Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Know issues on the 970 V6 gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:01 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Know issues on the 970 V6 gasoline?

Hi all,

I'm a (very) long time 911 owner (911 Carrera from 1988 which I keep and which I have since... The last century!) and I'm now seriously considering buying a used Panamera (970 V6, gasoline, not diesel either a Panamera or a Panamera 4) from an official Porsche dealer. Actually I started driving to Barcelona (I'm in Spain atm) to check one (which for whatever reason was priced too low) only to have the Porsche dealership call me while I was half-way to tell me someone else beat me to it and just bought it. So I was that close to posting a pic instead of asking questions but, hey, wasn't meant to be that one.

The forum is so big that I tried searching but couldn't find much infos.

I've read that some Panamera S and 4S cars had issues with the Nikasil coating on the cylinders: does that also affect some V6? AFAICT the V6 is basically the V8 with two cylinders less, so it has the same "defects" (if any).

I've also read that the air suspension can be pricey in the long term: is air suspension an option on the V6 at all?

I see many ads with Panamera and Panamera 4 with high mileage: which is good because I take it they're reliable cars?

I'd rather buy it from a Porsche dealership with full PPI and history and pay the little premium but still: I'd like to know beforehand what I'd get into. It's basically to drive slowly (I don't care about all the sporty options: otherwise I wouldn't take the V6 atmo), averaging maybe 10 000 km per year. Regular running costs or a semi-expensive repair aren't an issue but an engine breaking would be bad. So basically I wouldn't want to buy a model considered unreliable so any info on the V6 is most welcome.

Have fun all with your Porsche,
Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I believe the v6 is basically the v8 with two fewer cylinders as you stated, but for some reason the v6 does not seem to be affected by bore scoring. So maybe the lower specific power output helps.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 PM
martinced
Instructor

Ah that's interesting...

Oh well, I think I'll jump and buy one but if anyone has more infos about the little 970 V6 and what to look for, I'm all ears : )
Old 05-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello!

I have a V6 Panamera S E-Hybrid. It's a different V6 motor to the one you've mentioned but I just thought I should post this incase someone else comes across it.
My intake valve went causing the car to go into limp mode. The car was under warranty though, so it was replaced at the dealer. However I think it would have been a pretty expensive fix.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:59 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martinced
Ah that's interesting...

Oh well, I think I'll jump and buy one but if anyone has more infos about the little 970 V6 and what to look for, I'm all ears : )
There is a recall AH08 on MY 2010-2012 Panameras (and Cayennes) to replace camshaft bolts you should be aware of. I believe air suspension indeed was an available option on all models. I just purchased a 2012 Panny4 with 77K miles on it (with PASM, but no air suspension) and am loving it! Good luck with your search!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 PM
cbwinters01
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello Tazer, can i ask what year your SEH is and the ~ mileage the car was at when the intake valve died?
Thanks,
cw
Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 AM
martinced
Instructor

Thanks a lot for the info about AH08. I tried to find information in Europe but couldn't find anything. In the US it says it's Panamera and Panamera 4 (for the model that I'm interested after) that are affected between 2011 and 2012. I found an identical recall in China but they say it's from 2010 to september 2011, also related to the camshaft (it has to be the same screws that need replacement I guess).

Haven't found any info in Europe yet.

It's interesting that this is a recent recall for cars that are already quite a few years old : so cars close to 8 years old are getting recalled.

I'll try to google some more and find more info on this.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Had S E-hybrid 2015, needed 3 injectors, all within a few months of new. 3 visits - same pot oddly. No issues since, sold with 38k miles.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:54 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 2015 Pana 4. 32K miles and never an issue with anything. Uses no oil at all. I can get 30 MPG s on the fuel. I have one with no air suspension on mine. I would suggest the same as they need service/repair at some time and they are expensive to fix. No recalls that I am aware.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:38 PM
martinced
Instructor

Ah yes that is a good point: I'm looking for one without air suspension.

So basically as in Europe they may be affected by the camshaft bolt / AH08 recall issue, but without the recall, so I'll be looking at a late 2012 or newer. I also noticed many people posting about air suspension issues and how at 60/70 k miles it'd need to be fully replaced. So late 2012 or newer and no air suspension.

I don't care much about options: Burmester audio would be really nice but Bose I don't care much (seems a major PITA in case it breaks because it's no regular audio wiring but fiber optics?). Lumbar support would be gorgeous as I'm an old chap now. Memory keys / driver seat would be nice so that wife and I can each have our own key and settings.

So then the "big one" left would be the tranny breaking. Apparently as I understand it the nikasil coating issue ain't affecting the Panamera V6 much (which is kinda weird seen that this problem definitely plagued the 911 and they're V6 too). But, hey, not gonna complain about that.

It's really weird to own a 911 since 20 years, which is now 30 years old, which I used as daily for 5 years while driving it like crazy (I was young back then) and... In which I basically put oil and gasoline. Only two issues in 20 years, on a car that is now 30 years old and still going strong, were a faulty lambda sensor and a 100 EUR fuel pump. And that's it. In 20 years. I'll redo its engine when it'll be needed but it doesn't seem to be any time soon.

And now if I buy a Panamera that is from 2010, "I've got to be concerned because things will start breaking" and "I need to buy it with full PPI and an extended warranty because things will start breaking". On a 8 years old car. Heck, my 911 was older than that when I bought it. Geez, I'll raise my budget a bit to fetch a 2013 or 2014 so I get a few more years before I can dump the car into the trash : (

Porsche quality really went downhill. It's sad they don't make them robusts as german tanks as they used to : (
Old 05-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbwinters01
Hello Tazer, can i ask what year your SEH is and the ~ mileage the car was at when the intake valve died?
Thanks,
cw
Hey, the valve went at 22,000Miles. Started with an intermittent "Loss of Power" then one day it just didn't go away.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:10 AM
Aloysius
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by martinced
Ah yes that is a good point: I'm looking for one without air suspension.
So then the "big one" left would be the tranny breaking.
I have a 2011 970 v6 RWD and it's been sturdy since I purchased it used about a year ago. 95k miles, Steel Spring Suspension, 20" wheels, Bose Stereo (not that bad!), heated seats and rear AC controls. I have a great independent mechanic that went through the car and did a regular transmission service to ensure everything in there was working properly; they recommend changing all the fluids and filters on the transmission more often than not. They find most PDK issues can be solved and/or avoided this way. As Panamera's go, it's the most 'Analog' I could find (I like 'em like that). I think the V6 w/ RWD is a magic combo: powerful enough to get in trouble and a much lighter front end with great steering feel. Good luck with the search - or - hope you found what you're looking for!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:10 AM
martinced
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aloysius
I have a 2011 970 v6 RWD and it's been sturdy since I purchased it used about a year ago. 95k miles, Steel Spring Suspension, 20" wheels, Bose Stereo (not that bad!), heated seats and rear AC controls. I have a great independent mechanic that went through the car and did a regular transmission service to ensure everything in there was working properly; they recommend changing all the fluids and filters on the transmission more often than not. They find most PDK issues can be solved and/or avoided this way. As Panamera's go, it's the most 'Analog' I could find (I like 'em like that). I think the V6 w/ RWD is a magic combo: powerful enough to get in trouble and a much lighter front end with great steering feel. Good luck with the search - or - hope you found what you're looking for!
TYVM... Luck's been with me and I found what I was looking for: a 2013 Panamera 4 Platinum Edition (so not RWD but I plan to do some mountain roads semi-regularly so...).

Interesting about PDK maintenance: I'll make sure to ask when I'll have the engine oil changed!

Quick Reply: Know issues on the 970 V6 gasoline?