Porsche Dealer trying to pull a fast one

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Porsche Dealer trying to pull a fast one

Hi people!

I've been reading this forum for a few years but I've never actually signed up lol.
Anyway. I am currently on my second Panamera (S E-Hybrid) and I purchased it in September 2017 with 21,000 miles on the clock.
I was told that the vehicle would not need a major service until November 2018, but low and behold, the service due warning popped up 2 months after purchase.
I called Porsche and informed them. They told me it was just a matter of "the service light having to be reset" and that I should go to my nearest dealer to have it done. So I get to my nearest dealer and they tell me "sir it doesn't need to be reset. this car has just never been serviced". What?
They informed me that the service light was just silenced and only interim services had been performed instead. They informed me to communicate with the dealer I purchased the car from and that they will be required to fix their mistake.

So I called them, told me they would call back. 1 week passed. I called them again. Another week passed. This went all the way from November 2017 to now. Finally I get a call back and Porsche say to me. "Well I don't know what you want us to do, you have had the car for 6 months and now its actually due a service because the amount of miles you have driven." I respond with "well if you actually serviced it, it would not be actually due a service now as it would have reset the system. Also, this issue started 8 months ago, so how do you explain that?"

The person on the phone said, and I quote. "We will call you back in a week".

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them before?

Last edited by Tazer; 05-16-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you just service the car? Porsche didn't do anything wrong here. That's why you don't buy used cars.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Well yes, they did. THEY told me at the PORSCHE dealership that it has been serviced and will not have to be serviced until next year. When in fact they didn't service it. They also sent a letter to my house saying I should book the service for November 2018 6 months in advance.
So you see, they sold me a car that they said had been serviced. When it hadn't. And yes, it was from a Porsche dealer.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Originally Posted by Andial
Why don't you just service the car? Porsche didn't do anything wrong here. That's why you don't buy used cars.
Well yes, they did. THEY told me at the PORSCHE dealership that it has been serviced and will not have to be serviced until next year. When in fact they didn't service it. They also sent a letter to my house saying I should book the service for November 2018 6 months in advance.
So you see, they sold me a car that they said had been serviced. When it hadn't. And yes, it was from a Porsche dealer.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:03 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Do you have anything in writing ? Or was this all verbal. Will be difficult to prove if verbal only.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:19 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, I don't see this as an example of "Porsche pulled a fast one." This is a case of a specific dealer who misrepresented a used car. If they put in writing that the car had been serviced, that's an argument you should win. If nothing is in writing and it was a purely verbal representation, my educated guess is that you'll have no legal recourse. IF the dealer is interested in customer goodwill they should take care of it for you. If the dealership's attitude is "we have your $$, so bugger off" I think you'll be stuck.

Moral of the story, every time: GET IT IN WRITING!

DMoore
'18 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo
'18 911.2 GTS
The following 2 users liked this post by DMoore:
Chaos (05-30-2023), MKC91 (06-01-2023)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Originally Posted by c4racer
Do you have anything in writing ? Or was this all verbal. Will be difficult to prove if verbal only.
Originally Posted by DMoore
FWIW, I don't see this as an example of "Porsche pulled a fast one." This is a case of a specific dealer who misrepresented a used car. If they put in writing that the car had been serviced, that's an argument you should win. If nothing is in writing and it was a purely verbal representation, my educated guess is that you'll have no legal recourse. IF the dealer is interested in customer goodwill they should take care of it for you. If the dealership's attitude is "we have your $$, so bugger off" I think you'll be stuck.

Moral of the story, every time: GET IT IN WRITING!

DMoore
'18 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo
'18 911.2 GTS
LUCKILY. I HAVE IT ALL IN WRITING.

I also have history of all the calls
The following 2 users liked this post by Tazer:
Chaos (05-30-2023), MKC91 (06-01-2023)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have my own Panamera's service schedule with me).....isn't an oil change and filter the only thing to be serviced under 20,000 miles? So indeed, the next scheduled service (oil, brake fluid?) would be on you.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Once upon a time, Porsche envisioned dealers only hiring people with no experience in conventional car dealership behavior. Dealers would pay for new employees to be apprentices learning the high standards and exacting behavior befitting an expensive and exacting Porsche automobile.

After the Porsche dealers had a collective good laugh, that notion was banished forever.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have my own Panamera's service schedule with me).....isn't an oil change and filter the only thing to be serviced under 20,000 miles? So indeed, the next scheduled service (oil, brake fluid?) would be on you.
Or depending on the days since last service/age of the car.

They said that it would not need a major service because they had done it, when they had not.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:35 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would seems to me that the selling dealer "misled" you and your purchase decision was partly based on the understanding that you wouldn't need to spend on servicing for a year because " they had done it".

If you have it in writing that they said this, then I would think you would have an opportunity to seek compensation (as in a free service - but only which one is due - as to ask for a major service that may not be due is likely to be seen as "unreasonable")

If you don't have it in writing, verbal statements are difficult to prove.

If you don't have it categorically in writing personally I would try for a compromise, you pay the oil/filter, they cover the labour.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I would go in person, and speak to the manager and not whoever decides to take the call. Show them your paperwork and explain to them they may loose a repeat customer if they don t make this right. When I leased mine with 5000 miles they also told me it was serviced (oil change). I dis trust dealers so much I was hoping they didn t just re set the indicator without changing the oil, LOL.
Good luck.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Most likely the dealer did the 20k service and the next service is due at one year or 40k. "Service required" warning lights are notoriously off on many cars.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You can get angry, but never trust a sales person's word on anything. You should have requested copies of the receipts for all servicing done or at a minimum screen prints from their system prior to purchase. I've never had a problem getting at least one of these for a used car purchase from the servicing/selling dealer. You skipped three mins of homework for months of aggravation.

BTW, I do agree that they should right the wrong and service the car, immediately, at their expense.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by knowspin
Most likely the dealer did the 20k service and the next service is due at one year or 40k. "Service required" warning lights are notoriously off on many cars.
Very likely.

Quick Reply: Porsche Dealer trying to pull a fast one