Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Suggestions to Porsche on Standard Features vs. Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:05 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Suggestions to Porsche on Standard Features vs. Options

As a second-gen 2015 Panamera owner who's buying a third-gen 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, I've had lots of time to consider the features, some of which are really frustrating. For example, adaptive cruise control is standard on lots of way-cheaper cars, including the $35k Toyota Avalon. So I've constructed a list of things I think *should* be standard in a Panamera 4 that are not standard, and a list of things that should be options that are not. I invite other suggestions and comments, also.

What should be standard in Pan4:

Adaptive cruise control (standard in other car brands 1/3 to 1/2 the price)
Blind-spot warning lights on mirrors (standard in other car brands 1/3 to 1/2 the price)
PDLS with turning lights at curves (standard in other car brands half the price)
Night-vision infrared camera (should be required in all cars for safety)
14-way seats with memory and lumbar (standard in other car brands half the price)
All-weather rubber floor mats
manual-control front-center vent (not offered 2018 models)
Larger rear-view mirrors (not offered)
Engine coolant temperature gauge always visible
Seat-belt-unfastened and other warning lights in smaller lights that don’t block other gauges
Internal air circulation doesn’t reset if fan is off
Option to have no external lights on while driving
Redundancy in left digital panel in instrument panel with things you can customize in the right panel (which are invisible when showing night-vision camera or map)

What should be optional in Pan4:

Each individual sunroof (standard now)
18-inch wheels (19-inch standard now)
Spare wheel/tire with case/cover/securing straps for placing in cargo bay (have to buy now as separate parts purchase, but should be able to order with car)
Non-auto-dimming mirrors (standard now; I don't like the reduced visibility in dimmed mirrors in daytime)
Existence of sticking-up center/top-dashboard clock/chronometer (standard; not possible to order without)
Center/top-dashboard sticking-up as a clock, not chronometer (clock not possible in 2018 with Sport Chrono package as standard in my E-Hybrid)
Non-leather seats
Higher basic ground clearance (by 2 inches)
Mechanical gear shifter (electronic standard 2018)

Of course, I can see Porsche saying "ok, we'll make those things standard and up the base price by $10k or $15k", but there should be a way to cut out some other "standard features" and make them optional features to keep the cost from going up a lot. Sunroof/panoramic roof systems typically cost $2k, for example. I buy a Porsche for the driving experience and stability, not for the luxury inside, as I'm sure lots of people do.

Last edited by cometguy; 11-28-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:15 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On my 2015 s-eh the red/black leather combo was about £500 option because full black leather was standard.
On my new 4EH its about £3200 option, as the standard is only part leather.

So if anything they will take stuff off to reduce the list price of the car, to make it more attractive, then, once your hooked, you struggle to resist some options.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

The option that’s missing is a good HUD. Porsche is miles behind on this.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

I would add that they should allow an option to override/disable the start/stop feature rather than having it default to on every time car is started.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I would add that they should allow an option to override/disable the start/stop feature rather than having it default to on every time car is started.
I'm so happy this is default on my '14 Pan4. Turned it off and never thought about it again.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:22 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
I'm so happy this is default on my '14 Pan4. Turned it off and never thought about it again.
Yes - those were the days! We have a programmable button on the steering wheel that we can use as a shortcut for whatever setting we like. We chose to program it to disable the start/stop. Sometimes the button forgets the setting. This is very annoying in both ways - the button not always working, and dealing with it every time the car re-starts.

We have a “shopping list” (at least 12 items) of electronic gremlins that are not properly or consistently working. We are bringing it in soon for service. We’re hoping it’s a simple re-flash or software update.

Our experience is that Porsche doesn’t do “technology” terribly well — at least not compared to other marques. Ours is a 2018 with about 5500 miles. We got it shortly before we left for the winter. It was just broken in with 2000 miles (and an oil change) at the start of our trip in Dec. While we were gone we began keeping a list when the malfunctions exceeded a few things. It’s nothing that affects driving - just annoying things that should be seamless but don’t work consistently.

We bought it thinking we’d keep it quite a long time - but now are questioning whether it’ll be a good car to own out of warranty. Time will tell....

Otherwise it’s a great car - very comfortable and we are (generally) happy with the purchase.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:27 PM
DevLep
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
The option that’s missing is a good HUD. Porsche is miles behind on this.
I agree 100%.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

You should email them your list. I suspect they will adjust their options and standard features very quickly.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM
lexhair
Pro

Shocked mine has no ability to voice dial my iPhone, other than the "hit or miss" screaming of "Hey Siri" over my Burmester.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:49 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HUD is coming to Porsche - spoke with dealer this week. I think on the Cayenne will have it eventually.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the HUD (heads up display) on my Audi all the time. When specking my Panamera, I was surprised that it was not an available option. It is something I will miss. I do hope it is available soon.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:22 PM
CaptainAmer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi CometGuy,
I am using Porsche's web configurator to design a 2019 Panamera 4 and have a couple of questions. I see you addressed one in this thread.
"Existence of sticking-up center/top-dashboard clock/chronometer (standard; not possible to order without)"
"Center/top-dashboard sticking-up as a clock, not chronometer (clock not possible in 2018)"
I love the interior but am not a fan of the looks of the stick-up clock/chronometer and would like to order without and just have a flat grill there. Did a dealer tell you that it was not possible to order without? Do you think they knew what they were talking about?
I've seen in a standard equipment list that the compass comes as standard equipment. I've looked at pictures of new 2018's for sale at dealers and sure enough, some of them have the compass on top of the dash. But, some 2018's are shown with the analog clock there. I can't figure out what puts the compass or the clock there. I know there is an order code QR3 Analogue clock on dashboard. Is this a code that the dealer can put on the order sheet ($0 cost I presume since not in the configurator) and if it is there you get the clock and if it is not there you get the compass.
I am fully aware that if you get the Sport Chrono package you get the chronometer in its place but I am not selecting that option. I think I also get your point above about if you get the Chrono package but would rather have the clock you cannot.
If you have any insight on what gets the compass vs clock and how you learned it is impossible to get neither, I'd really appreciate it.

The other option I don't quite get is for one of the leather options in the interior.
  1. Seat Console (front) $1,710
    1. Driver and front passenger front seat controls incl. trim panels
    2. Driver and front passenger front seat storage compartments
    3. Driver and front passenger seat console
Do you know if when refer to the 'trim panels' are they talking about the panel that the seat controls sit on? Or are they talking about the trim panels where the wood/carbon fiber goes on the doors? The seat storage compartments I take it are on the doors so that is clear. But when they refer to the 'driver and front passenger seat console' I think they are referring to the center console between the two seats but that is already covered in leather from the Leather Interior Option so not sure on what more they are doing with this option.
Thanks.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:42 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAmer
Hi CometGuy,
I am using Porsche's web configurator to design a 2019 Panamera 4 and have a couple of questions. I see you addressed one in this thread.
"Existence of sticking-up center/top-dashboard clock/chronometer (standard; not possible to order without)"
"Center/top-dashboard sticking-up as a clock, not chronometer (clock not possible in 2018)"
I love the interior but am not a fan of the looks of the stick-up clock/chronometer and would like to order without and just have a flat grill there. Did a dealer tell you that it was not possible to order without? Do you think they knew what they were talking about?
I've seen in a standard equipment list that the compass comes as standard equipment. I've looked at pictures of new 2018's for sale at dealers and sure enough, some of them have the compass on top of the dash. But, some 2018's are shown with the analog clock there. I can't figure out what puts the compass or the clock there. I know there is an order code QR3 Analogue clock on dashboard. Is this a code that the dealer can put on the order sheet ($0 cost I presume since not in the configurator) and if it is there you get the clock and if it is not there you get the compass.
I am fully aware that if you get the Sport Chrono package you get the chronometer in its place but I am not selecting that option. I think I also get your point above about if you get the Chrono package but would rather have the clock you cannot.
If you have any insight on what gets the compass vs clock and how you learned it is impossible to get neither, I'd really appreciate it.

The other option I don't quite get is for one of the leather options in the interior.
  1. Seat Console (front) $1,710
    1. Driver and front passenger front seat controls incl. trim panels
    2. Driver and front passenger front seat storage compartments
    3. Driver and front passenger seat console
Do you know if when refer to the 'trim panels' are they talking about the panel that the seat controls sit on? Or are they talking about the trim panels where the wood/carbon fiber goes on the doors? The seat storage compartments I take it are on the doors so that is clear. But when they refer to the 'driver and front passenger seat console' I think they are referring to the center console between the two seats but that is already covered in leather from the Leather Interior Option so not sure on what more they are doing with this option.
Thanks.

I got the Pan4 E-Hybrid, which comes with the Sport Chrono package standard. I don't think I had an option (at least in the options list I looked at) to have a compass or analog clock there instead of the chronometer. I'm not using this car for racing (I doubt that few will), so I can't figure out why they'd force a chronometer on us. I'll never use it, and I have the light turned off at night so that I only see the digital clock there when it's dark. I see that any Panameras ordered now will be 2019 models, so they may have made a change in this option over my 2018 version. As for 2018 Panameras with the analog clock, I'm assuming those would be with the red needles/hands (not E-Hybrids, which have green needles and second hand).

Not sure what they mean by console in your context. Does it not show on the configurator? I thought that when you ask for special panels/colors that it shows up there on the interior view... It may be the little compartment between the piano-black control panel where the gear shifter is and the cupholders and storage compartment between the seats (which serves as storage or lighter/ashtray, depending on whether you get smoking package or not).

I've also edited my thread-starter message from 8 months ago to reflect things that I know more now with my car.

Last edited by cometguy; 11-28-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:03 AM
lexhair
Pro

I'd like Herr Dr. Ing. Porsche to design something as standard to keep my neighborhood's fallen leaf inventory out of my front cowl. This is my first autumn with the 970.2 and I've never had so many leaves accumulate in such a relatively inaccessible (unless you've got a joint between your wrist and elbow) location.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:18 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

Then your wish is granted. Reach down and press the start/stop button in center console. Voila.
Your car now, as default, does not have start/stop enabled. Just in case, save the settings on the door, so the key remembers it.

Originally Posted by needmoregarage

Quick Reply: Suggestions to Porsche on Standard Features vs. Options