Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Base or 4s

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:32 PM
kgtheraad
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So finally drove both an E-hybrid and 4S at newport beach porsche. E-Hybrid felt minorly little heavier but i guess it was a lot more car and better value for the money. Both cars felt equally good planted around the corners and felt equally fast off straight line. 4S i drove had a Sport exhaust which sounded great, specially on a cold start ( But i guess that's a novelty). It also had an rear wheel steering, but i didnt feel any differen'ce with or without it.

The SA offered me a deal on the E-hybrid they have on the lot but its a 7/17 built.( Guess they were the ill fated E-hybrid's sitting on the port for a few months) Even before i consider it ,, do you guys think there would be any issues with that old built. ( Most 4s were this year built). I have heard about the check engine lights popping up left and right on last year production cars.

E-hybrid is a great combination ( volcano grey with Red Interior) ( MAYBE will regret not getting sport exhaust but i will live) and would save me atleast $200/month over a similarly speced 4S but its the last year built getting me to think twice.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:01 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kgtheraad
So finally drove both an E-hybrid and 4S at newport beach porsche. E-Hybrid felt minorly little heavier but i guess it was a lot more car and better value for the money. Both cars felt equally good planted around the corners and felt equally fast off straight line. 4S i drove had a Sport exhaust which sounded great, specially on a cold start ( But i guess that's a novelty). It also had an rear wheel steering, but i didnt feel any differen'ce with or without it.

The SA offered me a deal on the E-hybrid they have on the lot but its a 7/17 built.( Guess they were the ill fated E-hybrid's sitting on the port for a few months) Even before i consider it ,, do you guys think there would be any issues with that old built. ( Most 4s were this year built). I have heard about the check engine lights popping up left and right on last year production cars.

E-hybrid is a great combination ( volcano grey with Red Interior) ( MAYBE will regret not getting sport exhaust but i will live) and would save me atleast $200/month over a similarly speced 4S but its the last year built getting me to think twice.
My car is a June build. Picked it up on 4/26. It now has about 700 miles on it and thus far no problems. All of the cars that were built last summer and held up at the port came with three years of free maintenance and also a $2500 credit from PCNA. I don't know if your dealer can get that for you or not but couldn't hurt to ask. I was mostly concerned about the batteries, tires, and paint. I was told by a senior customer relations person at PCNA that the cars were being moved and charged on a regular basis at the port. Mine was there almost 8 months. At delivery it had 29 miles on it. Bottom line is the paint looks great, the tires are quiet and ride very smooth, and the batteries are charging just fine. Yesterday after a full charge car showed 28 miles of range. The fact it was built in June vs. a more recent build won't make any difference on future value. Both would be 2018 models and after that it depends on the mileage and condition of the car when you go to sell or trade it in. I don't see any need for the Sport Exhaust. The car in Sport + mode burbles and pops on downshifts and sounds plenty loud enough for me. This car is a Sport Sedan and drives like a luxury vehicle on steroids. Can't see spending $2000 for more noise???
Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 PM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

I haven't thought about it. I have read many reviews where in comparison it says, that E-hybrid feels alot heavier and doesn't handle as well as a traditional gas engine car. That's why I was staying away from them. I guess i might go for a test drive of an E-hybrid and try to make a decision by this weekend.
Have you driven both? if yes, Whats your opinion on the difference with the E-hybrid ?
Haven't driven them. Just been looking into them, but unfortunately (or fortunately?) put the money in a nicer place to live than a new car.

Main point was that the E hybrid was certain to have the feature you are looking for. I also think that the mode selector should be standard on all of the Panamera as the push to pass feature alone would pay off in superior experience for the customers, not to mention the easy way to select modes without playing with the dash and console.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:02 AM
CPanamera4s
AutoX

I have a 2012 4s and although I haven't driven a base or 4 model, I wouldn't trade my car for any other panamera. (Any day for a 911 though)

The way someone mentioned that by pressing the sport button the engine really comes alive and the throttle response is amazing. I moved out of NYC and to suburbs of CT so I have all of i95 to jet up and down for 45 min. On late nights average speed is about 80 mph and that's because I have the max 100 mph message pop up due to my tire settings .

I'd say go for the 4s model. You get to say you have the s model.

I also have the chrono package and I can say it's practically of no use. I sometimes turn on the clock just because it's cool and when you reset it its even cooler .but unless you're gonna track this car it's probably of no use .

I would also go with the sport steering wheel . Mine came with multi function, and although it's lovely - especially for changing songs (special function button assigned) I did get it changed to the carbon fiber steering wheel multi function .I regret not going with the carbon sport steering wheel .

Go for the 4s and add sports exhaust . You won't regret it .
Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I second that the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid is the way to go, from what you've described. It has the sport chrono package standard, because it has all-electric mode (E), Hybrid Auto mode (H), Sport mode (S) and Sport Plus mode on the dial, plus the 20-second all-out button. I can't see getting the 4S over the 4 E-Hybrid for any reason, frankly. As you say, the Panamera 4 is plenty quick, especially when accelerating in Sport mode. Add in the electric torque of the E-Hybrid, and its 462 hp, with about the same price (taking into account the USA federal tax credit), and it's a no-brainer. As also stated above, the E-Hybrid handles really well, and the extra weight is distributed well.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:58 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

i have a 4S and can confirm that i enjoy driving it every day. plenty fast, could always be more power but as a daily driver, most excellent. no regrets. personally speaking, i would not be happier with less power, but i’m a hog.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:01 AM
kgtheraad
6th Gear

Originally Posted by whojoemama
i have a 4S and can confirm that i enjoy driving it every day. plenty fast, could always be more power but as a daily driver, most excellent. no regrets. personally speaking, i would not be happier with less power, but i’m a hog.
Does your 4S have sports chrono or sports exhaust ? whats your opinion on those ? Useful or just a weekend novelty?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:14 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

i drive around in sport+ mode all the time — love the power and the sound — so i definitely use the exhaust. i have the sport chrono, but i havent found a use for it except on a track where you are doing laps. but you need the exhaust and i think you need the horsepower.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:02 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

the 4 wheel steering is helpful with daily living with the panamera. The car is very big and the steering helps a lot. It changes how you get around in th city. I don’t want to hit curbs, tight parking spots, etc.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you're in OC, you should just buy from Fresno and collect from PECLA. NB are stealers.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:36 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sport + mode is only with sport chrono...so you use it every day!

You can always add the Sports Exhaust for circa £2,500. I keep getting tempted then realising that you can buy a lot of more useful stuff for that amount of money...
Old 05-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
The base is sufficiently fast. The SC is unnecessary. You don't need AWD in LA either.
I agree.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YoungTurk

I agree.
I’ve not driven the base. I’m sure it’s great. But as I went through the selection process, what struck me was that I was buying a purpose-built 4-DOOR SPORTS CAR. Not a $55k sedan that has a high-performance engine crammed in it and some sporty bits tacked on... The purpose-built aspect of the car is why Porsche can charge such a premium over its German brethren. Again, I don’t know how good the base is or how it compares to the comparable Audi, Merc or BMW, but IMHO, its sportiness is what puts it in another league. In other words: if you can, get the S, get the SCP, get the sport exhaust... it’s all worth it.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Agree with the purpose built 4 seat sports car comment. I was about to pull the trigger on a bmw F10 550 when I drove a Pano S V8. The car is just amazing and an entirely different league. $10K More for a 3 year older bmw sedan was a no brainer !
Old 11-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

So, came across this thread/forum while doing a google search on the very question of base Panamara vs. 4S. Currently drive a Maserati Ghibli S. Looking forward to reading through some of the Porsch Panamara discussions and then posting some questions. Currently three options are in play: (1) buy a 2018 base, (2) buy a pre-owned 2017 or 2018 base, or (3) buy a pre-owned 2017 4S.

One thing I already learned from this thread is that the sports chrono package is an option I may not really need. Also now curious about the hybrid. Vehicle would be my dialy driver (20 miles round trip) and never factored or realized the tax deduction offset on the price.

Quick Reply: Panamera Base or 4s