Panamera 2010-Current

High mileage turbo - good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:31 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage turbo - good idea?

Hey all, looking at a fully loaded turbo with 85k mi on it, 2010. Price is reflected due to high mileage but what is the reliability? I have a 996 with 120k miles on it and minimal problems. Is the panamera turbo reliable? Lots of issues or normal maintenance stuff?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I've been researching this for a couple years prior to my purchase. I purchased a little newer one a 2012 Turbo S, and decided to wait because of the extra goodies with the S, that seemed to be a real pain to find on the base turbo models.
Make sure you get a confirmed list of all included options, especial with the various suspension options that really make the car special (PVT,PASM, PDDC) that are actually pretty rare to find on the early turbo models. There is also a powerkit option which is super rare that gives it the power of the later offered S trim.

Porsche remains a top 5 or better brand in most reliability reports. The Panamera is pretty solid both in motor and transmission. The early cars have a couple of recalls concerning cam sensors or something, you'd want to make sure that was done. Some years had a turbo recall, maybe with the S models I forget, for the impellor cracking as well. These recalls are mostly associated with the 2010-2011 model years, but I would make sure to run the VIN of any car you're looking at on the Porsche web site to make sure all recalls have been performed. I would also encourage you to find a car with as few owners as possible and a full detailed service history. Since the Panamera Turbo doesn't have an extensive list of frequent maintenance service, this really should be that difficult. If you don't have that and even if you do, I'd suggest a PPI (inspection) by a reputable shop, not one recommended by whom you're buying from to make sure the car has proper upkeep.

The PDK is near bullet proof but if its beat up, that's a very large expensive fix or replacement especially if you're squeaking by financially to afford the car. I get it, I push my purchasing power on cars too, because I love them, but I buy warranties for the peace of mind because I can't afford a $10,000 fix.

There have been some issues with the front suspension components of the 2010-2011 early year Panameras front suspension components and bushings get noisy and rattle. I don't know how widespread it is, and there might be a recall. Drive the car, get it inspected and makes sure it doesn't feel beat up.
Make sure all of the buttons work, and make sure it shifts smooth but stiff in sport and sport plus mode. Check the rotors and brakes. The last thing you want is a $2500 bill at the service department after you buy the car.

If the car is well taken care of inside and out, and your PPI doesn't find anything serious, you may have a good deal - just keep in mind there is always risk as the miles build up. See if they offer any warranty coverage. Don't be so smitten with the car, that you look past things you shouldn't. Look for that perfect car, and be willing to travel to get it. Get all the options you want, in the colors you want, and don't settle. It makes the end result that much better - TRUST ME!

I found a car that looks almost brand new inside and out, that had under 40,000 miles on the clock. Carbon fiber trim, carbon fiber steering wheel, on full black leather, with basically every option you could get. I was looking for the right car for over 2 years.

Quick Reply: High mileage turbo - good idea?