Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera 4 Power Steering fail, no dashboard warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:26 AM
VINK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 Panamera 4 Power Steering fail, no dashboard warning

My 2018 Panamera 4 power steering failed at around 50 MPH without any warning on dashboard. After some time it came back to normal which is more concerning because it can be intermittent like other issues I have with custom button settings and rear view camera when reverse gear is engaged. After initial diagnostics, temporary power steering fail was noticed in the reports. According to my SA, Porsche was very quick to respond in this matter, they are changing the whole power steering module along with wiring harness. Porsche wants the old parts sent back to them for troubleshooting. Potential recall? I'm not sure if its the issue with main computer or just the power steering module/wiring harness.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:33 AM
IDdoc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar thing happens to me last month. I have a 2017 Panamera 4 with 10k miles. I was driving 70mph on a highway and my steering wheel locked up. No warning lights on dash. I was able to get to an exit and when I slowed down to ~20mph the steering wheel released. Super scary situation. I had my car towed to the dealer. After more than a week they performed diagnostics and test drove the car without being able to reproduce the issue or find any faults. The service department contacted the main office in Germany and it was decided to change the steering column. I have had my car back now for the past month and have had no further issues. Hope all the best.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:15 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, I was always against electric power steering and wonder what happens when something goes wrong. Glad you guys are safe but can you turn at all. I can't imagine going in a bend when something like this happens.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM
IDdoc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to jerk the steering wheel a couple of degrees with a lot of force in order to get to an exit

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera 4 Power Steering fail, no dashboard warning