Notices

DIY: Panamera Air Suspension Shock Replacement (Front)

Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 PM
ciaka
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Panamera Air Suspension Shock Replacement (Front)

After doing some work on my PTT, i put this DIY together to help others replace their own shocks.
Ended up replacing both front shocks. Then, one of replaced shocks was not working.
Once I figured that out (info about how to diagnose is in the air suspension info thread),
company overnighted another replacement (I pre paid, and they refund money afterwards -takes about 2 weeks after they get shock back).
Doing first shock replacement took about 4 hours with pics, breaks, etc.
Doing subsequent shock replacements (other side and replace of defective shock), took about 1.5 hrs including wheel attach.

My advice, do not be intimidated. Not difficult. Keep your eyes on the prize - new car with new suspension working perfect.
Then do the job. You will enjoy lots of money saved.
People take their cars to dealer to have this done, have posted bills of $9000 plus tax for replacing front air shocks.

My price for doing this myself:
- $375 for driver shock (pre paid 525, got refund $150 on used core charge)
- $375 for passenger shock (again pre paid 525 and got 10 back after I sent old core back)
- $120 for valve block (decided to replace as Durametric does not have capability to test individual valves to see which is broken or not.
- About 12 hours of time spread over few days (you can do the whole thing in one weekend no problem - one day). Of course,
my time included taking pics, organizing things, doing troubleshooting so I can have proper write up about air suspension (separate thread - search for air suspension info), etc.
Your time will be likely about 8 to 10 hours max, since you already have this all laid out to follow.

Money wise, I spent $870. Compared to $9000 bill, that is $8,130 SAVINGS!!! - Before tax!
Think what you can do with that money!! Of course, if you feel you have too much after DIY, you can paypal me some - I will not complain.

REPLACEMENT PARTS I USED:
Rebuild Master Tech shocks. Look online, make sure you get the proper year and model and side you need.
Not sure if there are other vendors doing this. Cayennes used to have Arnott, but checking I did not see any Panamera air shocks.

OTHER INFO:
While you are doing this work, it is good to think ahead, if you need any other work that will save lots of time, if done at same time as air shock replacement.
- Upper control arms (see my DIY) - if you have clunking over bumps, these are likely culprits
- Lower control arms (see my DIY) - if you have clunking these can be reason too
- Sway bar bushings - if you have squeaking coming from car over bumps these are likely the reason. You can lube them to see if helps, but once all this stuff is being worked on, bushings are just a small addition
- Other brake jobs, etc in the area.

Do not rush, take time to do correctly. Hope this helps you fine folks. Follow each pic as it is numbered. Last pic has hardware torque info.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:01 PM
NJS_04_996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for another wonderfully detailed DIY Ciaka!!
Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 PM
ciaka
User

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996 View Post
Thanks for another wonderfully detailed DIY Ciaka!!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:04 PM
pietpara
User

Wow! That's amazing. Absolutely great posts.

I do guess there is one crucial thing in the listed costs that is not mentioned.... you need a full blown car mechanic garage with bridge and all quality tools to do this work to do this yourself. That investment is probably included in the price from your dealer.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 PM
ciaka
User

Tools:

- eTorx set metric ~$10 - Harbor Freight
- Torx set metric ~10 - HF
- metric socket set 8mm-19mm - ~$12 HF
- metric socket set 10mm - 26mm - ~$12 HF
- Metric socket 12 pt - 22mm - ~4 bucks (or get full large set including this in above set
- Metric socket 26mm 12 pt - ~$4 or get in above set of large sockets
- screwdrivers set (flat, phillips)
- driver bit set - ~$14 Home Depot for 144 bit set
- Jack lifts (2) - ~80/jack - 3 ton jacks fast lift OR 2x jack stands ~$15/stand $30 total
- breaker bar ~$15 HF
- RECOMMENDED - AIr tool set (tank ~$200, gun 1/2 inch drive ~$80), use above socket sets
- 3/8 drive ratchet ~$15 HF
- 1/2" ratchet ~$15 HF
- 3/8" extensions (4 x 8" or 10") ~ $20
- Balljoint puller - free rental from Autozone or buy ~$20
- Light so you can see if you do at night - ~$20 HF 375 lumen LED with magnets
No large garage with lift needed. Nice but not needed.
I will pitch to wife to get a 2 post lift for the garage at some opportuned time, she is trying to convince me to get a pool backyard.

Many of these I bet you already have.
Most people do not get all at once, but collect over time. So if you have been doing any car work, chances are most of these are already in your possession

Originally Posted by pietpara View Post
Wow! That's amazing. Absolutely great posts.

I do guess there is one crucial thing in the listed costs that is not mentioned.... you need a full blown car mechanic garage with bridge and all quality tools to do this work to do this yourself. That investment is probably included in the price from your dealer.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:28 AM
Kamrooz Karimi
User

Thumbs up Nice

Amazing post
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 PM
ciaka
User

Thank you. When I first got the Panamera, I could not find any info on it, so as I was doing maintenance and checks, I started doing DIYs with main quesitons being 'what would a newbe person trying to fix this car part, want to know'. So I made this one plus probably more than half dozen other DIYs to make all our lives easier with this fine car.
Enjoy and if you have a chance to do a DIY, make one detailed, everyone will appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Kamrooz Karimi View Post
Amazing post
Old 07-01-2019, 09:47 AM
David Mazurek
New User

RESULTS? ANYMORE CRACKING,CREAKING,CLUNKING OVER MINOR\MAJOR BUMPS?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: