Panamera 2010-Current

Vented seats - do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Vented seats - do they work?

For those of you who have the vented seat option, does it help keep you comfortable on those long warm weather drives?
right now they are on my "must have" list, but I was reading a thread in another group where they w=talked about how wimpy the vented seats are in the Panamera

should I move them from "must" to "would be nice"?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:16 AM
vkb123
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice to have but not a must have. When
on max ventilation it is louder than I want so I don’t use very often. Heated seats are quiet and very nice here in the Pacific Northwest. IMO.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Thanks, yes the heated seats are a must, I've gotten used to having them in my wife's Jeep, that and a heated steering wheel :-)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:38 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by DogWood
Thanks, yes the heated seats are a must, I've gotten used to having them in my wife's Jeep, that and a heated steering wheel :-)
If it's a choice between heated steering wheel and ventilated seats, it's the heated steering wheel all day, every day. I've got both but don't use the ventilated seat near as often as I use the heated steering wheel.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:06 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I had them in my Audi A8L W12 and they weren't very useful - I just heard more noise. I also have them in my PTT and in contrast I find them quiet and very effective in those hot summer days. Definitely a luxury item, but I really like mine!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skiracer
I had them in my Audi A8L W12 and they weren't very useful - I just heard more noise. I also have them in my PTT and in contrast I find them quiet and very effective in those hot summer days. Definitely a luxury item, but I really like mine!
Thanks Jim, sounds like they can be hit or miss, guess I will keep them up there as desirable feature, but not a deal breaker if they aren't there.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

short answer -- barely
Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I find them useful. They make no noise at any power besides max power (then they sound like a vacuum cleaner), and they do a good job of cooling down the seat preventing sweat stains, especially if a car has been parked in the sun. Also useful when having people in the car who get cold easily. My mom always is worried about too much AC giving her a cold, so I set AC to 75F but run cooled seats and all if perfect. I also love cooled seats in my 911 TTS, particularly when at a track. I know it sounds like a sacrilege, but they keep me less tired & dehydrated and enable me to run longer days. So I would get them.

Now massage seats are a different question - not sure if I want them or not.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
If it's a choice between heated steering wheel and ventilated seats, it's the heated steering wheel all day, every day. I've got both but don't use the ventilated seat near as often as I use the heated steering wheel.
For me the heated steering wheel is totally worthless because I live in California and I didn't order it. The seat cooling however is something that is very nice to have based on my experience with my Lexus LS so I did order it. Not sure how good the actual cooling is on the Panamera however since I don't have any firsthand experience yet. Interestingly last Spring I was in the Atlanta area and stopped by a Porsche Dealer to see the new (at that time) Panameras. The dealer had received two "launch cars" (one 4S and one Turbo) and he was very upset with Porsche because they didn't have the seat cooling/ventilation feature. He said he would not be able to give the cars away because nobody will buy a luxury car in the Southeast that doesn't have seat cooling. So it really all depends on where you live. If it gets hot in your area you will welcome the ventilated cooling seats for sure. If it gets extremely cold then the heated steering wheel probably makes sense.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:34 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I was a little disappointed in the seat ventilation compared to my previous car (Jaguar). I cured that feeling by not turning on the seat ventilation then realized it makes an appreciable difference in comfort. You get used to it and want more but it’s a desirable option in warmer weather. Panny (970). My 991 has very cold AC so seat cooling is unecessary for me.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:08 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

thanks for the feedback guys
Old 03-21-2018, 01:10 PM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
For me the heated steering wheel is totally worthless because I live in California and I didn't order it. The seat cooling however is something that is very nice to have based on my experience with my Lexus LS so I did order it. Not sure how good the actual cooling is on the Panamera however since I don't have any firsthand experience yet. Interestingly last Spring I was in the Atlanta area and stopped by a Porsche Dealer to see the new (at that time) Panameras. The dealer had received two "launch cars" (one 4S and one Turbo) and he was very upset with Porsche because they didn't have the seat cooling/ventilation feature. He said he would not be able to give the cars away because nobody will buy a luxury car in the Southeast that doesn't have seat cooling. So it really all depends on where you live. If it gets hot in your area you will welcome the ventilated cooling seats for sure. If it gets extremely cold then the heated steering wheel probably makes sense.
Makes sense. It's also one of those things that you get very used to. My last ride had a keyless start, touch lock/locking, heated steering wheel, heated rears, voice control and soft close doors (2011 BMW 535GT). I'm getting along fine in my 14 Panamera but only have the heated wheel and heated seats front and back but I miss the soft close doors quite a bit.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:19 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

A must have for comfort in my book. Use them even when it s not so hot on longer trips. Also use heat seat and steering wheel when needed.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:40 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I find out this summer....signed on the dotted line this evening on a 2012 P4.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:59 AM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
I guess I find out this summer....signed on the dotted line this evening on a 2012 P4.
Congrats!

Quick Reply: Vented seats - do they work?