Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Any problems or complaints with the 2018 Panamera (turbo) models yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:28 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Any problems or complaints with the 2018 Panamera (turbo) models yet?

For those that are owning or leasing the 2018 Panamera models, particularly the turbo models, how are you liking the car so far? Are there any problems with this car? Seems like the right car for me, but I'm just worried about its reliability as a serious daily driver. The only other car I'm looking at is the Lexus LS500 which seems just alright to me, but has the Lexus reliability thing going for it.

Other brands to consider would be BMW and Mercedes which I honestly would not like to touch with a ten foot pole. Jaguar looks cool, but I anticipate a lot of problems with them as well.
Not really looking for an Audi either.

How attention-getting is the new Panamera? Just curious about that as well.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:55 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Ok, so after reading a number of threads, I have started to see a pretty common problem: dissatisfaction with the 8 speed PDK in the Panamera models. Can anyone tell me if they got this issue fixed and why it's even like this in the first place? Sounds pretty ridiculous because the PDK, as we all know, is pretty great on the 911 and Cayman models. Can anyone speculate as to the likelihood that Porsche is aware of this problem and whether or not it'll be resolved on all new models sold in 2019?
Old 03-31-2018, 01:57 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 2013 Panamera GTS and have driven a 2017 Panamera 4S. The PDK is suppose to learn the driver's behavior and adapt. However, there are some things to consider...
  • At a Porsche driving event, the instructor said that it pays to be "smooth" with the accelerator versus ON/OFF or jerky.
  • For street driving, "Sport Chronos" mode is the best mode for normal or spirited driving. Normal or comfort mode if you are trying to maximize fuel mileage.
  • It is possible to reset the PDK to relearn you driving behavior and become a smoother driver. I've read that 911 owners have had to do this, too.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 PM
freddieshrink
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Silly Goose:

For what it is worth - and, since this is the 1st really uncomplimentary review of the PP Turbo, I shouldn't take it too seriously - the current issue of C&D does a review of the PP Turbo, Cadillac CTS-V, Mercedes-AMG E63 S 4MATIC and BMW M5. In ascending order. The one quote from that article which is memorable: "Living with it [the latest Porsche infotainment system] on a daily basis may require use of an effective blood-pressure medication."

Caveat emptor! (BTW, I have a PP 4-E Hybrid on order since last April, having gotten stuck in the morass of delays of the EPA and CARB certifications. I am hoping for delivery by May or June. If you look at the Panamera owner's thread, you'll see that several of the PP4EH's have just been delivered within the past week. I haven't followed the conversations re the Turbo models.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:22 PM
usmc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how to compare if something was wrong with pdk type of things you may have heard before because I don't have other porsches or other fast cars to compare it to in order to notice a difference but my experience outside of one problem, has been nothing but perfect. 5,200 miles in

I have a 18 Panamera Turbo custom build, its my daily driver and I keep it in sports mode pretty much all the time except when in bad traffic. The only problem I have had is that within the first 2 weeks of delivery one day I got an error that said ""reduced engine power driving permitted visit workshop", and the car felt like it was stalling/jerking. This happened the first time after leaving the car running while going in to a restaurant to pick up my order. Had to get porsche towed to a dealer, they couldnt replicate it at all but said they reset some computer stuff. Then a few weeks later it happened once after I had been sitting at a sonics drive in waiting for food and when i backed out and went to leave it stalled and gave me the error again but I turned off car and back on in the middle of the road and i havent had it since and its been about 4k or so miles since that.

Maybe if you could tell me something you'd like me to check for or how to know if something might be against what you'd like I can see if I can notice it.
Lv.jpg"
Old 04-05-2018, 09:05 PM
john rock
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I will make this short and leave out all the misery of 47 days in shop, 2018 Turbo new Nov 22, 2017. When stop in normal and full warm trans would bang much like slamming in the clutch on a stick shift car just befor the car stalls at a stop. Forums and service said trans may learn. January brought it in, code said pressure sensors were bad. Order, came in missing parts, waited, done. Note I put in car, to service rep as well as call when the got all parts said normal and warm or will not do it. Dealer; we tested and it is fixed. Mile from dealer, stop and bang. Drove 150 miles hope it will learn with new sensors. Did not, back n shop, first tech came to dealer saw issue report to Porsche. Second tech flys in see issues report to Porsche. Next porsche wants video, sent. When I learn after over month in shop that now porsche wants dealer to drive good turbo and mine, send notes to them. I went bat ****, yelling put in a new trans or module days later they order new trans came in but they broke driveshaft, order, drop intire engine realignment and done. Told them if back I will lemon law it, Happy it s good, finally got to break it in. . Given the deer in the lights Porsche showed, this may not be wide spread.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:20 PM
DrWoa
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
Ok, so after reading a number of threads, I have started to see a pretty common problem: dissatisfaction with the 8 speed PDK in the Panamera models. Can anyone tell me if they got this issue fixed and why it's even like this in the first place? Sounds pretty ridiculous because the PDK, as we all know, is pretty great on the 911 and Cayman models. Can anyone speculate as to the likelihood that Porsche is aware of this problem and whether or not it'll be resolved on all new models sold in 2019?
FWIW I had issues from 1-2 and 2-1. I took it back to the dealership and they re-balanced the fluids and they saw that the computer was "supposed" to learn my driving but there was a code in there that stalled that functionality. They reset it and it's now great!

I have a 2018 panamera turbo with 10k+ miles
Old 10-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Simran Ahluwalia
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john rock
I will make this short and leave out all the misery of 47 days in shop, 2018 Turbo new Nov 22, 2017. When stop in normal and full warm trans would bang much like slamming in the clutch on a stick shift car just befor the car stalls at a stop. Forums and service said trans may learn. January brought it in, code said pressure sensors were bad. Order, came in missing parts, waited, done. Note I put in car, to service rep as well as call when the got all parts said normal and warm or will not do it. Dealer; we tested and it is fixed. Mile from dealer, stop and bang. Drove 150 miles hope it will learn with new sensors. Did not, back n shop, first tech came to dealer saw issue report to Porsche. Second tech flys in see issues report to Porsche. Next porsche wants video, sent. When I learn after over month in shop that now porsche wants dealer to drive good turbo and mine, send notes to them. I went bat ****, yelling put in a new trans or module days later they order new trans came in but they broke driveshaft, order, drop intire engine realignment and done. Told them if back I will lemon law it, Happy it s good, finally got to break it in. . Given the deer in the lights Porsche showed, this may not be wide spread.
John,

I'm in the process of buying a new Porsche as well. Who did you get your vehicle from, and got it fixed from? What was your experience like?

Thanks!
Simran
Old 10-09-2018, 06:18 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it's worth my 17 PTT has been nearly perfect except a infotainment issue I had right when I bought it. Had the car 12 months now, 21K on the dial . I don't know if it is cause of the 4 wheel steer, but it ate through tires rather quickly. I have the new Michelin P4S that has the new foam insert for our PTT and we will see how it rides out.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 PM
john rock
Advanced

Now at 80 days in the dealer, after I posted the above and drove it for less than 1,000 miles it lost reverse and went into limp mode. They towed it in and took over a month to figure out what going on. It was a sending unit and wire harness on the trans. I’ve now put 3,000 miles on it with no problems, love the car but we sure had a bad start. I asked Porsche USA for reimbursement for the 4+ months it was either in shop or not really properly driveable, they would not pay what payments would have been if I financed the total car so used this calculation on the $164,000 car by 60 months. this will be my last new Porsche, may still buy more classics but they have the last of my money. The dealer was no help at all never fought for me, I am what they call a gold customer with over 7 new cars bought bought from Park Place.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 PM
Archer1021
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Anything over 60 consecutive days qualifies for Lemon Law in a lot of states.

i bought the 18 pan turbo feb 18 here is summary:

1. 4800 miles on clock
2. The windows don’t have felt on them so if you tint, be prepared for vertical scratches, no fix, just living with it

3. Had a roof creak for a while when car entered drives on inclines, it was fixed

4. My sat radio antenna went bad, replaced and no issue again

5. One of my keys is faulty, Porsche issues a recall in sept and is replacing both my keys tomorrow actually.

6. Throttle is a bit jerky in sport and sport + at normal street speeds.

7. There seems to be a rattle in my passenger side speaker which dealer going to fix I hope.

overall I give car 9/10. I’ve owned plenty of other cars (bmw, Porsche, Mercedes, Bentley, etc.) and you will always have these petty little issues, but this car is a cut above the rest.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:04 PM
john rock
Advanced

Wow lots of fixes. I had the same window tint felt issues. They are incredible cars, this is my 66 new car most in the past 15 years were German as well. Let’s hope we are done.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 AM
SillyGoose
Racer

Old 10-10-2018, 03:24 PM
Archer1021
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Just dropped off the car to fix the door creak and replace both keys. The car looked so good to me in the service bay I had to snap a couple pics and post.

I think besides the flying spur and the rapide, the panamera has the best looks/proportions than any other 4 door on the market right now. We'll see what the AMG 4 door coupe thing does in the metal when it arrives.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:38 PM
john rock
Advanced

Quick Reply: Any problems or complaints with the 2018 Panamera (turbo) models yet?