Lease or buy 2017/18 Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:30 AM
Sliu6122
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lease or buy 2017/18 Panamera

Hi everybody

Im new to the forum here and also a potienal new Porsche owner. I’ve been leasing BMW’s and Mercedes quite a bit (currently have a X5M and lease is coming due) and thanks to forums it keeps me in the loop for MF’s, residuals, and any incentives. Unfortunately I can’t find the information I need therefore I need to open a thread to see what people are paying for their new body Panamera’s. Sticker price I’m currently looking at is 140k. Can you guys share with me what you guys paid for your car (how much % saved). Also current to see if anyone leased anything at this price range as well with tier one credit.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2018, 08:10 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sliu6122
Hi everybody

Im new to the forum here and also a potienal new Porsche owner. I’ve been leasing BMW’s and Mercedes quite a bit (currently have a X5M and lease is coming due) and thanks to forums it keeps me in the loop for MF’s, residuals, and any incentives. Unfortunately I can’t find the information I need therefore I need to open a thread to see what people are paying for their new body Panamera’s. Sticker price I’m currently looking at is 140k. Can you guys share with me what you guys paid for your car (how much % saved). Also current to see if anyone leased anything at this price range as well with tier one credit.

Thanks in advance
I am also interested to hear what the MF and Residuals are for the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. My dealer hasn't yet shared that info with me. It is my understanding the rates won't change again until the end of March. Last I knew the MF for Porsche Financial Services was around .0023 which translates to about 4.6% which seems high to me. Further, oftentimes the dealers will mark this rate up even higher so that would definitely be a showstopper. Only reason I would consider a lease is because I may want to trade up to the Mission E when it becomes available if it lives up to the hype. I think the residual on the E-Hybrid is around 60% on a three year lease, but this is based on very old data. Hopefully somebody on this forum can provide us with the current MF and Residual???
Old 02-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Sliu6122
Advanced

Default Chalk white 2018 4S

So here are the ugly lease deals that were offered with tier one credit. Irvine Porsche in SoCal

MF was .0023

didnt bother asking about the residuals after seeing these figures since this is straight out the window.

24 months
5k drive off - 3033

36 month
5k drive off - 2563

39 month
5k drive off - 2450

I laughed at these figures and told the manager I could lease a Royce wraith for 3k a month lol.

As for a purchase sticker MSRP was 141k

selling price is 132500.

It’s a 6.5% reduction.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

So here are the ugly lease deals that were offered with tier one credit. Irvine Porsche in SoCal

MF was .0023

didnt bother asking about the residuals after seeing these figures since this is straight out the window.

24 months
5k drive off - 3033

36 month
5k drive off - 2563

39 month
5k drive off - 2450

I laughed at these figures and told the manager I could lease a Royce wraith for 3k a month lol.

As for a purchase sticker MSRP was 141k

selling price is 132500.

It’s a 6.5% reduction.

What are your thoughts?
Is this for a 2017 or a 2018? If it's a 2018 then 6.5% discount off MSRP is pretty good! Which model? Also you didn't indicate the residual percents? The discounted price should be the cap cost for the lease minus the drive off and the residual that would be the amount subject to the .0023 MF. I guess the best way to figure if it makes sense is to calculate the difference at the end of the lease to determine how much additional money you have to spend if you buy out the lease at the end and then make a guess as to how much you can earn on the money if you do the lease and see if the difference is worth it. I'm thinking on a three year lease the difference in my case will approximate $15K so I'm not sure that will make sense. The older Panameras seem to be holding their value so it could be the residuals are conservative in which case might do better with the up front cash buy. The other thing I find offensive is the "Acquisition Fee" which I believe is right around $1000 - that seems steep to me but the Porsche leases do include GAP protection which other brands charge for so maybe not too onerous. Anyway, I'm interested to hear what residuals they quoted you for the three lease terms.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Is this for a 2017 or a 2018? If it's a 2018 then 6.5% discount off MSRP is pretty good! Which model? Also you didn't indicate the residual percents? The discounted price should be the cap cost for the lease minus the drive off and the residual that would be the amount subject to the .0023 MF. I guess the best way to figure if it makes sense is to calculate the difference at the end of the lease to determine how much additional money you have to spend if you buy out the lease at the end and then make a guess as to how much you can earn on the money if you do the lease and see if the difference is worth it. I'm thinking on a three year lease the difference in my case will approximate $15K so I'm not sure that will make sense. The older Panameras seem to be holding their value so it could be the residuals are conservative in which case might do better with the up front cash buy. The other thing I find offensive is the "Acquisition Fee" which I believe is right around $1000 - that seems steep to me but the Porsche leases do include GAP protection which other brands charge for so maybe not too onerous. Anyway, I'm interested to hear what residuals they quoted you for the three lease terms.
I must be getting tired as I just realized you said it is for a 2018 4S. So a 6.5% discount is pretty good. Does the car have most of the features you want? With an MSRP of $141K I'm guessing it is pretty loaded. I also see you didn't ask about the residuals so apologize for not reading your original post more carefully. Anyway, if you can do the cash buy and the car is to your liking, I think that is probably the way to go.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:53 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be getting tired as I just realized you said it is for a 2018 4S. So a 6.5% discount is pretty good. Does the car have most of the features you want? With an MSRP of $141K I'm guessing it is pretty loaded. I also see you didn't ask about the residuals so apologize for not reading your original post more carefully. Anyway, if you can do the cash buy and the car is to your liking, I think that is probably the way to go.
Got 4% off MSRP for my Panamera 4S. I think I could have gotten more if I shop around. My out the door price was $157k
Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 AM
Sliu6122
Advanced

Yes after getting an idea what the payments were I didn’t even bother asking what the residuals were (I already knew the lease deals were very unappealing).

Only thing it didn’t have that I wanted was the CHRONO and the power rear shades along with the side shades for my two kids.

I built one out with the options that I wanted and it came down to right about the same price. Im considering building one with exactly what I want since this will be a purchase and not a lease.

I also seen seen people on forums get 8-10% off MSRP on base models.

I will continue to push the envelope to see what’s the most they would discount the car just so I have an idea what the playing field is. I haven’t even called any other dealers yet, but coming from a sales associate (test drive) that says Porsche doesn’t negotiate price, to 2% then to 6.5% I thinking I’m making some good headway lol

Old 02-22-2018, 01:41 AM
Sliu6122
Advanced

Originally Posted by crack3rd
Got 4% off MSRP for my Panamera 4S. I think I could have gotten more if I shop around. My out the door price was $157k
yea I’m sure you could of, but paying 157k I doubt 2% made any difference on your budget 😎
Old 02-22-2018, 01:51 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

yea I’m sure you could of, but paying 157k I doubt 2% made any difference on your budget 😎
It does! I could've added more goodies rather than paying it to the dealer.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:52 AM
Sliu6122
Advanced

Originally Posted by crack3rd
It does! I could've added more goodies rather than paying it to the dealer.
true, but I can’t imagine what you didn’t get at 157k

🤔

curious why u opted for a 4s vs the eHybrid?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:58 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

true, but I can’t imagine what you didn’t get at 157k

🤔

curious why u opted for a 4s vs the eHybrid?
I was going back and forth between 4S and the eHybrid. However, decided to go with 4S as the apartment I stayed has no charging port and also had a feeling that ehybrid might have problems.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't buy from Porsche Irvine as they are a stealer. The Sport Chrono is a bad choice due to the wart. Buy from Porsche Fresno instead. If you lease a Wraith, you probably put more money down. The amount it costs to lease one could buy a Panamera outright. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the car outright? Don't waste your money leasing.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Sliu6122
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
You shouldn't buy from Porsche Irvine as they are a stealer. The Sport Chrono is a bad choice due to the wart. Buy from Porsche Fresno instead. If you lease a Wraith, you probably put more money down. The amount it costs to lease one could buy a Panamera outright. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the car outright? Don't waste your money leasing.
Hi Eric.

Can you elabrate “stealer” and “wart”

It appears 6.5% off MSRP was decent but this is my first time around Porsche.

The wraith was just an analogy I used but of course I would never look into that. In conclusion I will purchase the Panamera vs lease.

Im very curious what % people got off MSRP still
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

Sometimes there is more to be considered, depending on the individual's situation and goals. It looks like a purchase is appropriate for the OP. I ordered an '18 E-Hybrid (expected in early Spring) and haven't committed to buying/leasing, but am leaning towards leasing. My specific tax situation won't allow me to take advantage of the rebate on my tax return available through a purchase, however on a lease, it's a straight ~$6,700 deduction off the price of the car used for the lease calculation. That is meaningful. I realize the OP isn't considering the Hybrid, but as I am, and given how fast technology advances, I'm happy to pay a monthly premium to know that in 3 years I can get out of it and into a new one that will undoubtedly have X times the battery capacity and other improvements. Plus in any Porsche, there will be maintenance expenses at some point, and likely significant ones. I'm happy to pass that risk on to the dealer/next buyer and start fresh. Anyway, that is how I am rationalizing leaning towards a lease vs. a purchase, despite the surface economics. As long as we all drive safely and enjoy the ride ... no bad decisions

Last edited by P-Drooler; 02-22-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 PM
hueydumps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Drooler
Sometimes there is more to be considered, depending on the individual's situation and goals. It looks like a purchase is appropriate for the OP. I ordered an '18 E-Hybrid (expected in early Spring) and haven't committed to buying/leasing, but am leaning towards leasing. My specific tax situation won't allow me to take advantage of the rebate on my tax return available through a purchase, however on a lease, it's a straight ~$6,700 deduction off the price of the car used for the lease calculation. That is meaningful. I realize the OP isn't considering the Hybrid, but as I am, and given how fast technology advances, I'm happy to pay a monthly premium to know that in 3 years I can get out of it and into a new one that will undoubtedly have X times the battery capacity and other improvements. Plus in any Porsche, there will be maintenance expenses at some point, and likely significant ones. I'm happy to pass that risk on to the dealer/next buyer and start fresh. Anyway, that is how I am rationalizing leaning towards a lease vs. a purchase, despite the surface economics. As long as we all drive safely and enjoy the ride ... no bad decisions
+1. Also, if you're a business owner, you can tax deduct most/all of the lease payment - I do 85%. The tax benefits far outweigh the higher MF, i've run it both ways many times.

I'm getting 6% off, plus the tax credit, plus the $2500 from Porsche for the delay, so on a $127K sticker car, my cap cost is close to $108K. MF at 230 and resid at 58% (this is an old figure as of Sept - hopefully it's better) for 36 months. i think 39 months might be a little better. esp given that porsche usually does the pull ahead.

Haven't heard anything from my SA on the EPA cert. Although their comm through this process has been less than thrilling, esp compared to BMW and MBZ.

Quick Reply: Lease or buy 2017/18 Panamera