Retrofitting options

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 06:09 PM
LouDA
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofitting options

Hi everyone

I just joined but have been looking at some great Panameras recently with intent to add one to the family. I feel there is one out there that is currently overpriced and although is CPO, is not the color I want. I'm going to hold out to get as close to what I want as possible - white or black ext, black interior with every option. My question is, if I find one that has 90% of what I want and is a great deal all-round, how straight forward is it to retrofit options? Can Porsche dealers retrofit? Are things like the sports exhaust worth it or is it better to replace with a full exhaust system?

Thanks,
David
Old 07-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Konigstiger
6th Gear

Hi David,

I just recently joined too after lurking for some time. I’ve recently acquired a new-to-me ‘10 white P4S. Though it might vary between dealers I noticed Porsche is usually quite open to retrofitting options and sport options. You can check the official TEquipment site too which is probably the official list of retrofittable options (someone correct me if I’m wrong :-) )

I have the factory Porsche sport exhaust (PSE) and it was an absolute must-have while I was searching but now that I have it, it’s “ok”. It’s probably the “classiest” exhaust option as it’s the official one and you can close it off via a button but the Panamera does such a good job at deadening the outside noise it sometimes leaves you wanting a little more volume. It’s probably more entertaining for the people outside judging from the looks I get. The car is way too silent w/o an exhaust option of some kind IMO.

What options are must-haves for you?

-James
Old 07-30-2018, 12:54 PM
LouDA
3rd Gear

Hey James,

Congrats on your new '10 4S :-) It was actually a white '10 4S that sold me on the Panamera in the first place, but alas I was too late to purchase and someone else got the car from under my nose. Since then, however, I've been looking into and test driving different models and am set on the Turbo, either in White or Black with a black interior. I have just been spoiled by test driving a charcoal grey Turbo with what seemed to be almost every option and I am now going to feel short-changed if I don't have certain things ;D Such as:
- Ceramic Brakes (PCCB)
- Ventilated, cooled seats (as well as heated)
- Reversing camera
- Sports chrono package
- PDCC
- PASM
- Rear wiper
- Window blinds
- Launch control
- Sports plus
- GPS
- Burmester sound

So I'm just trying to make sure that I get as close to my wishlist as possible before I have to start dropping thousands to bridge the gap. The PSE would be great (and honestly sounds lovely in my opinion) but I also think that it's pretty straightforward to switch out the system for a Techart one or something.

Is there anything else that sold you on the car that the honeymoon period wears off quickly?

David
Old 07-31-2018, 04:29 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

from my own experience, retrofitting is expensive that it does not pay off, specially on an old car as the cost for retrofit is %wise a bit chunk of the buying price of the car.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:42 AM
Konigstiger
6th Gear

Thanks and nice list! I could be wrong but I was under the impression that some of those come included with a Turbo (ie. Sports Chrono, PSE, PASM).

Also if you have the Sports Chrono package it should come with Sports Plus mode and Launch Control I believe.

I’m in agreement with rsyed on retrofitting btw. Ceramic Brakes would be uber expensive so you probably don’t want to dish out the $$ in retrofitting those!

In all honesty I’m very happy with the car, even the PSE. I’m sure that if I made it louder there may be times when I regret that decision as well Options aside I’m one for picking an interior setup that you really like - the kind that you don’t get bored of it in a few months!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:44 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

the sad thing is the tequipment pricing is usually very optimistic and most of the time for material only. the labour costs that come on top to do the retrofit is never listed.

Just try to find the right car with as little changes needed - that should go easy on your purse..
Old 07-31-2018, 12:37 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at Suncoastparts.com, you can put in your year and model and it will list everything available. A dealer can probably give you an estimate of labor charges to install them.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Get the one you want with everything you want. Its an expensive car, just wait and find the right one. You can have a list of priorities, because you're not going to find one with 100% of every single you want, but you can probably find one with 99%!

Retrofitting options is going to be a pain, and cost prohibitive both in parts and labor, unless you want to take on sources used parts and doing self installed. Any dealer sourced options are going to be sky high in price, as opposed to relative pennies when purchased with the used car.

Personally I'm not impressed with factory CPO programs from my own experience. You pay extra for a CPO car, and the reality is the majority of dealers really don't verify those 127 point inspections anyway. I bought a CPO car once that didn't even have the oil changed, and needed new brakes. If you do pay for Porsche CPO, I would make sure it has records of every single required service, and if there are any upcoming required maintenance such as spark plugs or fluids, that its done prior to your purchase. I wouldn't purchased a CPO Porsche either unless it had its brakes replaced recently, and had new tires as well. Those are huge cost items, and the CPO won't replace those things if they are just barely not required to. That's just my opinion. The reputable, larger, exclusionary warranty plans are generally better than factory CPO. That's not always the case, but its been my experience over the last 15 years.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:09 PM
LouDA
3rd Gear

Great responses, thank you! I think I will just keep putting the money aside until I find one that checks every box. The only thing at this moment that I will be ok with leaving off my list is the PSE as that can easily be changed. The brakes are a key piece for me though - what use is power without being able to stop, and paying $22k for them in just parts, well... I'm not prepared to do that

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

PDDC
PASM
PTV

These are considerably more important options than carbon ceramic brakes unless you are planning on going to the track regularly. The above active handling and suspension management systems are why you buy a Panamera, and what make it the best performance sedan in the world. They are things you will feel every time you drive the car. Ceramic brakes will offer you little performance advantage on the street on braking but certainly the weight savings is not insignificant. They should last the life of the car, just make sure you never chip one, and your mechanic never chips one changing the tires or you're going to **** bricks on the replacement cost. If you want the carbon brakes, then you find a car with them, but want them for the right reasons! You are not going to stop better, or faster with them driving to work or the grocery store. The will be lighter, and perform better during extended aggressive driving.

If you want the carbon brakes, then you find a car with them, but want them for the correct reasons! Seriously wait for the right car with everything you want or you will always think about it! They look cook, have an exclusivity to them. I would have been fine with them on my car, but they were not one of my important check boxes.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Cacciatore
Advanced

^^ This. Even if you are going to track regularly (my car with steels has been to 4 track days) a properly matched tire and brake compound will allow you to stop the same if not better than carbon ceramics. The main merit to carbon ceramics is keeping the wheels clean and cool factor. If that's what you are looking for, go for it.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting options