Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Is Adaptive Air Suspension a Must-Have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 03:17 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Plus u can install lowering links to further bring down the ride height but still have magic carpet ride with 21 or 22 inch wheels.

Thats what I did.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S

Plus u can install lowering links to further bring down the ride height but still have magic carpet ride with 21 or 22 inch wheels.

Thats what I did.
Lives up to the Jersey stereotype.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 PM
john rock
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
Lives up to the Jersey stereotype.
Must be why I like the look, was brought up in West Orange and moved to Roxbury for high school. West Port CT to north of Dallas Texas loosing my Jersey style. Would not have the guts to do the changes, but really appreciate them this looks spectacular.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:18 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by K777
For me, my cars are under warranty, and if I keep longer I would always pay for an extended warranty, like with my 640d previously.
Never had any air suspension issues on our two SE Hybrids. Had other issues, like one battery replaced, GPS module and 3 injectors in mine.

I have heard BMW have issues with the air bags failing on 5 series, and I suppose the bag could be classed as a part that is going to wear. Compressor issues too. So its likely any make is going to eventually have issues.
My previous F07 had both rear bags fail under warranty (one with a cannon shot sound). Our 2008 GL320CDI went through airbags faster than I go through socks.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:52 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I guess PASM now comes standard with the air suspension, while with the older models the air suspension was an additional option added to PASM? I was initially told my 2012 had air suspension (a non Porsche saleman) but I guess if I don't have the level control button, I don't have it?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:16 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
So I guess PASM now comes standard with the air suspension, while with the older models the air suspension was an additional option added to PASM? I was initially told my 2012 had air suspension (a non Porsche saleman) but I guess if I don't have the level control button, I don't have it?
My understanding is that if you don't have a lift button, there is no air suspension. When I looked for a CPO Panamera, it was a priority for me; I didn't consider cars without the air suspension.
My understanding also is that more of the new-generation (2018) Panameras have air suspension standard, but not all of them do. And, no, PASM doesn't mean it has air suspension.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Kevin1017
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys! I test drove a 4E hybrid with 20" wheels and a 4 with 21" wheels but NO air suspension. Surprisingly, the driving experience with the Panamera 4 was better, don't know if it was due to the jerky feeling on the hybrid at low speed, my dealer told me that all 4E hybrids had this problem, if this is really the case, I may just go for a Panamera 4.

Also, one question: the dealer actually showed me the lift button in the car, but that Panamera 4 only comes with the standard PASM (NO air suspension), so standard PASM also has that height-adjust function now?
Old 05-11-2018, 09:59 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eHybrid after a few miles is not jerky at low speeds. Occasionally when braking relatively heavily when the PDK is shifting 2 to 3 but otherwise it's a dream. Surely the economy, power, torque etc make it a more desirable package to a 4?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Kevin1017
AutoX

Thank you for sharing AJ, I guess I will test drive both of them again this weekend to make a decision, because yesterday's experience with the eHybrid was really not good, maybe I was braking too heave every time when it came to a stop?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah yes that's what it is. The 4's have PASM standard (with Lift function) but not Air suspension as that is the option.
Also the hybrid's tax rebate/incentive may be of worth to you perhaps?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:53 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin1017
Thank you for sharing AJ, I guess I will test drive both of them again this weekend to make a decision, because yesterday's experience with the eHybrid was really not good, maybe I was braking too heave every time when it came to a stop?
Not sure why you had the jerky experience but so far I haven't seen it in mine after 700 miles. Car drives like a dream; very smooth and extremely stable. Nothing against the 4 but if you are going to get the air suspension I can't figure out why anyone in the US would not get the 4 E-Hybrid for essentially the same money and pick up another 132HP plus the ability to drive in pure electric mode a lot of the time.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:00 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

5250 miles no jerks ?
and 38000 in my old SEH no jerks ?

I would definitely have another test drive, doesn't sound right.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Not sure why you had the jerky experience but so far I haven't seen it in mine after 700 miles. Car drives like a dream; very smooth and extremely stable. Nothing against the 4 but if you are going to get the air suspension I can't figure out why anyone in the US would not get the 4 E-Hybrid for essentially the same money and pick up another 132HP plus the ability to drive in pure electric mode a lot of the time.
Wart on dash.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 PM
Kevin1017
AutoX

Hi guys, I did some research on internet about the braking system on eHybrid, and I think I got the reasons behind that jerking feeling got:

"It does that in most situations, but when the car is about to come to a stop – say, the last ten feet or so – you get nonlinear pedal force, either it goes soft when you don't expect it to or it briefly firms up, while the brake response remains linear. Even with these faults, the system still beats most hybrid brakes. And we have some hope that the E-Hybrid's brakes will improve, because 918 prototypes exhibited similar pedal feel that was smoothed out with subsequent updates. Luckily there's the available Traffic Jam Assist to modulate the brakes in stop-and-go traffic without your feet getting involved, and it does so with no jerkiness at all."

"On the test car, which we were told was a full production model, the brakes were inconsistent at best. One minute you had a soft pedal, then next minute a brick. On top of that when the brakes did engage, they were very abrupt. These traits mainly showed up in low speed stop-and-go traffic, making driving through downtown Cape Town a lesson in futility."

Some people were saying adding the PCCB option or letting ACC to do stop-and-go will help to alleviate the issue, any thoughts?
Old 05-11-2018, 09:32 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin1017
Hi guys, I did some research on internet about the braking system on eHybrid, and I think I got the reasons behind that jerking feeling got:

"It does that in most situations, but when the car is about to come to a stop – say, the last ten feet or so – you get nonlinear pedal force, either it goes soft when you don't expect it to or it briefly firms up, while the brake response remains linear. Even with these faults, the system still beats most hybrid brakes. And we have some hope that the E-Hybrid's brakes will improve, because 918 prototypes exhibited similar pedal feel that was smoothed out with subsequent updates. Luckily there's the available Traffic Jam Assist to modulate the brakes in stop-and-go traffic without your feet getting involved, and it does so with no jerkiness at all."

"On the test car, which we were told was a full production model, the brakes were inconsistent at best. One minute you had a soft pedal, then next minute a brick. On top of that when the brakes did engage, they were very abrupt. These traits mainly showed up in low speed stop-and-go traffic, making driving through downtown Cape Town a lesson in futility."

Some people were saying adding the PCCB option or letting ACC to do stop-and-go will help to alleviate the issue, any thoughts?
Your quote is from a preliminary review in either Road and Track or Car and Driver, I can't remember which one. It was written around March, 2017. As a direct result of that article, Porsche held up release of the E-Hybrids in Europe and the early models were delayed about two months. Porsche installed firmware and software updates to correct that problem around May, 2017. The 2017 European models were then released and the pedal problem was eliminated. Obviously the 2018 models also do not have that problem either. Not sure what you experienced or why, but I have not seen anything like it on my car.

Quick Reply: Is Adaptive Air Suspension a Must-Have?