Panamera 2010-Current

970 Caliper Removal Tools VW T10439

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:34 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 970 Caliper Removal Tools VW T10439

In case you need to remove rotors, or work on car, and need to remove brake parts, here is a DIY set of caliper removal tools T10439 (Porsche Number). Purchasing will cost you about $40/pair.
They will slide into the hole for caliper bolt (that affixes the caliper to the caliper carrier).
They are coated with shrink tubing that was shrunk to make the rods flat.
The shrink tubing serves as material that will compress slightly, and will prevent the caliper from slide back towards the rotor.
When removing rotors, remove one bolt, slide the rod into hole. Remove next bolt, slide next rod into that hole. Remove the brake line mount behind the steering knuckle hub, and then gently slide caliper on the rods away from the rotor, until rotor can be removed.

To make these, go to local Home Depot. Hardware section. Find aluminum rod 3/8 x 36". Cost is about $5.47. It will make you 3 rods. You need 4 only if you need to remove both front rotors. Otherwise only 2 are needed.
After you buy, cut into pieces of 12".
Use file to smooth and round off edges of each rod.
Get shrink tubing to go over the rods. I got 17mm tubing in 5cm (50mm) lengths, but if you can get one long piece, just as good.
Slide tubing over rod and use heat gun or any heat source (like your stove), to shrink the tubing around the rod.
When all said and done, they will look lkike pic below.

The following 2 users liked this post by ciaka:
brett968 (09-04-2021), LittleBitBent (01-26-2022)
Old 09-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I think you should make some for me. I can barely find time to change my spark plugs let alone make my tools from scratch! But cudos to you!

Quick Reply: 970 Caliper Removal Tools VW T10439