are not alone. I feel the same way and I happen to have the same $60k threshold.
I guess that makes 3 of us - I got my PTT w/ 28k miles on the clock for $56k and opted for the 20" Savini's for another $2k (very generous seller) and stayed w/in my threshold.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Id love the FF, but I'd be afraid to ever drive it. The maintenance schedule, cost, reliability, parts availability and depreciation if you actually drive it is off the hook. Yes if money was no object it would be a fantastic in your face grocery getter, and I'd be all over it. It is weird and odd, but that's part of what makes it cool. I'll never own one though.

I'd actually buy a 2017 PTT and drive it.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on how fast you want.... I love my 2017 Q7. Can be had very nicely optioned for 85. Not a rocket, but fast enough and has a nicer interior than many cars I have been in twice the price.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
Id love the FF, but I'd be afraid to ever drive it. The maintenance schedule, cost, reliability, parts availability and depreciation if you actually drive it is off the hook. Yes if money was no object it would be a fantastic in your face grocery getter, and I'd be all over it. It is weird and odd, but that's part of what makes it cool. I'll never own one though.

I'd actually buy a 2017 PTT and drive it.
Ferraris come with 7 years of prepaid maintenance. The depreciation in year 1 and 2 is pretty severe, depending on the model. The FF has already taken the worst of depreciation, the $150-175k for well-optioned pre-owned cars is probably a flat spot for a while. Ferrari also provides a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty called Power15, which provides up to 15 years of coverage.

One of my other cars is a California T and I have to say, Ferrari ownership is nothing like what you think it will be when you don’t own one. The one negative that I will highlight is that the service departments never assume you actually use your car on a daily basis, therefore they never seem to be in a hurry when you take it in for service. I’ve been looking at the GT4C Lusso, which comes with the 6.2 liter V12 or the 3.9 liter V8, which is the same engine my car has. I think the FF is a better looking car.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:55 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

SUV the new Bentayga V8, or a Stelvio Quadrifoglio Verde for around $80k and still have some $100K left to play or buy another toy. E63S Wagon leaves you with extra $50K, and not behind a Panny. Same with a new M5, in case of Sedan. On the sports side, besides anything Porsche, the new Vantage is classy )not for my driving habits) or a used 570S.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:06 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Very late to this thread but it's a fun one.

Originally Posted by jnolan
You are constraining yourself with the qualifier that the car be new. For the brands you are talking about, $180k is not at the entry point, and don’t forget that you have to then add on sales tax and licensing... but in all those examples the last thing I would do is buy a new model. For $180k you can buy a lot of pre-owned exotic and ultra-luxury cars and the best advice in this thread, on that point, is to go buy a used Ferrari FF. There are 5k mile cars for sale right now that are CPO and can be had for $175k. A heavily optioned FF sold new for $350k and comes with 7 years of prepaid maintenance and the ability to buy up to 15 years of extended warranty, bumper-to-bumper, right from Ferrari. It’s called the Power15 warranty.

I know, I bought a 2016 California T last week with just 1,340 miles, 1 owner car, CPO, MSRP $272k. I paid $178k for the car, another $20k for tax and licensing.

And here I thought I was getting a good deal on my Panny Turbo ST!

Originally Posted by jnolan

I looked the AMG GT 4 door. I really like the car but it is quite large and, like all things Mercedes, heavy. I have an E63S wagon right now and think the 5.5 twin turbo is one of the finest engines ever created. I’m not so strong on the 4.0 version of this engine, it just doesn’t sound as good and the power curve feels different than my car. The MCT Speedshift 9 is really impressive, almost at the same level that the PDK is. I say almost at the same level because you have to drive it hard to really feel how good it is, around town I often find my car (7 speed, not 9 but otherwise the same transmission) to not be in the right gear. I never have this problem with the PDK. Dynamic AWD is a game changer.

My wagon is a 2016 and I rarely keep cars for more than a few years. I had an order for a Panamera Turbo S E-hybrid Sport Turismo and when I got my initial confirmation of build, before the lock-in date, I saw delivery in 01/2019 but with a MY2018. This irritated me enough to cancel the order. I’m not taking delivery of a 2018 car in 2019 with the depreciation as bad as it is on these cars. So I bought a Ferrari instead and will revisit the AMG replacement in a few months. I’ll probably still buy a Panamera but I’m not going to screw around with build-to-order when there are dealer inventory Sport Turismos with maxed out options available today.

The Audi R8 V10 is one of the great supercars of our time, Lamborghini engine, it’s a screamer. Too bad it feels so damn sterile. As much as I love this car, I just can’t get passionate about it. I think the new Acura NSX is far more interesting. I do find the RS7 to be one of those “damn I hated it but it really grew on me” cars. It’s interesting to note that if you overlay the silhouette of Model S over the RS7, they are really similar but the obedient automotive press never fawns over the 7 like they do the Model S.
Prescient!

Originally Posted by Josh s
GTC4LUSSO T is a beauty and a "reasonably" priced Ferrari for brand new. I really want to get a Panamera Turbo, but they are completely overpriced!! I live in South Florida and they can't give away the Turbos. Most are on sale on the dealer websites, so I may go with the 2019 AMG GT63 4 door or the 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo for around 135-145K loaded. Loaded Panamera's Turbos are going for over 180K
Not sure if you ever pulled the trigger on anything, but still-new 2018 Panamera Turbo STs can be easily had for $30k+ off MSRP.

Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa
I would wait a little if you really want a turbo. We are about to enter into October. The dealers will have to start moving those turbo's. Expect some aggressive discounts. Especially on the lightly optioned/undesirable color combo'D cars.
Even more prescient, though even highly spec'd/nicely optioned cars like the one I found are getting heavily discounted.

I have to admit that this thread did make me rethink my purchase. The Turbo Sport Turismo is a phenomenal vehicle, especially when heavily discounted LOL. The FF is an...interesting alternative for sure. For me, I do occasionally carry a 5th person for short hops, and my dog in the back on the regular, so not a "perfect" choice for me. So, late as I am to this thread, I still choose...the car I am choosing, and put the other $30k in my pocket
Old 02-12-2019, 05:01 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AMG GT 4 door was discarded, but how about the 2 door?
amazing car for that money!
The most beautiful merc built since, ..., well ever.
For me that model's design is a game changer for Mercedes.
And still quite affordable. I've seem them around for 120k with low mileage.

See here.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:40 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

A new 2019 GTC4Lusso V12 starts at $305k without options. If the depreciation on FFs is any indication, the Lusso will drop by about 40-50% in value driving it off the lot, and then hold steady for several years. Panameras seem to drop and stabilize at about the same rate. Too bad that these manufacturers can get away with charging so much for a new car.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pietpara
AMG GT 4 door was discarded, but how about the 2 door?
amazing car for that money!
The most beautiful merc built since, ..., well ever.
For me that model's design is a game changer for Mercedes.
And still quite affordable. I've seem them around for 120k with low mileage.

See here.
i have a 17 AMG GT. Nomenclature is stupid and has nothing to do with 4 door.

You can can get a perfect car GT for around 100.

The best muscle car I’ve ever owned. 600/600 super car numbers tuned and is a blast on the street. Interior is amazing with full leather.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Panamera Hybrid Turbo S
Old 02-13-2019, 11:42 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw

i have a 17 AMG GT. Nomenclature is stupid and has nothing to do with 4 door.

You can can get a perfect car GT for around 100.

The best muscle car I’ve ever owned. 600/600 super car numbers tuned and is a blast on the street. Interior is amazing with full leather.

That car is a knockout. Has a hint of the 970 from the back. Best of health and luck in it.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:35 PM
NJRon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With that, I would buy my CPO 970.2 GTS (which I LOVE), and with the left over money CPO 911 but that’s just me spreading the love around to multiple Pcars in need of a home

Quick Reply: If you had $180,000 to buy any new car