Panamera 2010-Current

V6, V8, or Turbo - trying to determine the best option

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts
Default V6, V8, or Turbo - trying to determine the best option

I'm looking at an upcoming Panamera purchase and was looking for a little firsthand feedback on the [previously] available engines, as I'll be buying used. Minus the turbo, I'm talking about the n/a versions of the 6 and 8. My inclination is to go with the 8 or the turbo, but I'm curious what the 6-cylinder owners think of the 300hp and how well it motivates the car. I'm honestly not that worried about gas mileage - actually, I'm not worried about it at all. My desires fall far more on the performance end than they do the fuel economy front.

For anyone that considered both, and test drove both to make their decision, I would love to hear your thoughts on the cars and why you made the decision you did.

Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

If you care mostly about performance why would you consider the 6? Unless it's the turbo 6 in the 2014+ S.

I went late 970 S. Very happy with it. Last of the V8 NA cars other than the GTS. Can't go wrong with one of those IMO. Really nice engine. Plenty of power and excellent match to the PDK.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:15 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

We recently went from a base (6 cyl) to a GTS. I thought the base was ok, until we drove the GTS. Not even close.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:21 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
We recently went from a base (6 cyl) to a GTS. I thought the base was ok, until we drove the GTS. Not even close.
that comment right there is what i was looking for. perfect. thanks.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:28 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c4racer
If you care mostly about performance why would you consider the 6? Unless it's the turbo 6 in the 2014+ S.

I went late 970 S. Very happy with it. Last of the V8 NA cars other than the GTS. Can't go wrong with one of those IMO. Really nice engine. Plenty of power and excellent match to the PDK.
at 300hp, the 6 should perform decently, but i just don't want to be disappointed in the long run. the bump from 300hp to 400hp is rather significant, but the cost differential is also enough to consider the 'value' of both packages. being a relatively heavy car, i didn't want to be disappointed with low overall performance. i'm an aircooled guy, so i'm used to the smaller bodied cars, but i still consider my 993 to be slow with 282hp. i guess i was just curious if anyone would say - all things being relative, of course - that they were surprised [pleasantly] by the performance of the 3.6.

ideally, i could get a '14-'16 GTS with alcantara and vented seats. your comment about the 8 being nicely matched the the PDK is very helpful.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:36 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll add that the 4 wheel drive in the GTS really helps put the traction down, even the 6 cyl would slip a little with just rear wheel drive.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:36 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I didn't drive one but 4Klbs is too much for 300hp if you want it to feel fast. If you dont care about that I'm sure it's adequate. There is a big gap between adequate and fast in my world!
Old 08-02-2018, 07:31 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I was consolidating from an Audi A8L W12 and 996 C4 Cab to a single vehicle so performance was an important consideration. I went w/ the turbo and then added the IPD plenum and VR tune to eliminate the dreaded turbo lag, and the car is supposedly now at 640 hp - exactly twice what I had in the 911. Needless to say, the PTT outperforms all of my prior cars by a considerable margin. The value of these cars on the used market is incredible IMO. Find a dealer w/ several models on the lot and test drive for yourself.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO the best option is one you decide on. drive few, choose one that puts a smile on your face overall, and does not burn a hole in your pocket. Happy driving.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:54 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
but i still consider my 993 to be slow with 282hp. i guess i was just curious if anyone would say - all things being relative, of course - that they were surprised [pleasantly] by the performance of the 3.6.
I'm surprised. I bought it as a family car and my concerns where Porsche, luxury and comfort, not speed, so a Panamera it was. I took the V6 because in my little european country taxes are crazy high: the bigger the engine, the crazier the yearly gift to the state.

But I've been very pleasantly surprised: the V6 is already plenty of fun. It's heavy and long but even in roundabouts I can have some fun. It's not like my 911 but it's still lots of fun. Cruising on the highway at 85 mph and then go pedal to the metal? Little PDK goes from 7 to 4th gear and you're at 100 mph+ in no time: that V6 doesn't feel slow. I just drove it up the mountain: even that is fun.

But then if fuel consumption ain't an issue and if there aren't crazy high taxes on V8 in the US, why would you even bother with a V6?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:29 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by martinced
I'm surprised. I bought it as a family car and my concerns where Porsche, luxury and comfort, not speed, so a Panamera it was. I took the V6 because in my little european country taxes are crazy high: the bigger the engine, the crazier the yearly gift to the state.

But I've been very pleasantly surprised: the V6 is already plenty of fun. It's heavy and long but even in roundabouts I can have some fun. It's not like my 911 but it's still lots of fun. Cruising on the highway at 85 mph and then go pedal to the metal? Little PDK goes from 7 to 4th gear and you're at 100 mph+ in no time: that V6 doesn't feel slow. I just drove it up the mountain: even that is fun.

But then if fuel consumption ain't an issue and if there aren't crazy high taxes on V8 in the US, why would you even bother with a V6?
Because my daily commute (13 miles each way) rarely includes any distance over 65mph for the briefest period of time even with 11 miles of it being parkway.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:56 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Lots of good info here. I owned both the v6 and v8 (970). Had I been honest with myself, I would have started with the v8 and would have saved money because would not have bought another panamera. The first time I settled for the in stock models which was a mistake for me. Either one is good but some self assessment is in order to get the right model for you.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:58 AM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The V8 is a beast but here are two videos of V6 s, to get an idea of what 300 hp are already capable of (they're diesel and not gasoline in the vids because I couldn't find similar vids with the gasoline V6: but these are the same hp. I think the gasoline V6 is a bit faster but I'm not sure).

Panamera ain't a sportcar. 300 hp is adequate but not fast (according to c4racer). Yet a 300 hp Panamera does this:

and this too:

Heresy, I tell you!
Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

It's a matter of use and expectations. If you're coming out of a 911, the 6 isn't going to do it for you in the 970. If you only drive it sometimes and on long hauls in relatively open country, the 6 won't do it for you (although maybe).

As a daily driver in a dense urban environment, the 6 is fantastic in my opinion. @justabout makes a great point. I've had my 4 since February. It's head and shoulders above anything I've ever owned. Am I envious of the S/Turbo/GTS? A bit to be fair. I'm not sure what I'd do with another 100hp but I'd like to try
Old 08-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Konigstiger
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
Lots of good info here. I owned both the v6 and v8 (970). Had I been honest with myself, I would have started with the v8 and would have saved money because would not have bought another panamera. The first time I settled for the in stock models which was a mistake for me. Either one is good but some self assessment is in order to get the right model for you.
This. I was first considering a base V6 until I drove the V8. The extra 100hp just filled that gap in “sense of urgency” I felt when you suddenly stepped on it in the V6. I think the V6’s qualities come out once at speed though.

Quick Reply: V6, V8, or Turbo - trying to determine the best option