Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Used Turbo Buying Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 03:22 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Used Turbo Buying Tips

I am looking for a 2014-16 Turbo, < 35K miles and < 90K. In addition, I have some personal preferences like sport exhaust, choice of colors, with varying degrees of flexibility. I am mainly using cargurus and autotrader for the searches. Few questions

1. Cargurus seems to have more listings, and also more indepth info like price history. In order to simplify the search process, should I simply use cargurus? Any reason to use autotrader. Assume both sites have similar usability
2. There are bunch of Turbos that are sitting for 100+ days. Are those red flags to stay away from? Couple of examples
2014 Turbo, 16K miles, 72K, 213 days

2014 TurboS, 22K miles, 80K, 172 days

3. I notice almost 5-10K price drop on many cars that sit for 40+ days. Is it a good idea to let the car sit and get a better price, instead of chasing a relatively new listing?
4. As a side note, up until recently I was pursuing GTS. They have a far broader selection with very nice options. So I am kinda torn. The Turbo rush is too much to give up for a nicely optioned GTS.
5. I had the impression that dealers would be willing to take security deposit to hold the car for a month for out of state deals. Apparently that is not the case anymore. They will only hold after the sale.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:49 PM
junedog
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also shopping, but likely for a 2013 PGTS. I am trying to cast a net as wide as possible. Many cars seem to be cross-listed among the various sites. USAA, of which I am a member, has a car buying service that seems to pick up a few listings that others do not. If you are a member, you should check that out. Otherwise, I tend to focus on Autotrader and cars.com. Also don't forget the PCA classifieds (and of course rennlist classifieds).

I am finding that non-Porsche dealers have the best pricing, but also you need to do more research because they do a poor job of listing options. Also, cars that are traded in locally (rather than cars they buy at auctions) seem to present an opportunity for a good deal. For example, I found a 2011 PTT at a Lincoln dealer in Miami for $34k and 68k miles. MSRP was nearly $160k. That car was probably underpriced by at least $4-5k, if not more. I could not jump on it in time before it sold locally.

Regarding holding cars for out of state buyers, I find that some dealerships seem turned off by out of state buyers, while others are perfectly comfortable and seem in fact to cater to out of state buyers. It seems inconsistent.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:42 AM
nimski62
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m in the Bodyshop business. It almost never makes financial sense to rebuild a car of this caliber unless you get it for a steal, which never happens. Parts costs are outrageous even if you buy used. Not to mention the labor cost it would take to even get it to 90% perfect. You have more than market value wrapped up in the whole thing. A Toyota Camry, sure, all day
Old 01-26-2024, 03:26 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts

... wrong thread?

How do you even accidentally open a 5 year old thread about used car buying and start posting about body shop stuff?
The following users liked this post:
johnnydee (02-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Used Turbo Buying Tips