Panamera 2010-Current

GPS Saga Continues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:32 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Saga Continues

The car is back in for the third time - now into the 4th day and no sign of an answer. They have replaced the antenna with one that they know works (cannibalised from another car) but with no results. FYI they also have new antenna in the country K777. They admit that the fault has materially worsened since they last had it but have escalated to Reading and Germany. Very odd fault - works fine for hours at a time then will just lose it for 30 mins.

Getting an Enterprise rental today for the weekend.

If anyone with a similar issue gets an answer please let me know. Tempted to ask them to change the PCM...I know the 2018s have a slightly different system so that would be nice!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
The car is back in for the third time - now into the 4th day and no sign of an answer. They have replaced the antenna with one that they know works (cannibalised from another car) but with no results. FYI they also have new antenna in the country K777. They admit that the fault has materially worsened since they last had it but have escalated to Reading and Germany. Very odd fault - works fine for hours at a time then will just lose it for 30 mins.

Getting an Enterprise rental today for the weekend.

If anyone with a similar issue gets an answer please let me know. Tempted to ask them to change the PCM...I know the 2018s have a slightly different system so that would be nice!
Hi AJ,

I've not had an issue with the GPS but I did have an issue with the the PCM losing access to the SIM card and I'd get a message saying "SIM card removed" and then a few seconds later "SIM card inserted". I had the cpu replaced (at least that's what they said) in the PCM and I've not had the issue yet. so, maybe a new cpu/pcm system might be the way to go.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Sounds good, think I might start demanding that...will chase Tuesday and ask for a new PCM, antenna and wiring!
Old 05-29-2018, 12:10 PM
ajriches01
Racer

So they have replaced the antenna (no fix), checked the wiring and now replaced the central computer (whatever this is). Apparently it is now working 100% following the computer change and will be returned tomorrow. I imagine this would not have been cheap out of warranty!!

K777, if you have the same issue you should relay this information to your service centre, good luck.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:20 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So they have replaced the antenna (no fix), checked the wiring and now replaced the central computer (whatever this is). Apparently it is now working 100% following the computer change and will be returned tomorrow. I imagine this would not have been cheap out of warranty!!

K777, if you have the same issue you should relay this information to your service centre, good luck.
Central computer is basically the "brains" of the pcm now. On the 971 the display is only that, just a display. What makes it all work is the central computer.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM
ajriches01
Racer

You would not believe it. They fitted new computer and still shows the car a few metres off its position. They refit the one they cannibalised and now that one doesn't work either. They tried new antenna also.

So no answer still - total of about 3 weeks at the garage on and off.

Unreal!!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:03 PM
ajriches01
Racer

VTS tracker removed - no difference.

So now they probably have to replace all of the wiring. Which presumably means taking off the headlining, and parts of the dash?!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:29 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

VTS tracker removed - no difference.

So now they probably have to replace all of the wiring. Which presumably means taking off the headlining, and parts of the dash?!
They did that on mine whilst awaiting the part way back in January, before putting it back they chipped both the piano black quarter pieces of trim either side of the binnacle - make sure you check it when you get it back.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:30 PM
ajriches01
Racer

So they changed the wiring? And it still didn't fix it? Can you share which garage so I can ask West London to contact them?

Quick Reply: GPS Saga Continues